Air Wing Redux

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are happy with Garauld's mount as the mount for the air wings I will see if I can get a set ready to go ASAP through Baker that will be specific to the FJR. I have already worked with Bruce on the basic shapes, just need to get the mounting hardware in the right spot. Interest???
:clapping:
I like looks of Garauld's mount better than look of the brackets, but have not seen any feedback on how well they work. I see where some of you have said you really liked the way brackets worked. I guess my question is -do the mounts work as well? I am very interested in the Baker wings either way they might be installed but would prefer mount if it worked as well.

I like looks of Garauld's mount better than look of the brackets, but have not seen any feedback on how well they work. I see where some of you have said you really liked the way brackets worked. I guess my question is -do the mounts work as well? I am very interested in the Baker wings either way they might be installed but would prefer mount if it worked as well.

They work fantastic. I set up the G bracket install originally, have had the setup now for a summer, fall, and now spring. Fall and spring-turn the wings in and it has the effect of widening the fairing a good 5-6 inches each side, warmer, and keeps wind off the hands. Combined with the V-Strom handguards there is no need for electric heat to 25 degrees. In summer, turning the wings directs a TON of air at the tank and chest if wanted. Positioned as they are, at the tips of the brackets, they grab the air coming off the fairing sides and direct it at you in sufficient volume to mimic an unfaired machine. A plus is that you can also hang lights off of them.

I'm interested in the wings. Do you have a pic of what the mounts look like? I have an 04 with stock mirrors.

The G mount wing install.

Wings002.jpg

Set for warm weather air direction.

Wings003.jpg

Close up of mounting.

Wings005.jpg

Wings004.jpg

Set for cold riding. Also nice for helping keep hands dry in the wet.

Not great pics, but I was in a hurry. Sue me. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Rad,

I want to mount the FJR specific wings on your G-Mounts to check alignment. Give me a call later tonite. Maybe I can swing by and check it out.

I'm still interested as in the wings. no matter how they'll be mounted. (Well... looks still does matter). Quess I'll just have to start looking for lights to hang off the mounts.

Thanks, John

aluminum copy of air wing

Maximuspics021.jpg

Cleans up real easy 0000 steel wool+wax to get the bugs off. inside painted flat black.

I’ve tried to follow the conversations within this message and the old ones, but I’m kinda at a loss. Like FJR-Fan stated earlier, anything to help the air flow is of interest regardless of how it’s mounted. As I read across the different topics, it appears that Baker is looking into providing brackets (similar to the brackets originally developed by Garauld) but assume they are not available yet. Looks like the only way to get something now would be to order a set of blank brackets from Garauld, and order a set of the Baker wings. Is this a correct assumption?

BULL

I’ve tried to follow the conversations within this message and the old ones, but I’m kinda at a loss. Like FJR-Fan stated earlier, anything to help the air flow is of interest regardless of how it’s mounted. As I read across the different topics, it appears that Baker is looking into providing brackets (similar to the brackets originally developed by Garauld) but assume they are not available yet. Looks like the only way to get something now would be to order a set of blank brackets from Garauld, and order a set of the Baker wings. Is this a correct assumption?
BULL
Actually, I just received an email from Baker and they're now offering what looks like a package that includes brackets and the wings specifically for the FJR1300. They didn't list a price, and since I already have mine set up I didn't bother looking any further, but you may want to check that out.

Looks like wings will be available directly from Baker. Mounts too. I will post the PDF I got when I get a little free time.