All New Tom Tom Rider GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that perspective, Joe. I'm not yet at the point of replacing my Garmin StreetPilot 2720, but the increasing inaccuracy of its 2009 maps has me following these GPS discussions to decide what will be next. I'm proficient with MapSource, so it' unfortunate that it involves both hardware and software changes. Customer service like that narrows my range of suitable hardware.
You know you can get the full map on a 2720? Mine is running 2012.40

It's a complicated process as you have to remove the original image from the eeprom, then program it with sufficient of the new map to fill it. The rest will go in the user area.

Full instructions are readily available from a google search.

My experience with TomTom was not good. Wife bought me a Rider model a few years ago. I think it was $450-$500 back then. Unit had a really strong mount. Also liked some of the features, but not all of them. The big issue was that the a few days after the unit's one year warrany had expired, it would not turn on. It was apparently a bad switch or a shorted battey. I called TomTom customer service and they told me that since it was out of warranty, there was nothing they could do. I said, OK, well I am willing to pay for it to be repaired. She said you don't understand, we do not repair them if they break. I said...You mean to tell me that on a $500 GPS unit, you don't have any solution for customers after the one year warranty is up? She said that was correct and said she was sorry for the inconvenience. I searched the internet and couldn't find any vendor that worked on them.
I ordered a battery for it, the special small security torx tools to get it open, and changed out the battery. That was not the issue. Apparently it was the switch and that part was unavailable. So that $500 TomTom has been sitting in a box for the past several years.

So before all you boys throw Garmin, especially their customer service, under the bus...you might want to think twice and do your homework on TomToms warranty policy. Maybe they have changed now and it's better, but you won't catch me spending a dime on one of those units.
That hasn't been my experience of their customer service.
On my first unit, the mount failed (corrosion in the contacts). I phoned them, asking if I could buy a new one. She asked me a few questions, serial numbers, date of purchase. Finally shipped me a new mount free of charge when she could have simply taken my credit card details.

More recently, when mine was stolen, Tomtom helped me in every way they could. My stolen unit is barred from any updates, and they volunteered a 25% discount on a new unit.

Operationally, I have never had the frustration that a co-rider has had with his Garmin, his has been enough to at least prove the toughness of the Garmin as he has thrown it down to the ground in disgust more than once.

On a technical note, the Tomtom should turn on when simply plugged in to its charger or a computer, so I doubt it's the switch at fault.

I've been running Tomtoms since before I've been running FJRs, and I've had as many of each (three). I'm not saying which unit is better (very subjective), just that I have no complaints about the Tomtom units, their operation, or their customer service.

Still running on an original Tom Tom Rider, had it about 8 years. Had some problems with the connectors on the mount. It turned out the internal springs were made of untreated steel and were prone to corrosion.

Stripped them out and treated with ACF-50, haven't had that problem since.

There was also a design problem with the mount where it would flex under certain conditions allowing a momentary break/make which the memory card didn't take kindly to.

Fixed a 'retainer' at the top which clamps the rider to the mount, never been a problem since.

Edit to include: loads of repair facilities available in the UK like this just Google "tom rom rider repair"

Last edited by a moderator:
... Had some problems with the connectors on the mount. It turned out the internal springs were made of untreated steel and were prone to corrosion. ...
That was the problem with my original mount. Ever since, I've occasionally smeared a little petroleum jelly (Vaseline) over the holder's contact area to prevent moisture ingress.

Because its not satellite based and won't navigate once it loses signal. Because it's not waterproof. Because if I crash or do something stupid and break my GPS my phone will still work. Because a phone 'can' navigate, but isn't designed for the purpose of navigating. A phone is a good temporary tool, but a bad substitution.

In all honesty, some people do just use their phone; however, the majority of us do not, mostly for the reasons I listed and more. If it works for you that's great!

Thanks for the feedback HotRodZila. I get it; personal preference then. FWIW here are my thoughts. I have an I phone 5 now. I must admit I liked my Android better for maps though. I did install Google maps and that is an improvement over the Apple built in map application. It does use GPS satellites for mapping location. I have Verizon and though more expensive I find I have impressive coverage. With LTE at lower radio frequencies, the coverage is steadily improving in rural areas. I have found very few areas I don't have coverage, and as long as I start the application within a coverage area, I find I can go a long ways (50 miles or more) out of coverage and still have a map. I get real time traffic information; I can even see if lights are red or green in urban environments, and I can search for way more than I can with the built in NAV in my 2010 Ford. The maps are more detailed and way more up to date too. The only problem I have noticed is if I get a phone call while navigating, I don't get the turn information. I guess it would be a good idea to pull over when I get a phone call anyway. I haven't tried to mount it to use on my bike yet either, so more to learn I am sure.

Phone mapping applications have one fatal flaw. In addition to them being fairly poor for motorcycle use, they need a data signal to download maps on the fly. That can be mitigated by purchasing a mapping app like Co-Pilot that stores the entire map locally, but then you run into problems unless you are routing point A to point B only.

Bottom line is that phones are useful and make a decent "stand-by", but unless your routing needs are very simple and you stay broadly within the range of a data signal, they are not yet ready for primetime.

Because its not satellite based and won't navigate once it loses signal.
Every time someone brings up the idea of using a smart phone people start saying this. On some phone apps it may be true, but it's not true for all of them.

I use a TomTom app on my iPhone. It is satellite based and will navigate once it loses the phone signal. I think I paid about $25 for it. While I know it won't do what at motorcycle specific Garmin or TomTom will do, it will take me from Point A to Point B when I need it to. Right now, that's all I need.

It does use GPS satellites for mapping location. I have Verizon and though more expensive I find I have impressive coverage.

It works, and works well - might be a good idea to get an additional app such as Co-Pilot, which doesn't rely on signal, stores maps on board....

One suggestion.... If you plan on going into Canadia - you better call Verizon ahead of time or you will lose your phone and data as soon as you cross that border..... and that my friend will leave you with NO MAPS. That - buggered me up for a trip a bit, but worked through it with little issue....

I wouldn't mind a dedicated GPS, but I haven't really had the ability to make super long trips yet since I am still busy with work and don't get enough time for such long adventures, you can bet that when I do break free - I'll get a decent one......

Every time someone brings up the idea of using a smart phone people start saying this. On some phone apps it may be true, but it's not true for all of them.I use a TomTom app on my iPhone. It is satellite based and will navigate once it loses the phone signal. I think I paid about $25 for it. While I know it won't do what at motorcycle specific Garmin or TomTom will do, it will take me from Point A to Point B when I need it to. Right now, that's all I need.
AND, that is why I said some people let the phone work for them. The fact that it works for you is awesome. It does not work for me. I guess I haven't figured out how to turn my cell based phone into a sat phone yet, but even then, I'll still prefer my GPS. Either way, whatever makes you happy!!

Every time someone brings up the idea of using a smart phone people start saying this. On some phone apps it may be true, but it's not true for all of them.I use a TomTom app on my iPhone. It is satellite based and will navigate once it loses the phone signal. I think I paid about $25 for it. While I know it won't do what at motorcycle specific Garmin or TomTom will do, it will take me from Point A to Point B when I need it to. Right now, that's all I need.
AND, that is why I said some people let the phone work for them. The fact that it works for you is awesome. It does not work for me. I guess I haven't figured out how to turn my cell based phone into a sat phone yet, but even then, I'll still prefer my GPS. Either way, whatever makes you happy!!
No sweat. I was just clarifying that it will, indeed, work with no cell signal and use the satellites.

I could be wrong on this, but I think that all current cell phones are required to have an internal satellite GPS receiver built in (for 911 call reasons).

There may be some models that can't use the GPS for anything else, but I know my old crackberry and current iPhone4 (overdue for an upgrade) can both use the GPS for position in apps (like mapping) as well, if the GPS is enabled in the phone's configuration.

The only thing you need the wireless data connection for is downloading map segments. And that can be eliminated by loading certain apps that preload the maps in advance.

I still like my dedicated GPS a lot better, but the phone technology is getting better all the time.

I could be wrong on this, but I think that all current cell phones are required to have an internal satellite GPS receiver built in (for 911 call reasons).
There may be some models that can't use the GPS for anything else, but I know my old crackberry and current iPhone4 (overdue for an upgrade) can both use the GPS for position in apps (like mapping) as well, if the GPS is enabled in the phone's configuration.

The only thing you need the wireless data connection for is downloading map segments. And that can be eliminated by loading certain apps that preload the maps in advance.

I still like my dedicated GPS a lot better, but the phone technology is getting better all the time.
Yep. I let the maps download at home on my wifi or at hotels, McDonalds, etc.

Though the phone gets the job done, I expect I'll get a dedicated GPS sooner or later, and this TomTom may just be the ticket. I know I won't be spending $800 on one
smile.png

One suggestion.... If you plan on going into Canadia - you better call Verizon ahead of time or you will lose your phone and data as soon as you cross that border.....
You won't lose your data, but it will cost you an arm and a leg. We travel in Canada often and turn off our data roaming. Turned it on once to do some office emails and web stuff. A few hours cost over $200. It is much the same for the Canadians when they head south I'm told.

I use the iPhone for nav, and it works OK. I use Google maps; not the Apple mapping app. The iPhone ...

(1) Can't store a "route", so nav is point-to-point only. Just fine for BMR, but doesn't work for planning a loop ride through the mountains or guaranteeing that I ride on a specific road between points.

(2) Gets a little hard to read in our bright Southern sunshine, so I've been known to do stupid shit while trying to shade it or crane my head into a different viewing angle.

(3) Phone calls, incoming text messages, calendar reminders, etc., etc., all produce a small window that blocks one's view of the map screen and turn directions.

(4) I have had it overheat -- once only -- but it's wintertime for heaven's sake; who knows how it will handle July and August.

(5) Mounting is via a RAM Aquabox, with a slot cut into the box's back face for my power cord. ('Weatherproofed' the slot with heavy duct tape.) It's performed just fine in moderate rain; haven't had a frog strangler test yet.

(6) Works seamlessly with the Sena 20S, connecting immediately and filling my hat with great music and that sexy "turn left in 1/4 mile" voice.

Bought a Garmin a month ago, because I recognize the advantages (see items 1 through 5 above) of a purpose-built nav device.

Same old story. Smart phones are getting better at all sorts of things.

The obvious example is as a camera. But, while you can take some good pictures with a phone camera, they are not as versatile, or in the limit as good as, a dedicated camera.

Same with navigation.

For serious motorcycle navigation, a motorcycle-specific GPS navigation device will, in the end, be better than a phone. Waterproof, rugged, proper motorcycle mount. The touch screen is a pressure screen, suitable for motorcycle gloves, without messing with stick-on conductive tips. Useful navigation choices, including not using motorways, choosing winding roads (though maybe phone applications can do that?) ...

The newer Tomtoms (the only satnav with which I am properly familiar) come with free map updates four times per year for life, so maps being out of date shouldn't be a major issue, (but it takes a while on a computer to update).

All in all, a dedicated unit is my preference.

It's a common misconception that cell phone software needs data plan for navigation.

There are many affordable apps that store the maps in memory, removing the need for a data connection.

However, all the mapping software I have seen provide poor planning capacity. Most of them will take you from point A to B with limited options. I personally like to tweak my itinerary to discover new back roads and avoid certain areas.

My iPhone is pretty much unreadable in broad daylight, and can't be operated wth regular gloves. I paid an astronomical amount of $ for my Garmin 350, but if I had to do it again I would do it without hesitation.

...Ben...

I got my Zumo 590LM for $634 before the price increase in November, and using a replacement discount warranty through Garmin. I'm happy with the GPS and would not own it at the current retail price. Nothing comes close to this unit for delivering GPS guidance, clear bright screen, traffic and weather off Smartlink, and a variety of music options.

Once thing about buying an expensive thing like this is once you've done it, you can stop thinking about how much it cost, and just go out and enjoy it.