All New Tom Tom Rider GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love threads like this because I am constantly wrestling with whether to go get a purpose built motorcycle GPS unit or improvise with other devices and technology. I used to have the ZUMO 450 but gradually grew tired of the constant updating and storage capacity issues. There is nothing very intuitive or user-friendly about the older ZUMO devices in my opinion. Maybe the newer ones are better but the prices are absurd.

This year I'm going to see if the smart phone or tablet methodology works.

Here's an article I'm just now reading lately.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/gps/nexus-7-gps/using-a-tablet-as-a-gps.htm

I love threads like this because I am constantly wrestling with whether to go get a purpose built motorcycle GPS unit or improvise with other devices and technology. I used to have the ZUMO 450 but gradually grew tired of the constant updating and storage capacity issues. There is nothing very intuitive or user-friendly about the older ZUMO devices in my opinion. Maybe the newer ones are better but the prices are absurd.
This year I'm going to see if the smart phone or tablet methodology works.

Here's an article I'm just now reading lately.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/gps/nexus-7-gps/using-a-tablet-as-a-gps.htm
Garmin prices were always "absurd". I have several 2720s, the box of one of them still carries the original price of $750. That would be the one I bought on Amazon as "used". It arrived looking like it had never been taken out of the box, and it was $58!

I just bought a second Nuvi 765T, again on Amazon and again in "As New" condition, for $60. It had 2010 maps installed and cost me $45 to update to 2015.

The update process did not go well, and involved spending 90 mins on the phone with Garmin tech, and the sending of a bunch of log files. Turns out the issue was that the latest version of Garmin Express was broken, preventing the unit updating. Boos to Garmin for that, and Cheers to Garmin for spending so much time patiently fixing what is now an obsolete unit.

The 765T is the Nuvi that most closely replicates the entire functionality of the Zumo 550. The only real difference is that it does not have a Headset Profile in bluetooth, which is annoying if you want it to handle the phone on a motorcycle (it won't).

My current 765T has been on the bike for the last 40000 miles and performed flawlessly, so replacing it with a new unit for $105 was a no-brainer really. The old one is just beginning to show its age and I'll keep it in the topcase as a spare.

I'd love to buy a Zumo, but not at any price. My set up while riding is a Nuvi 765T and a StreetPilot 2720, total cost was around $165 and I've never had cause to regret those purchases.

I am very interested in the new Garmin Dezl 770. It is the first "non-Zumo" unit that Garmin has allowed a Headset Profile. It is $400. The main issue is that it is a 7" screen, and that's too big. The Dezl 570 (5") doesn't have the Headset Profile. When the price of the 770 drops a bit I might jump in, it is at least $300 cheaper than the Zumo, and I'm not paying that for waterproofing, a slightly brighter screen and vibration proofing, whatever that means.

I've never had an issue with vibration, and the Nuvis, and baggies remain waterproof.

It's great to have access to people who know about a topic in some real detail. Now let me Google Garmin Dezl 770.

Edit: Looks promising. If I get it I'm going to add the back-up camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a common misconception that cell phone software needs data plan for navigation.
Not a misconception, just not a universal truth (there is a difference).

It is absolutely true for most free mapping apps but untrue for some purchased apps that will store the map data. But how much free memory do you have on your smart phone to store those maps and way points?

Once thing about buying an expensive thing like this is once you've done it, you can stop thinking about how much it cost, and just go out and enjoy it.
Fully agree. Take the $5-600 you spent on a dedicated unit and spread it out over 5-6 years (or more) and many enjoyable road trips and the price just doesn't feel so bad. I'm pretty sure that Garmin wouldn't charge so much for their motorcycle GPSes if people weren't so willing to pay it.

I used to have the ZUMO 450 but gradually grew tired of the constant updating and storage capacity issues. There is nothing very intuitive or user-friendly about the older ZUMO devices in my opinion. Maybe the newer ones are better but the prices are absurd.
The new GPS unit prices are no more absurd than the old ones were, really.

Your old zumo 450 was a very capable GPS, and still is actually. If you have lifetime maps you don't have to load every map update that they come out with. The main thing that is being updated is the POI database. New POIs are constantly being added, but I don't think they are as vigilant at removing the dead ones. I wish they would, since that would help with the continuously growing mapset size issue.

The "fix" that I came up with for the zumo 550 memory limitation also works for the zumo 450. No it isn't simple or intuitive, but it also isn't rocket science. Lots of regular folks have been able to do it.

I just bought a second Nuvi 765T, again on Amazon and again in "As New" condition, for $60. It had 2010 maps installed and cost me $45 to update to 2015. The update process did not go well, and involved spending 90 mins on the phone with Garmin tech, and the sending of a bunch of log files. Turns out the issue was that the latest version of Garmin Express was broken, preventing the unit updating. Boos to Garmin for that, and Cheers to Garmin for spending so much time patiently fixing what is now an obsolete unit.
I also had issues with Garmin Express on my zumos, related to using Windows XP. For some reason Garmin felt compelled to fall in lockstep with Micro$oft while they try to screw their loyal XP user base. I learned to avoid the lousy GArmin Express update software and downloaded and use the old MapUpdater.exe from Garmin instead, even now that I have updated my desktop PC to bleeding edge Windows 7 ;) .

It's a common misconception that cell phone software needs data plan for navigation.

It is absolutely true for most free mapping apps but untrue for some purchased apps that will store the map data. But how much free memory do you have on your smart phone to store those maps and way points?
Just an fyi for those that didn't know....

The new version of Co-pilot app allows your choice of full loading of maps on the External SD card now if it supports such a feature.....

I deleted the maps from onboard the device and downloaded them again to load directly onto the External micro SD card....

Now I'm not stating this to deter anyone from getting a dedicated GPS because I think they have their place for many... I don't get the opportunity to ride super long distances with my career just yet - but when I'm more free and able, I'll def be looking for a dedicated GPS, until then my phone will have to suffice....

Last edited by a moderator:

1.6Gb for the US maps and the TomTom app on my phone. I've got about 10Gb of music and a few other apps. I've still got 10Gb of room on the thing.

I wish I knew how they store all those maps in 1.6Gb.
smile.png

it will take me from Point A to Point B when I need it to. Right now, that's all I need.
I didn't get a GPS to get me from point A to point B. I use mine to get from point A to point Q via points B-P. IMO, while Garmin isn't great, it is currently the best of what is out there for doing custom routing in a waterproof package.

it will take me from Point A to Point B when I need it to. Right now, that's all I need.
I didn't get a GPS to get me from point A to point B. I use mine to get from point A to point Q via points B-P. IMO, while Garmin isn't great, it is currently the best of what is out there for doing custom routing in a waterproof package.
And that is exactly why some of us find a phone to be completely adequate and others don't
thumbsup_zps3bf1eb32.gif

Hhahahah time to go down the road of the Android vs Iphone debate..... ? ?

Some people just like handcuffs

Lol...My company gives me an iPhone too. What a flaming piece of shit! It spends 95% of it's life mounted in my car playing Pandora because it's not good for anything else. I do all real work on my Droid with a 32 gig memory card. I don't understand the fascination with Apple. Poor devices that are over-priced and force people to buy more Apple crap. Maybe it's because once the kool-aid is drunk, so much money is sunk into their junk and nothing can be re retrieved,so people are stuck. Bummer.

IF I was going to use a phone for navigation, it would be Droid based.

I just got back from a multiday trip to Big Bend National Park and back. If I wanted to navigate using the interstates and major highways then a phone would have been mostly fine. However, the whole point of an FJR is sport touring which, to me, means chasing down as many twisties as you can while you take the long way to get where you are going. We built routes on google and loaded them to the GPS unit. I haven't found a phone app that can do that. Also, I understand that the motorcycle specific GPS's from Tom Tom and Garmin have a twisty roads feature that will route you down those types of roads without having to preload your own custom route.

I wanted to wait for the new TomTom before making a big investment in a bike GPS. But I wanted a GPS to get to Big Bend and back. So I took a tip off a board from another sport tourer and bought a used Garmin Nuvi 765T for only $70. It came with a RAM mount and both a cig lighter adapter as well as a USB cable. Yes, the map was old so I bought a $20 CD card with Garmin 2015 map on eBay (you can find the US only map for $10 but I got Mexico and Canada too just in case <evil grin>). Yes, it's the NUVI is meant for a car (although I switched out the car avatar with a motorcycle) and yes, it can't get wet. But it has just about all the features I would want except the twisty road automatic routing including bluetooth and playing music, etc. and I can put a plastic baggie over it if needed. So, not a bad cheap alterative. I learned a lot after spending 2,200 miles on my FJR in 4.5 days. The GPS saved our bacon on our multiday route planning many times and it would've been much harder to navigate through all those 18 routes we found on motorcycleroads.com with paper instructions.

My $0.02.

If the unit has an external speaker, and allows you to upload routes then I'm in. that way I could use it for both the car and bike. I think this is at a price point where it should be. I have been looking for a less expensive solution that has the ability to mount to a bike securely.

FWIW, I picked up a used 765T from eBay for around $80. Upgraded the maps, and paired it with my Sena SMH5FM as a media device. My phone is still paired to the Sena as well. This looks like a pretty good setup. I have a really hard time with the pricing of the Zumo units, as for my dollar, the value equation doesn't work out. BTW, my phone also has offline maps installed in the event that I need something that the 765T doesn't have. I just don't like using the phone as a primary GPS on the bike.

I haven't found a phone app that can do that.
There isn't one as far as I know. And I've checked out all of them.

Also, I understand that the motorcycle specific GPS's from Tom Tom and Garmin have a twisty roads feature that will route you down those types of roads without having to preload your own custom route.
I don't know about the new Garmin's but the new TomTom I just got has that feature. How it works and how well it works I don't know just yet but I will be testing it out.

Yes, it's the NUVI is meant for a car (although I switched out the car avatar with a motorcycle) and yes, it can't get wet.
The other issue to look out for with car specific GPS units is they are *not* "hardened" for the vibrations and punishments a motorcycle can dish out.

If the unit has an external speaker, and allows you to upload routes then I'm in.
I just got one of the new TomTom Rider GPS' for review. It has external speakers and the ability to upload routes so....you're in, apparently.
smile.png
Cool! (How did you score this unit?)

Looking forward to learning what TomTom is offering for bikes this year. Particularly curious about the "gestures" with gloves bit.