All New Tom Tom Rider GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other issue to look out for with car specific GPS units is they are *not* "hardened" for the vibrations and punishments a motorcycle can dish out.
In practise this does not seem to be an issue. Certainly not a big enough issue to make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other issue to look out for with car specific GPS units is they are *not* "hardened" for the vibrations and punishments a motorcycle can dish out.
In practise this does not seem to be an issue. Certainly not a big enough issue to make a difference.
Especially since you can buy like eight car GPS's for what a Garmin motorcycle specific GPS costs.

I wish TomTom would add a MP3 player to the GPS. That is the only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger.
That shouldn't be a reason...I've got more music loaded on my phone, than on my I-pod
Currently I listen to music from my non-smart phone to sena smh10 via bluetooth. i don't beleive i can use the phone as a music device at the same time as connecting to the tom tom. the last time i communicated with sena, they told me i would need a bluetooth hub and hardwire the devices to it.

hopefully i'm misunderstanding the who technology thing.

You're not. If you pair your phone to your Sena, the phone takes priority and you won't get any audio from the GPS. Kinda sucks.

I have the current iteration of the Tom Tom Rider and I'm still getting used to all it does or doesn't offer (just got it a couple months ago after using Garmin for years). I use my iPhone with it and my Sena SMH10 with no problems. The phone handles all of my music and when the Tom Tom needs to talk, the music stops for a moment to let that happen. The only issue I've had so far is that the volume on the Tom Tom is crackle-inducingly (new word?) high as compared to everything else (both the Sena voice and my phone's music). That might be my fault for not fiddling around with it more, but I'm pretty sure I have the Tom Tom's volume set as low as it'll go.

I've never bothered to see about syncing up the phone to the Tom Tom...as a general rule, I don't use the phone for calls.

If the unit has an external speaker, and allows you to upload routes then I'm in.
I just got one of the new TomTom Rider GPS' for review. It has external speakers and the ability to upload routes so....you're in, apparently.
smile.png
Cool! (How did you score this unit?)
It's my job. :)

I'm a journalist and companies send me stuff to write and talk about.

It is for those people who have had their inexpensive GPS' or phones shaken to death by their motorcycle. :)

Also, I understand that the motorcycle specific GPS's from Tom Tom and Garmin have a twisty roads feature that will route you down those types of roads without having to preload your own custom route.
I don't know about the new Garmin's but the new TomTom I just got has that feature. How it works and how well it works I don't know just yet but I will be testing it out.

Yes, it's the NUVI is meant for a car (although I switched out the car avatar with a motorcycle) and yes, it can't get wet.
I find the "winding roads" feature a real boon. It has three settings so you can choose how winding, although obviously it can't run along in front and create roads that aren't there ;) . I showed an example of winding routes in a previous post, this for a Tomtom Rider Pro.
The other really important feature of a motorcycle-specific GPS is the weatherproofing of the unit and its mount. I doubt that any car-specific unit is waterproof.

You're not. If you pair your phone to your Sena, the phone takes priority and you won't get any audio from the GPS. Kinda sucks.
Maybe we have different GPS/phone models, but my experience is different:
I have a Garmin 350 and an iPhone 5S, both paired to my Sena SMH10R. I listen to the music from the phone, and the GPS interrupts it to give directions. It actually pauses the music instead of just overriding it. I have also tried to initiate /answer a phone call from the Sena and it works fine too.

...Ben...

Maybe we have different GPS/phone models, but my experience is different:
I have a Garmin 350 and an iPhone 5S, both paired to my Sena SMH10R. I listen to the music from the phone, and the GPS interrupts it to give directions. It actually pauses the music instead of just overriding it. I have also tried to initiate /answer a phone call from the Sena and it works fine too.

...Ben...
Sena has a special pairing mode that allows a media device and a phone. Once in that mode, set the GPS to the media device and repair your phone as the phone device. I did that for my SMH5FM and it works great. I believe the only caveat will be that you won't be able to play music from your phone, but I rarely ever did that anyway.

After an update from Sena and not a little cursing, I managed to get iphone 5 and TT Rider 2 to pair seamlessly with my SMH5 when all power up.

Also get music from the phone which is paused to get audio from the TT, make and receive calls using TT screen, SMH10 or Siri and of course intercom too.

I have the current iteration of the Tom Tom Rider and ... The only issue I've had so far is that the volume on the Tom Tom is crackle-inducingly (new word?) high as compared to everything else (both the Sena voice and my phone's music). ...
I have a similar issue with my TomTom Rider 2013, the Sena 20S, and iPhone 5S. The volume of the TomTom is always LOUD relative to other sources. Likely a Sena firmware bug. Still unresolved for now...

To expand upon all that's already been said, it really comes down to which bluetooth profiles are being used by various devices.

The three (or four) profiles primarily used in these types of configurations include:

• HSP (Headset profile): This is mono-only, and provides basic phone controls, including the ability to ring, answer a call, hang up, and adjust the volume.
  • HFP (Hands Free Profile): This is mono-only, and typically used for phone (strictly phone, no music) or GPS navigation. It has extra features on top of HSP, such as last number redial, call waiting and voice dialing.
  • A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile): This is stereo sound, and what lets you listen to music from either a phone, or a GPS (if the GPS supports it)
  • AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile): This is what allows you to pause your music, or skip forward or back tracks from the Sena
The Sena can only support one pairing per profile. By default, if a device supports all those profiles (i.e. a smartphone), it will take up the HFP, A2DP and AVRCP profiles. With Sena's selective pairing mode, you can choose to have a separate device connect via HFP (i.e. a phone, for phone-only functions), while paired to, say, a GPS that can play music, and also provide voice navigation over the A2DP profile.

I know, it's complicated.

Hopefully an all new unit from Tom Tom will sport all of the latest functions listed above, making pairing easier....

I know that with my Sena 20s 's and my S4 playing (sharing) music I don't need much in the way of comms with the GPS, maybe just directions....

Nice thing is the screen has directions on board - telling you the next turn, which honestly is enough for me, but just the overlay of "turn left here" on the audio side would be more then acceptable....

I'm looking forward to this unit - to see how it pans out..... Hope its a simple product without that huge goofy bundle of en-necessary wires like the new spendy Garmin.

My experiment with the third generation Nexus 7 tablet as GPS continues. I have a Powerlet power supply and RAM X-Grip center stem mount, both stable. I have a hard case for the tablet and - here's the catch - we will find out if it's weather proof. It seems they just don't make Otter Boxes for the Nexus 7 anymore. I've paired the tablet with my Sena 10 as a media device. I'm using my iPhone 5 in a separate RAM X-Grip for phone calls, so paired with the Sena. I'll use Google Play Music Manager to create playlists and then download them to the tablet. A heavy rain may kill this tablet project in which case I will be casting my lonely gaze toward a TomTom or Garmin special purpose device. Time will tell. And the weather will have a say.

My experiment with the third generation Nexus 7 tablet as GPS continues. <clipped>
... and I'm still very interested. Imagine: one tablet, mounted securely above standard FJR instruments, with all auxiliary cockpit inputs/controls/displays.

Simple. Uncluttered. Easily removed when parking. Workable with gloves on, or that asking too much?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread reminds me that my Nuvo 765T indicates the exact same speed as my speedometer for 60mph or less. However, I noticed when I'm going 80mph on the GPS my speedometer indicates 84mph. Anyone else notice this?