Any Suggestions for soft luggage to place on rack behind back rest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Dumke

Reaction score
Anybody have Garauld's luggage rack w or w/o back rest and find a well suited piece of soft luggage to go back there.

Thanks,

John

Paging twowheelnut.........paging mister 'Nut............

He should be along shortly with a piccie of the holy grail of garuald rack luggage of which you seek.

My guess is that it looks like about 12-15" wide by about 12" deep.

While looking through the posts on the rack, I saw this. It looks pretty sweet.

And with a Nelson Rigg CL150

IMG_2758.jpg

Hey! I just ordered a CL150!

Amazon.com - $44.95

('course, with shipping, like $59)

How much room is back there? Nelson Rigg has some good prices. Sumpin' like this perhaps? sample bag
My buddy has that piece. Nice bag at a really decent price. It's pretty good sized, also. The bag actually overlaps the saddlebags some when on the back seat. It's not horrible... but it does overlap some. At least that should give you an idea how wide the bag is.

Wouldn't mind one, myself. It's big enough to actually hold things worth carrying on the bike.

Quote: Sumpin' like this perhaps? sample bag

This bag is 18" wide. Too wide for Garauld's rack IMO. It would probably hanging off at the edges.

Scab,

Are you putting this on a rear luggage rack? Will you give us a report when you get it?

Detailed Pics on CL 150

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, mang. I'll put up some piccies. But I am unsure as to the mount as of yet. It will eiter be on the stock rack, or I will fabricate an internal (hiden) aluminum backrest/bracket, but still stock rack. I have to get my hands on it and see.

I have Garauld rack on 06 and a Tourmaster Cortech sport tail bag-fits perfect

Any pics of the Tourmaster on the luggage rack? I like Tourmaster products!

How much room is back there? Nelson Rigg has some good prices. Sumpin' like this perhaps? sample bag
I have this same bag and it works out well on Geraulds rack. I've been to Nova Scotia with it and down to last years EOM in NC all without incident. I also have the Nelsen Rigg bag that SCAB just bought that I have used for years on my VFR. Either way you can't go wrong. The first one is good if your going to be gone awhile or are two up and the second one is better if its just you for 3 or 4 days. My 2 cents.

DSCF1456.jpg

As some may have seen in some of my other post pic's, I have CL150. My only complaint is that the attachment points on the bag are above the expansion joint. Therefore, when you expand the bag, you have to put some slack in the bungees, or it just crushes it back down to original height. If it is not fully loaded when expanded, I expect it to get a little sloppy if the bungees are slacked out.

Would have been the perfect bag, in my opinion, if the attachments had been made below the expansion zipper.

B)

As some may have seen in some of my other post pic's, I have CL150. My only complaint is that the attachment points on the bag are above the expansion joint. Therefore, when you expand the bag, you have to put some slack in the bungees, or it just crushes it back down to original height. If it is not fully loaded when expanded, I expect it to get a little sloppy if the bungees are slacked out.
Would have been the perfect bag, in my opinion, if the attachments had been made below the expansion zipper.

B)
zzzzzip, Thanks for that observation. That makes sense, cause if the bag was expanded and strapped down with bungee cords, and you opened the top, crap would want to come out. I was set on the CL150, and still may buy it (heck it is cheap enough), but might try to get to a motorcycle shop that has a good inventory of bags (like Chapparel) to try them out. They have a very good price on this bag.

type "204-CL150" in Search Bar - bag price is $44.99

I have a RTB 500 (Nel Rig) that was perfect for the wide rear seat of my 600R, it's a very large bag that will hold a weeks worth of pack. I would never consider putting it on a rack. So the Cl 150 looks like the ticket for the rear of the bike.

-like the quality of the Nelson Riggs and also have the mag tank bag.

:drinks:

-Don