Any Suggestions for soft luggage to place on rack behind back rest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doh....I stand corrected. My Nelsen is a GWR-1000 marketed as a Gold Wing Rear Tail Pack. Its a little bit different than the RTB500 that Scab had directed you to. It looks something like:

gwr1000.jpg

bag

Here's a bag that you can get from Aerostich. It's actually large enough that you can carry enough stuff to be useful. I have it mounted across the passengers seat, but for WFO will have it mounted on a Gerauld's rack.

jim

bag
Here's a bag that you can get from Aerostich. It's actually large enough that you can carry enough stuff to be useful. I have it mounted across the passengers seat, but for WFO will have it mounted on a Gerauld's rack.

jim
Grumpy, what size is that bag (S,M,L)?

Yes, that was somewhere on the Nova Scotia trip........we saw lots of this kind of road maintenance in Canada. It's the large MotoFizz (spelling?) bag. I found it very easy to use and it held a bunch of stuff. Of course, like all "cloth" bags I wouldn't trust it to be even remotely waterproof. We did run thru some rain and it was OK, but the rain wasn't very hard.

jim

Anyone have this bag https://www.newenoughhp.com/firstgear_nylon...il_bag_page.htm ?

It's the Firstgear Nylon Expandable Tail Bag.

One of my finalists for purchase. One of the others is the Nelson Rigg CL-150. Both are about the same price so it's a coin toss... I guess. *shrug*

Anyone who has a Firstgear bag and opinion please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the CL-150! Went to Chaparrel today, the ultimate man's toy store. Looked at a lot of other alternatives, but the CL-150 looked like the best compromise between size and looks. The price was only $44.99. Dang that's cheap.

I noticed that the new one doesn't have the plastic buckles that tie into the integrated side bags on the front/rear of the bag. They are located inside the zippered pockets of the flaps. This would eliminate zzzzzips concern of using when expanded.

In figuring out the best way to mount this bag on Garauld's rack, I am reminded of how my Ventura Luggage system worked on my YZF1000. On the outside of the bag, there was a sleave that slipped over the rack. Then the bag was secured with two plastic buckles & straps. In the case of the CL 150, I would mount straps/buckles on the bottom of the bag at the leading edge and run the straps around the leading edge of the rack or the seat post. Using either one or two straps/buckles - not sure yet). To remove the bag unclip at the leading edge and slide the bag backwards off the rack.

The two flaps essentially create a sleeve. Just secure the two flaps with additional Plastic Buckles & strap (just like the original one that is there, which keep the flaps in place when not in use). Maybe it would be best to run the straps attaching the two flaps through the rack for additional safety. I figure either sew or pop rivet the straps on. Probably sewing would be best.

Source For Plastic Buckles

5 - Buckles for 3/4" strap

And a couple feet of strap

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. You guys and this forum are the Best!

I have a Nelson Rigg overnighter left over from my cruiser. I'm getting Gary's rack and backrest this week and will let people know how it works. With this bag I went an easy weekend without having to do wash (when expanded) and I like how the flap creates a bigger backrest area for the wife. Just hope it leaves enough room fo her when on. And after I got the straps set just so and practiced, I could have the bag off or put back on in less than a minute. Great for commuting stuff to/from work. Hope it fits..........

Here is a link:

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/pages/Cruiser-Pr.../CTB450-Big.htm

UPDATE: Put Gary's magnificent smaller rack and standard backrest on yesterday with the standard oval backrest pad, and the Nelson Rigg pack above fits on the rack fine; however there are four hook-and-koop straps that go across the backrest to help support it. Only three go across. The fourth I ran diagonally across the backpad as a temporary solution. In summary, it will work and gives a ton of storage for the money, but I couldn't recommend the bag in this application without a taller backrest pad that came up about 9 inches from the rack.

I just got this bag. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it looks like it is going to be a great day tripper and overnighter. It fits the rack perfect.

DSCN0758.jpg

There are bigger and better bags for the long haul. I have used this bag a lot and it is great.