Any suggestions on smallest 12v carry-on compressor...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<edit in> 4"H x 3.5"W x 2"D Found them on fleabay for $39.99 shipped. Good deal?
I've found the Walmart ones are less than $15 (Slime or Campbell Hausfeld), remove the guts, and about the same dimensions and look as the Aerostich. They also call them "inflators" I believe instead of "compressors". I've used a CH 7 or 8 times over the years and still running strong. I find the CO2 bulky and expensive for the limited amount of air they provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
4"H x 3.5"W x 2"D Found them on fleabay for $39.99 shipped. Good deal?
I've found the Walmart ones are less than $15 (Slime or Campbell Hausfeld), remove the guts, and about the same dimensions and look as the Aerostich. They also call them "inflators" I believe instead of "compressors". I've used a CH 7 or 8 times over the years and still running strong. I find the CO2 bulky and expensive for the limited amount of air they provide.
I agree, Ignacio. The CO2 cartridges are expensive. That's why I only use them when time is of the essence. Otherwise, the Aerostitch mini is the way to go. :)

OK, I ponied up for the Aerostich. Mainly b/c I didn't want to rip apart a Walmart purchased one and I will have a warranty on the Stich.

OK, I ponied up for the Aerostich. Mainly b/c I didn't want to rip apart a Walmart purchased one and I will have a warranty on the Stich.
KJ now yer gonna fit in nicley with the Beemer crowd...
Snerk!

KJ, you find a BMW forum to haunt yet or you gonna keep sticking around and ask FJR owners to answer your Beemer questions? Inquiring minds want to know.... ;)

Does anyone have the maximum current draw specifications for the Slime or the 'Stitch pumps. I know that any pump will blow the fuse for the socket in the glovebox. I have a fused battery tender/charger lead available and wonder how big a fuse I would need to be sure that it didn't blow. I think I have it fused @ 5 amps now but the wire could take more.

Does anyone have the maximum current draw specifications for the Slime or the 'Stitch pumps.
Not to my recollection. We're waiting with baited breath for an actual pump owner, Slime, Stich, or other to share the details if available. Forum discussion (from my memory) has said inflators are generally more than 2 amps and less than 15. I've heard 7 and 10 as possibles whispered in shadowed corners of innuendo, rumor, and conjecture. I personally am trying to spread that they're 9.42 amps just because I like the number '42'.

Try inflator fuse amps and other similar search terms yourself. ;)

Snerk!

KJ, you find a BMW forum to haunt yet or you gonna keep sticking around and ask FJR owners to answer your Beemer questions? Inquiring minds want to know....
wink.png
KJ, you did upgrade to the BMW Platinum Package Pump for only $42.50 extra didn't you? It includes a free portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm at Bremerhaven sized to fit into the clear top sleeve of your tank bag! Herr Petey has one (or two!). jes' sayin' and nuff said!

kaiserguy.jpg

I just got a Slime unit that is really small, about 4" by 4" by 1". It says it takes 14 minutes to inflate the average tire. I got it a Walmart for low dollars. Sorry, no picture.

https://dr650.zenseeker.net/Tires/Novpumpstest.pdf I remembered that Motorcycle Consumer News had tested all of the 12 volt mini compressors and Slime won!

I never throw away copies of MCN, sure enough I found the report back in November of 2006 issue. Since I'm retired and worthless, you're welcome!

https://dr650.zenseeker.net/Tires/Novpumpstest.pdf I remembered that Motorcycle Consumer News had tested all of the 12 volt mini compressors and Slime won!......
Since I'm retired and worthless, you're welcome!
Nice! Link going into at least one of the Bin O' Facts. I'm happy to see my "Chopper" ranked almost as high as the #1 Slime option. I added a Powerlet to mine so it's a unique one....and danced around on the pavement so much the hose is fraying.

BTW, I liked your post because of the link...not because you're retired and worthless. ;)

I've got the Slime compressor and while I have only had to use it so far while on the FZ1 (and not even inflating my own tire) I have my lighter plug on that bike fused at 10A and no problems. I would guess the draw is inbetween 5 and 10A. Unless your batter tender connection has 22GA wire (and I don't think anyone makes them that light) you should be fine using a 10A fuse.

Snerk!

KJ, you find a BMW forum to haunt yet or you gonna keep sticking around and ask FJR owners to answer your Beemer questions? Inquiring minds want to know....
wink.png
I've been an active member at K1600forum for a few years.

Naa, I'm sticking around here! (I know, dangit!)

hey, you just can't get the abuse there like I get here (yes, I like the ribbing, slang and friday postings). As long as those who schell (is that kinda Bovarian?) it out, can take it back... I'm at home :)

Plus I still have my beloved FJR. I'm one of the few who just doesn't wanna give up that AE superb invention :)

I'll stick with the pump vs CO2 bottles any day. I've had a flat 70+m from the nearest Gas Station, I'd hate to limp that far with an underinflated tire...

https://dr650.zenseeker.net/Tires/Novpumpstest.pdf I remembered that Motorcycle Consumer News had tested all of the 12 volt mini compressors and Slime won!
I never throw away copies of MCN, sure enough I found the report back in November of 2006 issue. Since I'm retired and worthless, you're welcome!
Since the test did not include the Aerostich pump the information you passed along is old and worthless just like someone I know.

Anyways since we helped KJ waste even more money on his land barge (nice bike if you wanted a Buick) our work here is done.

I'll stick with the pump vs CO2 bottles any day. I've had a flat 70+m from the nearest Gas Station, I'd hate to limp that far with an underinflated tire...
Pretty much my thought. Petey, ur coming to SEO I hear!?
smile.png

And @ Bill... LMAO!