Any suggestions on smallest 12v carry-on compressor...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJ, I don't know why you're all obsessed with space for a compressor........ if you'd just toss out that jug of Kook Aid that comes with that Beemershitbox, you'd have room for any compressor you want. Maybe one day you'll get your priorities straight, but I'm not holding out much hope......................
So I got more room for beer! Never can have too much "reserve".

Ahhh, time for an ice cold Post Patty Day Dwink, one of my fav's, the ole Smitt-icks....

smithwicks.jpg
Ah what a Grand and Glorious sight for sore eyes, Irish Mother's Milk by God! Personally drank one (actually a dozen) on St. Pats Day!

Beer in the proper color that all good and true beer should be, as black as yamafitter and RaYzerman19's icy cold Canadian hearts eh!
eh, B and C!

Love the Smitt
smile.png
...seems like you and me Don are the only ones here who recognize progressive quality. Denial and they don't even know it! ....I'm having more smiles than you can imagine btw from this blindness that becomes them! :)

Cheers with a Smit-icks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm into Saranac Pale Ale at the present
and several years ago I got this POS compressor which easily fits into the tool tray, is loud and buzzy and has inflated at least 30 tires for me no sweat, including large garden tractor tires.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-250-PSI-Air-Compressor-Harbor-Freight-SUPER-COUPON-TO-SAVE-7-00-/251480929397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8d6e7475
Holy.... You sure can't beat the price! and it sounds like it has worked quite well for you
smile.png

I've had the Saranac's before. I will have to remember the PA one and try or re-try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have the maximum current draw specifications for the Slime or the 'Stitch pumps.
Not to my recollection. We're waiting with baited breath for an actual pump owner, Slime, Stich, or other to share the details if available. Forum discussion (from my memory) has said inflators are generally more than 2 amps and less than 15. I've heard 7 and 10 as possibles whispered in shadowed corners of innuendo, rumor, and conjecture. I personally am trying to spread that they're 9.42 amps just because I like the number '42'.
Good guess, Iggy. I didn't hook up the calibrated Fluke 45 meter to check the resolution into the milli-amp range, so can't verify your 42. ;)

I connected my Slime pump to my Kikusui DC power supply and used it's analog ammeter to check current draw of the pump. On initial power-up, the needle bounced up to around 5 amps and then settled at 3.5 amps with no load on the pump (the outlet of the pump wide open with no hose connected). I didn't have a tire handy to check, but put my finger against the pump outlet and progressively restricted the airflow by pushing harder on the opening (attempting to plug it with my finger). The current draw increased with increased flow restriction up to a max of 9amps at which point there was discomfort on my finger with 300psi capability trying to force my finger off the outlet (air was still leaking past my finger).

We don't pump our tires up to 300psi, so I think that planning on supporting 10amps would be a wise choice for the Slime pump (it may very well exceed that if you're pumping up a semi truck tire). ;)

I connected my Slime pump to my Kikusui DC power supply and used it's analog ammeter to check current draw of the pump.
[snark]This providing empirical information when there was either pristine vacuum and ambitious speculation has to stop! Proving actually researched observations on this forum has run amok. I guess we're going to have to make a new rule against it. [/snark]

Kudos to you for what I think is the post of the month! Good information to know!
clapping.gif
clapping.gif
clapping.gif

5-3.5-9 range is what I'm going to try and remember. This also validates the popping of the woefully undersized glovebox fuses of stock Gen 2. And I would agree a 10 amp fuse would probably do the trick and need not be 15. That also means 12 gauge wire (maybe 14 since its a short run) should work too.

Thanks!!!!