Any Thoughts On Eom '06?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Food for thought... has anyone contemplated the location of the 2006 EOM? There are so many nice roads on the east coast.

This is just a thread to get people thinking about this. The people that buy an '06 are depending on us! Well, that is, the people who buy an '06 that don't already have the pleasure of saddling a Feejer between za' legs.

It'd be very hard to rival this year's destination... but from what I understand, there are sooo many areas on the East Coast that are as good, if not better. How about some discussion, folks.

I'm going to throw a couple of destinations up in the air. West Virginia, the easternmost corner of Tennessee (Shady Valley area) or Upstate New York.

Riding in West Virginia would also allow access to Virginia's mountains. There be some good ridin' there folks!

I know that it's a bit early... but why not think about it? Let the ideas flow.

Heidi

My vote, out of the options suggested would be upstate NY, because that is nearby for me. However, I am planning to go no matter where it is held.

The more important thing to set as soon as possible is when it will it be held. I need to make sure I mark my calendar as early as possible.

Deal's Gap was just outstanding this year. Since this was my first time in the area, I could see going back in '06. However, let me suggest Snowshoe Ski Resort, West Virginia as an alternate in case most of us would prefer something new. I understand the resort has some great twisties nearby, and already hosts several motorcycle rallies: both the HOGs and the Wingers had meets there this summer prior to the "Snowshoe Freedom Fest West Virginia Motorcycle Rally". Take a look at https://condosatsnowshoewv.com/summer_event...shoe_mounta.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Deal's Gap was just outstanding this year. Since this was my first time in the area, I could see going back in '06. However, let me suggest Snowshoe Ski Resort, West Virginia as an alternate in case most of us would prefer something new. I understand the resort has some great twisties nearby, and already hosts several motorcycle rallies: both the HOGs and the Wingers had meets there this summer prior to the "Snowshoe Freedom Fest West Virginia Motorcycle Rally". Take a look at https://condosatsnowshoewv.com/summer_event...shoe_mounta.htm
I agree about this year's meet Jim. It's been in Townsend 2 years in a row now, so I'm wondering if the meeting place will be switched up.

I've heard a lot about the Snowshoe area. I like that suggestion VERY much. I've ridden near there but never been really close to the resort area.

This is one to consider for sure.

How about upstate NY or VT. Many good roads through out New England, plus I live in VT and can lead some tours ( RT 17, App Gap, Kank Pass in NH, lobster run to Maine and the list goes on).

Tom

I like keeping the events in a more central location than new england. Not everyone can take off 3 days on each side of a long weekend to make an event, and I can't take any more points on my license.

I would like to see the event in NE tennessee, but of course I'm partial. As mentioned the Shadey Valley area has tons of twisties, not as much traffic as the dragon, and a great motorcycling community. It's also in my back yard, so logistics would be easy for me to help out on. There's TONS of roads within a single planned ride's reach, including the TN/NC mountinas much like the southern more areas, also the blue ridge parkway, and the boone/banner elk/asheville area. Perhaps Banner elk, NC would present a better host town, as the ski resorts would be less full during the summertime.

I could also be persueded towards the snowshoe route. I know nothing about the area, and need to learn somewhere new.

Tennessee or Arkansas, they both have some awesome roads, maybe Searcy AR or Memphis TN, there are some motorcycle museum/exhibits in both areas?

Skippy

I would like to see the event in NE tennessee, but of course I'm partial.  As mentioned the Shadey Valley area has tons of twisties, not as much traffic as the dragon, and a great motorcycling community.  It's also in my back yard, so logistics would be easy for me to help out on. 
slapnpop's comment here is, for me, the key to eom locations:

if you've stepped up to the plate to be the point/labor/logistics/whipping person, then you can make the final decision on location...

that said, great job smthng on 'point/labor/logistics/whipping person' for '05 eom... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

dana

Dragon Smagon....Shady Valley's the place to be :D

Shady Valley

check it out, centralized location lots curvey roads (we like curves)

Shady Valley country store central to three mountians and curves.

Lots great roads in area etc

Whoooo Whooo we going a riden' again :clap: :clap: :clap:

West Virginiaand Shady valley sound good to me. There a lots of twisties in both these areas. Just need someone to look at places that can accomadate 80+ bikes.

DRJFJR

The whole Eastern KY, TN, Southern Ohio area would allow most to take great roads to get to the meet in W VA.

Works for me.

AK is quit a stretch for the east coasters.

Maybe that would be for the CFO?

I'm adding my vote for Shady Valley, still close to the same area but lots of new ground to cover. :D

drjfjr is right, either one large motel or a group of motels close together that can accomodate lots of bikes :p

sounds like a good location to consider :p

Chris

My vote is NY. Besides the fact that I live here, there's lots of great roads up here. I could help plan a loop or two.....or three. I think that would be great.

Iris

I am with slapnpop,,

Shady Valley and the roads and mountians close by are great ,,

Banner Elk and the other ski areas are well able to handle the 80 plus needed spaces ,, I stay at the Marriott in Banner Elk ,, good parking and plenty of rooms

BTW,,

I have friends that are musicians and play at Snowshoe during the season ,,

they played a Harley Rally up there recently ,,

I can do some scouting if need be ,,

You mean like BEFORE the hurricaine season????? :eek: Where is the challenge of riding in deluges and the possibility of getting washed away in May? :D

Early to mid June might be better though...kids out of school, no more ice in shaded corners for those coming from Canada, VT, NH etc, pre "every evening" thunder storm time-----whatcha think??

Just a quick check on www.choicehotels.com for what was around the Shady Valley TN 37688 area. They showed 4 locations in Abingdon VA and Bristol VA, all within 20 miles of Shady Valley. The Quality Inn and Suites was the closest at 12 miles. This site had more than enough capacity, a small meeting room, large furnished lobby, and a breakfast room (which could likely be used in the evening for our group). Lots of parking too. Internet rates were between $70 and 80 per room plus tax without any discounts.

That was just a quick search of one site. not to get the cart ahead of the horse, but thought it would be food for thought.

How about doing more than 1 gathering in a year? maybe a spring gathering at a beachside location? Or maybe an assault on an amusement park (bush gardens williamsburg? six flags atlanta? Cedar point Sandusky?) for a weekend?

Just thinking outloud!

Angel