Anyone else find the Sargent seat uncomfortable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackB12

Reaction score
I do. I just bought an 05 FJR and it came with a Sargent seat. While the seat looks wide and comfy it certainly isn't for me. After about 15 minutes it gets to the point where I'm not enjoying the otherwise perfect motorcycle. I think the problem is the steep taper from the very wide rearward part of the rider's seat to the back of the tank. Seams like it pushes me into the tank and onto the narrow part which just promotes point contact issues instead of evenly distributing my weight. Now, I'm no lightweight (6'2" and 250lb) so maybe my ass is just too big for the Sargent seat. All I know is that my Corbin on my last bike was wonderfully comfortable. I see Corbin makes several variations for the FJR so I do have options there, but I'm not sure if it will help. Am I alone here with the Sargent seat? Anyone close to zip code 17601 wanna switch seats for a short ride?

By the way, I do have the stock seat and haven't ridden more than around the block with it yet. I have a 50 mile commute tomorrow and plan on riding with the stock seat as a comparison. I know the Russell seat is good, but a little out of my price range at this point.

Mike

I am a long ways from PA. but if I were close I would sure like to try it. my corbin seems too large for me. that is why I want to trade it for a corbin close. mine just has too much room

I found the sargent seat uncomfortable for us. I ordered one from Gary at university and tried it for a couple of weeks. We sent the seat back for a refund. That is one thing I liked about the sargent. They have a 30 day return policy. My wife and I both liked the stock seat better than the sargent, and that isn't a compliment. I am 6'1" and 195 lbs. so fit wasn't the problem. I felt the seat was way to hard, it reminded me of a corbin I had for my Kawasaki ZRX.

I think this winter I am going to send my pan to Rick Mayer and have him build me a seat. I hope I like it because a return to them will cost quite a bit.

I know the Russell seat is good, but a little out of my price range at this point.
How much did the Sargent cost you?

twowheelnut Posted on Nov 7 2005, 07:10 PM

See? This is why I advocate ride-in fittings for 'custom' seats. 
Ride-in fittings do NOT ensure positive results. :angry: Though I agree that in general, a custom seat is the way to go.

This seat issue is certainly a case study of " different strokes for different folks ". I'm 5'10", weigh 200 lbs. and have a 30" inseam. I've never had a seat as comfortable as the Sargent has been for me.

I see from your zip you're in Lancaster, PA. My company has some radio stations in Lancaster, so take your Sargent to WLPA, ask for Edd (yeah, two d's) and have him ship it to "Steve in Lakeland". He'll know what to do.

I'd love to try it out. I put a Sargent on my ZRX and it's damn near sensual it's so comfortable. I'd love to see if a $300 Sargent would make me happy, rather than the $600 it's gonna take with a Russel or Rick Mayer.

Just take the seat to Edd. I'll try it for a couple of weeks, and if I decide to keep it, I'll PM you for purchase details.

I know you'll trust me. :)

congrats on the new bike! guess you made up my mind and i'll be hanging on to the '04 for a while. before you send it out, i'd like to try it out. when we met, i should have asked where you're commuting to. i'll be in wilmington tomorrow and will be passing through lancaster around noon or so. call me on my cell if there's a chance we could hook up.

I'd love to see if a $300 Sargent would make me happy, rather than the $600 it's gonna take with a Russel or Rick Mayer.
Is $300 what you can get a Sargent seat for? That is why I asked above. Cause your info on the Rick Mayer is erroneous. He currently has a special going on where you can get one of his seats in vinyl for $249. Or $199 if you just do the rider portion of the seat. So that is even cheaper than the Sargent, even with shipping! For a true custom saddle!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the Russell seat is good, but a little out of my price range at this point.
How much did the Sargent cost you?
The bike came with the Sargent already installed.

Today I rode the bike with the stock seat to work and it was more comfortable. It's hard to say how much more comfy the stock one is because I literally still am sore from riding just 25 miles at a time with the Sargent.

The stock seat either is lower or compresses more because my knees were bent slightly more than the with the Sargent seat. The stock seat also forces my jewels into the tank so it's not the permanent solution to my problem.

Mike

We are all different and things that work for some people don't work for others, but the Sargent has worked much better than the stock seat for me.

This weekend I took the new Sargent out for 800 miles and it was alot more comfortable for me than the stock seat.

For the SO I really needed something with a back rest which limited my options to the Yammy/Corbin option or Sargent more or less.

Pricey it is and perfect it isn't, but it was better for me.

:cownoy:

After abt an hour in the stock seat, I began to squirm around, stand up on the pegs, etc to try to restore some comfort to my rear end. All I could think abt was the seat and how uncomfortable it was.

I replaced the stocker w/ a Sargent. And, for me, WOW! What a difference. I can now forget abt the seat and enjoy the ride.

Different strokes...yada, yada, yada.

Last edited by a moderator:
It did not work for my wife and I as well. I use the stocker for commuting, and the russell for anything over 100 miles. We dont even think about seats anymore.

Ray

It did not work for my wife and I as well. I use the stocker for commuting, and the russell for anything over 100 miles. We dont even think about seats anymore.
                                        Ray
Why don't you just leave the Russell on?

I'd love to see if a $300 Sargent would make me happy, rather than the $600 it's gonna take with a Russel or Rick Mayer.
Is $300 what you can get a Sargent seat for? That is why I asked above. Cause your info on the Rick Mayer is erroneous. He currently has a special going on where you can get one of his seats in vinyl for $249. Or $199 if you just do the rider portion of the seat. So that is even cheaper than the Sargent, even with shipping! For a true custom saddle!
Scooter...

I take it all back. I didn't price the Sargent off their web site, but off my memory for the ZRX seat I bought last year.

Just checked the site and it's $589 for the "base" package -- front and rear. :eek:

Shoulda checked first. Sorry.

Doesn't seem like such a bargain compared to the Russell any more.

Radio,

For stop and go riding the "wings" on the russell are somewhat bothersome,

( when having to put your feet down) for long distance riding this of course

is not a problem , hence the switch.

Ray

Radio,
For stop and go riding the "wings" on the russell are somewhat bothersome,

( when having to put your feet down) for long distance riding this of course

is not a problem , hence the switch.

Ray
Plus, swapping out seats is a breeze.