Anyone into sports cars?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaholic

Reaction score
Just inquiring if anyone here is into sports cars. My FJR is my primary "fun" vehicle, but recently got into sports cars. In reality, I've wanted one for a long time, but a las work and other commitments prohibited the purchase until recently.

Currently have a 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo with only 48K miles on it.

It's not as "nice" as a modern car like a C6, S2000, Boxster, etc. But for the price, it's a bargain.

What are ya'll tearing up the streets with?

Just inquiring if anyone here is into sports cars. My FJR is my primary "fun" vehicle, but recently got into sports cars. In reality, I've wanted one for a long time, but a las work and other commitments prohibited the purchase until recently.
Currently have a 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo with only 48K miles on it.

It's not as "nice" as a modern car like a C6, S2000, Boxster, etc. But for the price, it's a bargain.

What are ya'll tearing up the streets with?
2002 MR2 Spyder in the garage, but, it's the wife's (when she isn't driving her ever-stylish and sporty 2003 Dodge Intrepid company car). I just putt putt around in an '04 Acura TL.

I have an Acura NSX that I really like alot. Its an older model but looks like it came off the showroom floor. Its the best handling car I've ever driven. Its plenty fast though not as fast as current vettes by any means. Its a 93 model I bought in 95. I've been real tempted to sell it and get a new Vette, but when I get it all detailed to sell I back out of it. Its still as tight as the day I bought it.

I took it to Arkansas last fall to meet up with my old FJR hoon buddies and had a blast on Hwy 7. The wif came along as well. Its the first time in 28 years we ever did anything like that.

Anyway it has been a fun car.

Glenn

1990 Mazda miata..supercharged,intercooled,slammed race brakes,short shifter,wheels etc... B) built it for the wife, because she said it wasn't fast enough....but she prefers my lincoln LS sport V8 manumatic because she can carry her golf clubs & her girlfriends :huh: ..translation...I use the car when I teach at track days :lol: ..."mans gotta do what a mans gotta do" :D

sportin a 99 Honda Civic Si with short shifter, stainless brake lines, HP+ pads, slotted rotors, minus a muffler, rolling on 14" steelies and Michilen Snow tires....sold all my go fast parts for the Yami...Fjr is my summer ride :D

2002 SLK320 6-Speed. Got nearly 40,000 on it--all me. Amazingly practical for a sports car. Clamshell roof--so no worries of foul weather or knives. BIG trunk (when the top is up). Great handling, but unlike a Boxster, super-comfy for long trips. Legroom is tight when shifting and the retro interior (especially the heater) sucks. But the hardwood is great and the ride doesn't beat you up.

For the update--the 350, M-B got rid of the retro interior--PTL!

2002 SLK320 6-Speed. Got nearly 40,000 on it--all me. Amazingly practical for a sports car. Clamshell roof--so no worries of foul weather or knives. BIG trunk (when the top is up). Great handling, but unlike a Boxster, super-comfy for long trips. Legroom is tight when shifting and the retro interior (especially the heater) sucks. But the hardwood is great and the ride doesn't beat you up.
Ja! Das eis undt girlie kah! :p :D

Just bought a '94 Ford Explorer with very bad brakes. Gets my heart going about as good as any sports car when those brakes start acting up. :p :p

Actually, I was looking at sports cars before I bough the FJR. Test drove the new Nissan Z car. Decided that a new bike would be more fun.

Guess I'll go out and bleed those brakes on the Ford one more time......

Actually, I was looking at sports cars before I bough the FJR. Test drove the new Nissan Z car. Decided that a new bike would be more fun.
+1... I decided on the FJR when I started seeing what a sports car would cost that had anywhere near the performance.

After going through a few British cars (MGB, Spitfire, TR6), I finally figured out why the British drink warm beer (because they have Lucas refrigerators.... :D ). Then on to a host of Fiats (850 Spider, 124 Spyder, and X 1/9), I figured out what FIAT stood for ("Fix It Again Tony"). I finally found the good stuff; a Datsun 280Z, then a Miata, and most recently the Honda S2000. The Japanese cars go on and on and on, with little to no problems!

So I use the S2000 during the week for getting to work and around, and the FJR for sportin around on the weekends. Both redline at 9K and I'm happy driving both of them! :p Jay

Glenn, I remember that car. Nice NSX. My son and I were riding the Talamena that day.

My daily driver is an '03 Mustang Cobra. It's a gas hog, but a lot of fun. Puts 375 HP to the ground, same torque. Six-speed manual. It's an IRS car, so it's the best handling Mustang ever built. That ain't saying a lot; it's no Corvette. But I enjoy it. A little nose heavy, maybe 55-45 weight distribution. But it's got the good suspension components and brakes, so it's no slouch. And run? Oh, yeah, it runs like a scaled cat. :D

I've not modded it a lot, just a K&N, removed the intake snorkle, added a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, and welded in a pair of two-chamber Flowmasters into the stock 2.5 inch piping. Rumbly, not too loud, (say I) just right.

I love this car!

Red, yes I met you at the gas station in Mena, and followed you up the Talimena drive to about the lodge and you and your son decided to push it harder than I could.

Nice day for riding wsn't it?

Glenn

Oh yeah. I've got the sporty car bug. Went through an Integra GSR, S2000, and C5 Z06. Auto-x'd them all (SCCA Solo2). I'm older now so I'm driving a new 330i...with Sports package. :)

My current object-of-lust is the Ariel Atom. Brammo Motorsports is the US disty (Ecotec engines, yech!) but I've read of others importing directly as a kit-car (usually adding Honda K20x motors, yay!). I'm toying with the idea of buying one in a few years. I've seen two on the road and they are even better in person than the pictures. "I... am... an... alien!"

Not a Sports Car but fun none the less. 2005 Chrysler 300C w/ 5.7 HEMI.

340HP. Modded a bit with performance exhaust, 20" rims, Chrome Accents, got a Hotchkis suspension kit that needs to be installed.

Of course it's gone as soon as Chrysler makes the Challenger. That car is the cat's meow to me!

-=SF=-

I have to weigh in with Speedfreak, not a sports car but it's 2 tons of fun -- Chevy Impala SS with lots of engine tweaks and suspension upgrades. The ol' SS often sees the drags and autocrossing and acquits itself quite well. The SS has been through the Massachusetts State Police EVOC training program, Connecticut EVOC and state police high speed pursuit training. In the beginning the cops were telling me not to think too much of my car, it is just an old mans car with fancy wheels. When the dust settled they were impressed. My Impala's speed and lap times always torched the Troopers cars by a very large margin B)

Taken from the back seat by one of the three cops in my car at the time:

speed.jpg

Alan

Got an "86" Mustang GT Vert. Been through it from front to back. Bought a 355hp Summit Racing crate motor teamed up to a T5 with 3:73s. Not the fastest thing on the road, but it's mine, I built it, and it looks and runs beautiful.

Bananas!

I have an Acura NSX that I really like alot. Oh, Yeah! I've always loved that car. The new Dodge Challenger (in a couple of years), really gets me going, too. Haven't had a MOPAR since the '67 GTX 440 I had in '74. I had a great plan to buy a used 240 or 260 Z and put a small block in it, (Google "Jags That Run"for a sanitary installation kit) but I got the FJR instead.

My brother always had British sports cars when I was growing up: I learned to drive in a Spitfire.

John

99 Mustang Cobra, 46k miles, 300rwhp w/4.10's! Yowza! Summer toy only. May sell it to put a down payment on an 07 Shelby GT 500!

2002 SLK320 6-Speed.  Got nearly 40,000 on it--all me.  Amazingly practical for a sports car.  Clamshell roof--so no worries of foul weather or knives.  BIG trunk (when the top is up).  Great handling, but unlike a Boxster, super-comfy for long trips.   Legroom is tight when shifting and the retro interior (especially the heater) sucks.  But the hardwood is great and the ride doesn't beat you up.
Ja! Das eis undt girlie kah! :p :D
Yah! Undt mein girlie likes to ride een it mit me! If ich bin eine single mensch undt nicht a married mensch, allen das madchens vood vant to ride een it mit mir!

Das ist MEIN kindt of girlie vagon! :D

Last edited by a moderator: