Anyone using the GenII/GenIII seat from Seat concepts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DustOff posted: Any updates with those who converted their seat? Thinking about pulling the trigger.
Why yes! There are two located ON THIS VERY PAGE, and an entire thread elsewhere on the Forum. I've posted a couple of comments about mine, too.

Read first; ask questions later. I see you're from Texas, but seriously, bro, use some initiative.
Should of better qualified my question asking if there are any further updates after 21 Dec; the last post before I asked the question. Additionally, I see a Seat Concepts group buy was just completed so hope some more folks will chime in with their impressions.

Should of better qualified my question asking if there are any further updates after 21 Dec; the last post before I asked the question. Additionally, I see a Seat Concepts group buy was just completed so hope some more folks will chime in with their impressions.
You should have took part in that group buy, if for some reason you didn't like the results, would be an easy sell.

You should have took part in that group buy, if for some reason you didn't like the results, would be an easy sell.
Yes; if I came around to visiting the forum sooner.

I realize that it is winter for most of us, so not a lot of time for testing and comparison since many have put the Seat Concepts on their bikes.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to compare it to a Sargent. I think that the Sargent improves the slope, flattening out the angle toward the tank, and it is dished + wider for better support than stock, but I hear people say that the foam is still too firm.

Any thoughts?

DoggyDaddy, the Seat Concepts seat is more flat than the stock seat, less angle to the tank.

I can't compare Seat Concepts to the Sargent seat. But the Seat concepts seat is dished & wider than the stock seat. I haven't had a chance to try it on a ride - winter has gotten in the way of riding - I have sat on it and it feels really comfortable. You are sure to get more replies from those who were part of the GB.

I realize that it is winter for most of us, so not a lot of time for testing and comparison since many have put the Seat Concepts on their bikes.
I'm wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to compare it to a Sargent. I think that the Sargent improves the slope, flattening out the angle toward the tank, and it is dished + wider for better support than stock, but I hear people say that the foam is still too firm.

Any thoughts?

Well here is my report. Received the seat and the install was a bit of a pain in the ass, but only because the new electric staple gun I purchased sucked! I do not recommend the Arrow Powershot, in fact I returned it and will just buy a pneumatic. However, I did manage to get it installed and it looks great... I have now taken a couple of short hundred milers and the longest I have spent about is 1.5 hours at a stretch in the saddle and about 6 hours overall. Absolutely felt great. I mean it's been a few months since I have ridden, and I have to say that I do remember always feeling a little sore the first few rides doing the exact same trips. I mean nothing bad and to be honest, I did not hate the factory seat... So my initial impression is I am pretty pleased so far. I mean my only complaint with the factory seat was that after a couple hours, I was ready to get off. Not terribly sore or anything, just gets uncomfortable and I was ready for a break... Although, at the end of a 10 hour day, my tolerance on the factory seat was about 20 minutes. So my real test won't happen for a while yet, but those days are coming!

I was able to get out for about an hour on my new Seat Concepts upgrade from the group buy. It seemed to sit me lower so I raise the seat setting to the higher notch, I'm 6'-2". Seat Concept set's flatter like the Sargent seat did on my old 06 model. More comfortable than stock right off the bat so I assume it will be better on an all day ride as well. Looking forward to an all day ride to confirm.

Seat Concepts is a nice lower cost upgrade option for sure. No regrets here!

Does anyone have any long ride/additional reports since the weather has started to clear up for most of us?

Last edited by a moderator:
Patience Grasshopper
aikido.gif
I will be doing around 4 or 5,000 miles starting this Friday. Will post my opinion here after the first couple of days. My initial thought is that the Seat Concepts seat is a noticeable upgrade from stock.

Put one together a little bit ago and got a first ride in. 1400 miles over 3 days from Idaho Falls to Bonners Ferry and back. Much better than stock.

Last day was 600 miles in rain and cold. First day I was sorta questioning as there were some slight issues. Second day I kinda forgot about the issues and the thirid longer day it (or my butt) was broken in and all was well. No lingering day after issues at all though which is a good sign. Wider and lower than stock, firmer as it should be. Not like my RDL on the S10 but I am quite pleased and the price is good.

Will be riding from Idaho to Miami this fall and am quite confident the seat will do well.

I've put about 2,000 miles on my Gen III Seat Concepts seat. I had no real bad complaints with stock seat and I have no comfort issues with this one but it is quite a bit firmer than I would expect from a custom seat. Also it sits a fraction lower and it tends to move me into the gas tank (slopes that way). I really do not like that. I also have decided I don't like carbon fiber seat top - too slippery - should've gotten the gripper top and carbon sides. Oh well.

For those who were looking for a answer on the rear seats being available, we are working on both now.

BobCo: Patience Grasshopper
aikido.gif
I will be doing around 4 or 5,000 miles starting this Friday. Will post my opinion here after the first couple of days. My initial thought is that the Seat Concepts seat is a noticeable upgrade from stock.

Bappo: Put one together a little bit ago and got a first ride in. 1400 miles over 3 days from Idaho Falls to Bonners Ferry and back. Much better than stock.
Last day was 600 miles in rain and cold. First day I was sorta questioning as there were some slight issues. Second day I kinda forgot about the issues and the thirid longer day it (or my butt) was broken in and all was well. No lingering day after issues at all though which is a good sign. Wider and lower than stock, firmer as it should be. Not like my RDL on the S10 but I am quite pleased and the price is good.

Will be riding from Idaho to Miami this fall and am quite confident the seat will do well.
What are relative weights are you two, and what density foam did you get?

Quick update.

I have since put on over 7,000 miles and have spent several 10+ hour riding days and just returned from a touring ride up and down the Oregon coast. I have to say my butt is great. On the final day I actually took several side routes and spent close to 11 hours covering the final 420 miles and loved every minute of it. By comparison, when I had the factory seat running a very similar trip last year, by the last day my ass could barely go 20 minutes before I was suffering...

Now, I am not an iron butt guy and I prefer to take short breaks every hour or so, as opposed to constant riding or longer breaks every few hours, but I have some 2+hour runs under my belt with the Seat Concepts cover and it has been just awesome.

I highly recommend this seat for a nice cost effective alternative to a Richs or RDL.

Thanks for your review, WHS. But could you please add your relative weight and what foam density you chose?

I'm seriously considering one of these, but am not sure which density of foam I would need. Especially with some people finding the softer option a little too soft still.

To answer my own question; I'm around 185 in full gear.

More please? Specially anyone running it on a first gen. I am 175, 6'3" The new to me 04 has a torn cover on a stock pan so this seems like a winner. Not an iron butter but thinking about a 3 or 4K road trip this coming summer.

My Gen 3 version is the GREATEST THING EVER. I am 6'0" and 180 pounds. MV Motorrad riser plate and Seat Concepts cover made the BMRx easy-peasy: 2,200 miles over a long weekend.

Check their website to see if Gen 1 versions are still available.

More please? Specially anyone running it on a first gen. I am 175, 6'3" The new to me 04 has a torn cover on a stock pan so this seems like a winner. Not an iron butter but thinking about a 3 or 4K road trip this coming summer.
Gary,

I have a gen 1 SC front seat that's too soft for my 230 lb butt for sale. Grippy top cover. I'll put it up in classified section soon, pm me for specifics or if you want pics.

Bob