Anyone using the SPOT Connect Satellite Communicator?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Squirrel

Reaction score
I did a google search on "SPOT Connect site:fjrforum.com" and did not get any hits.

It looks interesting. From the REI web site:

SPOT Connect Satellite Communicator enables your smartphone to communicate off the grid and out of cell tower range. Keep in touch with friends, family and emergency teams wherever you roam!

Pair SPOT Connect with your smartphone and connect to a global satellite network that lets you send messages and GPS coordinates from virtually anywhere on the planet

SOS function lets you send your exact GPS coordinates and a request for emergency assistance to the GEOS International Emergency Response Center

SOS signal transmits every 5 minutes until the batteries die; GEOS International Emergency Response Center alerts the appropriate agency in your area to bring you aid

For non-emergency help, SPOT Connect lets you send preselected friends and family requests for assistance via SMS text and email; signal goes out every 5 min. for 1 hr.

Check-in/OK feature sends a predefined message to friends and family, letting them know that you're OK and showing your current location

Record your progress and share it with others using the Track Progress function; contacts can watch your progress almost real time on Google Maps as your adventure unfolds

Basic service ($99.99 annual subscription required) lets you send unlimited predefined Check-in/OK, Help and SOS messages as well as updates to Facebook and Twitter

Optional Type & Send messaging allows custom text via satellite (additional charges apply for Type & Send and Track Progress service plans)

Subscribe to basic service and optional services at findmespot.com

Unit operates in temperatures ranging from -13°F/-25°C to 140°F/60°C

SPOT Connect Satellite Communicator is rated waterproof to IPX7 standards: it can be submerged underwater to a depth of 1m for up to 30 min.

REI linky

If it does everything it claims to do, it is worth paying $149.00 to me. I would like to hear from others before shelling out the $$$ though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I misunderstood how the new unit functions....

nevermind

SPOT Connect DOES NOT work off of cell coverage, it uses GPS signal just like SPOT 1 & 2. The smart phone is simply an interface which allows the ability to send custom messages via satellite.

To the OP, I have yet to use one, but the new Connect seems like an even better alternative to the original SPOT. I did'nt even know they were being sold yet.

From the website...

SPOT Connect Satellite Communicator enables your smartphone to communicate off the grid and out of cell tower range. Keep in touch with friends, family and emergency teams wherever you roam!

Here's a deal on First Gen. Spot for $35.00 after rebate:

https://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=SPOSPOTSM&id=SPOSPOTSM&l=FROOGLE

I like the dedicated unit so I can just put my cell phone away and turn it off while riding, so the battery's always good. With the Spot I check in whenever I want by hitting the button and wife gets the text with my location.

My big question with the phone service, would be this: wouldn't the phone need to be where it can "see" the sky?

I'll be of absolutely no help to the OP, but I was looking at these myself, and my biggest question is "Is the smartphone *required* to do things like track and SOS?" In other words, if my smartphone gets lost or the battery dies or gets tossed off a cliff, etc, am I SOL?

Here is the way I understand it.. Your Smart Phone with SPOT app connects to the SPOT device. The SPOT device (like all previous) is your off the grid connection to the world. You can now use the app on your Smart phone to configure the SPOT device and msg's. You can also send Facebook/Twtter updates via SPOT Communicator. It is never relying on your Smart Phone's provider, only the Blutooth connection between your Smartphone and SPOT Device.

*Edit: Found this after the post. Here is an in depth review. Bootomline the reviewing OP states the IPhone App is "buggy", and hopes things are resolved before recommending to a friend.

I wonder how the BT connection effects battery life?

I saws the REI reviews also. From what I understand SPOT has updated their app. Also, I use an Android phone, not an iPhone. I like the fact that I can send short text messages (not just one canned message like with my SPOT I).

My big question with the phone service, would be this: wouldn't the phone need to be where it can "see" the sky?
No. The cell phone is being used to connect the app to the unit via bluetooth.

I'll be of absolutely no help to the OP, but I was looking at these myself, and my biggest question is "Is the smartphone *required* to do things like track and SOS?" In other words, if my smartphone gets lost or the battery dies or gets tossed off a cliff, etc, am I SOL?
I found the users guide. SPOT Connect users guide I see that the SOS can be activated via either the app or the unit. All other functions need the app. It would be nice to be able to send the other canned messages from the app.

I misunderstood the functioning of the SPOT Connect so I withdraw my original comment; however, I would be concerned about phone battery life. One of the complaints I here about certain iPhone apps that require bluetooth such as iBike is that it eats the battery. Having said that I have no evidence to say that this particular app will suffer that issue but I would definitely ask the developer that question.

Spot only needs to have your cellphone Bluetooth connection only when you send a custom message. You can keep your cellphone BT disabled at any other time. Anyway, here's acomparison on this blog.

Edit: that was an older blog. As the OP stated, this is the Spot Communicator and that's the BT version for smartphones. Delorme sells a functionally equivalent SPOT version to this that works with their PN-60W hiking GPS.

Unlike most cellphones, the PN-60 is waterproof and can use 2 AA batteries.