Are the PR4's living up to their billing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PR4 GT's. Higher load rating and, hard center compound, medium on the sides. Where the regular PR4 has medium on the center and soft on the sides.

PR4 GT's. Higher load rating and, hard center compound, medium on the sides. Where the regular PR4 has medium on the center and soft on the sides.
I didn't mean same as the PR3, only relative as the PR3/PR3B to the PR4/PR4GT. Looking on the Michelin site, they show the same load rating number from the 4 and 4GT. They do however recommend the 4GT. Time will tell, but the 4 has been worth it to me.

I just mounted a new PR4 rear, and love it.

According to the Michelin brochure, the PR4 and PR4 GT have the same dual compound, w/ 20% hard in the middle, and 40% medium on both sides.

The PR4 Trail has 60% medium in the middle, w/ 20% soft on both sides.

I also read (somewhere else) that the tread depth is deeper on the PR4 vs the PR3. THAT may be the way they expect a 20% longer life. YMMV

I just picked up a pair of PR4 GTs and they get installed on the week-end. I'm hoping to get good mileage as I'm about to embark on a long trip.

I haven't been able to find any supporting information for this claim. Where did you hear this? Initially I would be very skeptical of this. Typically the GT on previous PR models has heavier belt structure. In the case of the PR4 GT they use an additional diagonal belt. Michelin describes both the PR4 and PR4GT as lasting 20% longer than the PR3.

To be honest I would be very suprised if Michelin used completely different tread compounds between the PR4 and it's GT model.

In the past and currently, they use softer materials in the front tire than they do in the rear. Specifically, the edge rubber of the rear tire is the center compound on the front, and the side of the front of the softest, with the middle of the rear tire being 'medium.'

I rode out to the Western Roundup in Sparks NV from Chicago. I mounted brand new PR4 GT's, shipped a new rear to my brother in CA, and as I sit here at brother's place just north of LA here's what they look like.

3191 Miles. 2K across I80, I70, and 50 to sparks. Petey and I ran triple digits on 50 for a long time and it was HOT. Another 300 down I5 to my brothers from Bugnatr's house.

New one on the left:

1.JPG

Next images are all of the used rear:

2.JPG

3.JPG

Penny in the center:

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

New Tire:

7.JPG

9.JPG

Side by Side again:

10.JPG

Front tire looks fine. I can just feel the two different compounds

11.JPG

Overall I'm impressed with the wear so far. I'm relatively confident the rear would take me home, but since I have a new one I put it on. I'll see how it looks when I get back to Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on those pictures I'd say that you would expect less than 10k miles out of the rear PR4. How does that compare to the mileage you got out of a PR2 rear?

This looks to be about a 6K tire for me. I'm not sure about the PR2's mileage, but these handle better in my opinion. It's been a while since I've put those on.

Thanks Marty for all the detailed pics and info. I'm surprised you are not going to wear out that rear on your ride home... as Wheatie said u are famous for ;)

I have 10.5K on my PR2s and they still look like they have life left in them, but I picked up a nasty in the rear and am trying for a BBG tonight. So, new PR4s going on at lunch. We'll see over time how they hold up.

Put a set of PR4GT's on in Bend Oregon on July 1st at 4,665 miles.

Home today showing 10,770 on the odometer.

6,105 miles on the tires, rear has 2/32 tread in center right at the wear bar.

Front has 3/32 showing.

Rear has nice even wear across middle, still a fair amount of tread on the shoulders, which I find hard to believe cause I was following Festar the whole time :)

Front has some cupping issues, probably because of low air pressure by installer.

I got way more than the $441 installed worth of fun out of these tires.

I have a set of BT 23s in the garage, not sure if I'm going to put them on and burn them up or refit PR4GTs.

Want to see how Festar fared with the Pirelli's he put on at the same time as my PR4GTs when he gets here next weekend.

Bought a set of PR4GTs today in San Fran. I HAD to replace the rear. The front was still okay-ish. But since I am heading to Oregon and it might rain there, I are the extra. It was 439 out the door at Santa Clara cycles.

I had 10k miles on the PR3s it could have been more. The bike had 36.5k on it when I bought it and it just rolled over 46.4k.

I hope they work out great cause it's not like I can return to the shop if there is a problem.