Are there any female FJR owners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I've got the '03 in W. Canada and I love everything about it. I've had bikes off and on since the 70's but my previous ride for eight years was an '84 Venture Royale and I thought that was quick and nimble. The only drawback was keeping it in good mechanical condition which is why I started to shop around for a new sport-tourer. I rode a few others but nothing turned my crank like the little black and white pic of the FJR in MCN and I waited patiently for it to arrive. Riding impressions/comparisons were more acute in the beginning - at this point the FJR and I are like one and I don't even think about it anymore. I can't imagine ever owning anything else.
I had a custom saddle done at Rich's in Seattle after the first year of discomfort; I added D&H setback bar risers, heated grips and larger Givi shield. Lt. side heat can be an issue in the summer so I've insulated under the gas tank, stopped wearing leather pants and went to vented textile.

I read a lot here, learned a lot here and at the old site, but rarely post. I know there must be many more women FJR riders out there but not everyone is internet connected or interested. I might be the only great grandma riding one, tho'.

See you in Reno, eh?

Kasey
What happened when you "insulated" your tank and what did you use?

@zzkenoman, you might try the search function on this board. If not, try Bounce's site, click on "mods" and read "tank insulation". He has a lot of information on his site, so it wouldn't hurt to list it under your "favorites".

You might also try HMarc's site where there is also a lot of information.

Many owners are using the foil insulation for water heaters you can buy at your local "home center in a box" store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.), just make sure you get the foil tape, also.

Last edited by a moderator:
@zzkenoman, you might try the search function on this board. If not, try Bounce's site, click on "mods" and read "tank insulation". He has a lot of information on his site, so it wouldn't hurt to list it under your "favorites".

You might also try HMarc's site where there is also a lot of information.

Many owners are using the foil insulation for water heaters you can buy at your local "home center in a box" store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.), just make sure you get the foil tape, also.
Interesting links, thanks. In fact I've come across those sites before but never bookmarked them thinking I would have a FJR.

Actually under my tank has foil insulation from the factory so heat is really not a problem except when sitting or riding in traffic. I would like to put an additional electric fan to re-direct the heat from the engine some day, but in southern california the weather avg from cool to comfortable all the time.

I've done the tankbag mods, which all my electrical gadgets are attached. I have my xm radio, laptop, cell, chatterbox, radar, led reading lights and scanner all enclosed. If I need to stop somewhere, I just put the whole tank bag in my saddlebag.

Thanks for the links!

My wife is a good rider. Strangely she prefers to ride pillion these days. Claims it's better to relax rather than focus on road conditions, cars, deer, etc. According to her the key for a motorcycle to be a good fit for a woman is to have a narrow seat near the tank. Her favorite was the HD Sportster, least favorite a Kawi ZR7S.

I was watching Motorcycle Experience on TSN and they were covering the K1200R. The reviewer really loved the BM. She thought it was extremely comfortable mainly because the seat was so narrow at the tank.

Just a thought for those ladies that may be considering getting their seat reshaped. Err ... the seat on the bike of course.
default_black%20eye.gif

Think about taking some weekend trips. You'll definitely see what I mean about bonding w/ the bike.
I've got some trips planned - two biker events in Las Vegas, and a two week trip across Utah and Colorado.

DH is in transition between bikes at the moment, and I'm working a ton of overtime to ease that transition. He's planning to get a Hayabusa for touring, instead of his Warrior. That's a great bike, but not the best for long distances.

Once we're all settled, who knows where we will go? The best trips are the ones spread over a few days.

Jill

Now my daughter riders.  She is height challenged.  She's 5'2" and can't touch the ground on many bikes.  She doesn't care for cruisers so we finally found a Kawaski Ninja 500  :assasin:  that she could fit on.
Your daughter faces the same height challenge that I do. Thick soled boots are my friend!

I tried the Ninja 500 during Femmoto's demo event and had a lot of fun with it. That was part of the reason I wanted to move away from a cruiser.

How do you like the Hayabusa? That's DH's next bike. He says he'll let me ride it now and again, if I can handle it OK.

Jill
Hi Jill,

My daughter has a pair of boots with tall heels and soles...it does help. I finally found a pair of boots that gave me some lift and what a difference it made. I am used to tip-toe'g around but it is so much nicer being able to touch the ground with more than a toe.

As for the Busa...it is a dream to ride. Very responsive and fast! I am still shocked at the speed of this bike. I don't ride it much cause I really prefer the FJR. Plus, my husband rides it when we go out together most of the time. But, it's a thrill to get on and hit the twisty roads!

Ride safe and keep the shinny side up.

Jo

Does anyone have a recommendation for boots with thicker soles (good grip a must) that are also waterproof? I'm not as height challanged, but the better I can anchor myself on the ground, the better I like it.

I have an 05 FJR that I'd considered trading up to the 06 as I liked all the new mods (and my dealer owed me a good deal because of a past error). Then I sat on it at the show, and the wider saddle was uncomfortable as well as making me tip toe when I can be flat footed (barely) on the 05 with my Corbin close. If I can get another inch or so over my current boots I'd be pleased.

Karen

They had 2 FJRs at the International Motorcycle Show in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago. The A was set at the highest level, and the E was at the lowest. With the high level, I could not tip toe both feet on the ground. The low level allowed one flat foot and one tip toe, but it felt uncomfortably wide for me.

I decided I'd be better off keeping the non-ABS and doing the heat fix on my 05. I guess the kicker was to find out I would need to change my GIVI mount as well as buy the new color lid. I'd also want to custom made saddle, but it would still be wider than what I have. It was a monentary disappointment, but I got over it quickly when I decided the additional money to trade up would buy half of a new Ninja 650R for a second bike (and selling my Vulcan would pay for the other half). So, worked out OK afterall.

Does anyone have a recommendation for boots with thicker soles (good grip a must) that are also waterproof? I'm not as height challanged, but the better I can anchor myself on the ground, the better I like it.
I have an 05 FJR that I'd considered trading up to the 06 as I liked all the new mods (and my dealer owed me a good deal because of a past error). Then I sat on it at the show, and the wider saddle was uncomfortable as well as making me tip toe when I can be flat footed (barely) on the 05 with my Corbin close. If I can get another inch or so over my current boots I'd be pleased.

Karen
What are you using now? Icon has more sole on there boots. I tried using a steel toe work boot but shifting was difficult because I didn't have enough room between the peg and the shift. So remember to adjust the height of your shifter if you have that same problem.

Karen
Hi Karen. I'm able to get a tip toe on either one side or the other but not both. That doesn't inspire much confidence so I had my boots altered. I took a pair of Frank Thomas Maria riding boots (waterproof as well as comfortable) and had a two inch thick sole added.

They look like punk rocker boots but they've made all the difference in the world to me. I can get a flat foot on one side and a good toe on the other. The shifter had to be altered and the rubber on the foot peg shaved down.

Jill

Does anyone have a recommendation for boots with thicker soles (good grip a must) that are also waterproof?  I'm not as height challanged, but the better I can anchor myself on the ground, the better I like it. 
I have an 05 FJR that I'd considered trading up to the 06 as I liked all the new mods (and my dealer owed me a good deal because of a past error).  Then I sat on it at the show, and the wider saddle was uncomfortable as well as making me tip toe when I can be flat footed (barely) on the 05 with my Corbin close.  If I can get another inch or so over my current boots I'd be pleased.

Karen
I use the M-star version, which is exactly the same boot as the lady star except for the name.

Premium quality boots from Germany with Gore-tex for water/weather protection. Extremely comfortable all day and night. If you usually require a special size, they can also custom cut a set just for you for only $50.00 extra. Wifey uses them too. Highly recommend!

www.helimot.com/catalog/boots/boots_ladystar

ladystar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the M-star version, which is exactly the same boot as the lady star except for the name.
Premium quality boots from Germany with Gore-tex for water/weather protection.  Extremely comfortable all day and night.  If you usually require a special size, they can also custom cut a set just for you for only $50.00 extra.  Wifey uses them too.  Highly recommend!

www.helimot.com/catalog/boots/boots_ladystar
WOW! For the money, I think I'll just stick with my 15-year old military combat boots, at least until I hear about a group buy or maybe a 90% off sale. :dribble:

Must be some darn nice boots.

A guy I ride with picked up a pair of these recently and thinks they're a lot of bang for the buck:
https://www.newenough.com/setup_gran_prix_h2o_boots_page.htm
Yeah, but that doesn't solve the problem for those who are vertically challenged.

Bikes2, the best seat modification for those with a short inseam is to have the front of the seat "narrowed". Amzingly, the seat doesn't seem all that tall when you don't have to stretch around the wide portion in the front. IIRC, that's what Kasey had done and now she feels secure at stops with the bike.

Has anyone here done a DIY seat mod to narrow the front portion of the seat? I have a 28" inseam and have to lean it alittle to one side to be flat footed. If it is possible to make some changes in the front plastic I would do it, but not take out the comfort of less foam. Any suggestions?

Has anyone here done a DIY seat mod to narrow the front portion of the seat? I have a 28" inseam and have to lean it alittle to one side to be flat footed. If it is possible to make some changes in the front plastic I would do it, but not take out the comfort of less foam. Any suggestions?
I had my seat professionally modified with the aim of reducing the height a little and also improving the comfort. The seat was done by Rocky Mayer, in Ojai, who I highly recommend.

Rockey showed me how the seat is pretty much the same width as the frame, so shaving off the sides will not gain you much height. He also gave me a choice of taking height off the top OR having a comfortable seat. Since I'm planning to share a lot of miles with this bike, I opted for the comfort.

With my goth boots, I'm able to get a flat foot on one side and a toe touch on the other side.

Jill

With my goth boots, I'm able to get a flat foot on one side and a toe touch on the other side.
Jill
so how are you likeing the bike?

I did get a chance to test ride one, but won't get my slightly used 05 till next month... :(

mary

so how are you likeing the bike?I did get a chance to test ride one, but won't get my slightly used 05 till next month... :(

mary
Well, I ride it every day and said goodbye to my VStar without any tears. Does that tell you something?

I was in love with the FJR before I got it, but the seat height and sheer power intimated me. I wasn't sure that I could tame such a beast. My VStar was back up just in case the beast won. Little by little, I'm feeling my way with the FJR. On the way to work last week, I glanced down at the speedo on entering the carpool lane. It said 100mph and I hadn't even STARTED to accelerate yet. That was just from nipping between the cars to get to the car pool lane!. Of course, I put the brakes on and slowed to 65mph immediately (yeah! right).

The ease of handling has won me over. I went back to the VStar for a few days, letting DH borrow my FJR. That bike and I have a 20K mile history together. What a shocker - it was hard to ride! It didn't want to turn corners the way that the FJR does.

I love the luxury of being able to lock my helmet safely away out of sight when I get to work. The fairing keeps me warm and cozy, even at 6am. The only downsides I've found so far are the fact that I can't paddle the bike backwards, and that it may be a ticker.

Now that DH has got his new bike (BMW K1200S), I have the FJR all to myself. It's a keeper!

Jill

The only downsides I've found so far are the fact that I can't paddle the bike backwards, and that it may be a ticker.
Now that DH has got his new bike (BMW K1200S), I have the FJR all to myself. It's a keeper!

Jill
I can understand about the old bike...when I rode the FJR it was so easy to ride... it was way fun...

well, at least if it's a ticker, you can get it fixed...

I was looking into having mine(when I get it!) lowered...

did that with the Bandit.. 1" shorter Progressive front springs and lowing links in rear...

I dont' ride that agressively that it should hurt cornering...

Iwas freaking out when we were riding thru the redwoods in Cali... even tho I knew there were 12 bikes ahead of me, I kept thinking I would go around one of those uturns and have a carload of tourists stopped in the middle of the road taking pics...

but i guess that's what i get for living in Hawaii fo so many years...

100mph, huh... sounds like fun!

do you think the cops would go for the "I can't read the speedo without my bifocals" line? After all, I is a timid old lady! <ROFFL>

<BG>

mary

Latest posts