Armor shirt (any experiances with these)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They offer real good protection, but I wouldn't ride with out a jacket over it, an example would be the arm armor would spin the instant it touched the ground..

Does anyone have experience with armor shirts? Are they not needed for street use? Are they too hot for comfort? I am considering getting one to wear in place of a jacket on hot days or under a jacket for better protection.

One web site that has these is: https://www.highvelocitygear.com/JuggernautBodyArmor.html

Thanks

Jim
For summer riding, I never liked the loose fit of my Aerostich Darien since I felt that the armor might not be where it was needed if I ever hit the ground.

Therefore, I removed the Aerostich pads and used this Bohn Body Armor under the Darien.

On hot days, I wear Merino Wool shirts under the armor and can stay reasonably comfortable.

I wouldn't ever consider wearing the armor shirt without leather or a textile jacket over it. I don't believe that the material would do a very good job of protecting my skin during a slide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

Is the Bohn armor soft on the outside, or is there a hard shell? Is the armor difficult to get on?

Thanks
The Bohn armor fits snug (if its sized correctly). The shirt isn't that hard to get on as the armor stays in place well and it zips up the front. I like that the armor stays in place and you can have a loose fitting jacket on top (for air).

The pants are a different story. The only zippers are at the bottom of the legs and the knee pads tend to shift (or even come out) as you are putting them on. The space for them is so they can be "adjusted" for different body types but I didn't see a way to keep them "high" in the pocket.

The default armor pieces (all replaceable) are not really hard shelled, but the elbow and knee pads have a hard surface on the outside while the rest does not.