Audiovox (like) cruise died on AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark0212

Reaction score
Well, had my cruise control for two years and the servo finally croaked! Was on bike and tried to engage, but nothing happend. All the green lights were lit on the control unit, but it just wouldn't engage. After further inspection, it turned out that the engine heat/cold cycle probably did it. The only place I found for the servo was on top of the head, behind the cooling pipes. I assumed it would eventually go, being in that spot. It never really worked that well anyway, as in always a slight delay engaging. Pulled it all out - I'm done with it! Now what? McCruise for a grand? :angry2:

Well, had my cruise control for two years and the servo finally croaked! Was on bike and tried to engage, but nothing happend. All the green lights were lit on the control unit, but it just wouldn't engage. After further inspection, it turned out that the engine heat/cold cycle probably did it. The only place I found for the servo was on top of the head, behind the cooling pipes. I assumed it would eventually go, being in that spot. It never really worked that well anyway, as in always a slight delay engaging. Pulled it all out - I'm done with it! Now what? McCruise for a grand? :angry:

Too late now since you pulled it all off but you could have just had a loose wire somewhere. Do you have brake lights? No brake lights means the cruise won't work. Second thing I would have checked is the connection from the brake light to the servo.

The brake light circuit is often the culprit. But, I have to ask if you sealed the control pad very well against moisture. I haven't seen heat take out the servo even when mounted behind the chin guard, near the headers. I have seen several control pads that were full of corrosion because they were not sealed tightly or someone used a RTV that attacks copper.

In terms of overall reliability I have seen the vacuum solenoids in the servo stick and cause the cruise not to set.

My Audiovox is at 5 years now, and no issues whatsoever. Servo is under the tool tray, not up by the engine, But I don't think that would be an issue. They're made to go under car hoods, after all.

Personally, I think an afternoon or less of troubleshooting would have gotten 'er goin'.

My Audiovox is at 5 years now, and no issues whatsoever. Servo is under the tool tray, not up by the engine, But I don't think that would be an issue. They're made to go under car hoods, after all.

Personally, I think an afternoon or less of troubleshooting would have gotten 'er goin'.

My Audiovox is about the same....Smitty installed and works just perfectly.....holds within 1 or 2 mph every time........

I started having problems with mine last year, but haven't taken any long trips so there was no priority in fixing it. Problem was that it wouldn't engage often, but occasionally would work fine. All lights normal on the control panel and it was very well sealed when I installed it 4 years ago.

What fixed it was to change DIP switch 7 to OFF. Funny that it worked fine for a few years and then suddenly started having trouble, but I can't argue with success.

Sounds like you already removed your AVCC, so too late to try that fix for your system unless you want to reinstall it.

Too late now since you pulled it all off but you could have just had a loose wire somewhere. Do you have brake lights? No brake lights means the cruise won't work. Second thing I would have checked is the connection from the brake light to the servo.
I tested the servo directly by applying a small AA 12v battery to the leads and it was toast. It was done based on someone else's directions since I really didn't know how to test it. I cant remember the exact details, but it proved the silenoid was the culprit and I couldn't find a replacement w/o buy the complete kit again. Anybody need a control unit?

Yeah, but it was lying on the cylinder head, whereas the mounting area under a car isn't usually attacted to the engine and doesn't experience the same level of heat. Afterall, its the AE and there is no other place to put it.

This won't help you, but might help sombody else. Link to a troubleshooting guide I wrote for Murph and hosted on his website:

Audiovox Troubleshooting Guide

Troubleshooting tips start on page 8
Thanks for the info! Just to add... and I quote,

"There are three solenoid/check valves to the unit's vacuum chamber which contains the diaphragm / throttle cable.

The first thing I did was ensure the diaphragm & chamber seals are good, connected directly to engine vacuum.

Next I verified all 3 solenoids work when energized directly with 12v.

One labelled "vac" is normally closed and sits between the vacuum line and the chamber. When energized, it permits vacuum to the diaphragm/cable. The other two are normally open release valves, one labelled "vent" (fine throttle control), and the other "dump" (brake press, probably)."

The "Vac" solenoid was toast, meaning it wouldn't bulge. The heat/cold cycle most likely killed it. Maybe I could have dug deeper and tried to disasseble, but I was done at that point. :unsure:

Sombody knows what they are doing! :rolleyes:

You're right it's dead. I've had a servo apart, you can't fix the solenoids.

...You're right it's dead. I've had a servo apart, you can't fix the solenoids.
Actually, I have had solenoids out and I have been able to fix them. The problem has been the plunger in the bore is out of alignment and sticks. It is also necessary to test the driver circuit on the board and make sure it hasn't been damaged.

...You're right it's dead. I've had a servo apart, you can't fix the solenoids.
Actually, I have had solenoids out and I have been able to fix them. The problem has been the plunger in the bore is out of alignment and sticks. It is also necessary to test the driver circuit on the board and make sure it hasn't been damaged.
I repaired a bad servo just by replacing the "hockey puck" that includes the electronics and solenoids. I left everything else in the system unchanged, took about 30 minutes to do the 1st time. I could probably switch out the "hockey puck" component in 10 minutes now.

My Audiovox still resides in the chin, close to the headers. Only been in there about 30K miles tho. Still works like a charm.

I have, however, had the vacuum check valve croak a couple times.