Aux lighting - on forks or on mirrors?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here's my question re.: PIAA 1100X lamps: if mounted low as in the picture above, can the lamps remain on at all times while underway day or night without offending on-coming traffic (assuming they're aimed correctly)? At this moment in time, my main objective is conspicuity, with less emphasis on night-time visibility as that's a once-in-50 occurrence. (I've located a Group Buy for the 1100X multi-fit kit on another site and which might just be too good to pass up...)
I am seriously looking at these. If you are more interested in other people seeing you they should do the trick. Especially the flashing ones.

Hyper-Lites Hyper-Whites
I just bought these for the wife's bike. I'll post a report when I get them on. They look really potent from the website.

Scott

So here's my question re.: PIAA 1100X lamps: if mounted low as in the picture above, can the lamps remain on at all times while underway day or night without offending on-coming traffic (assuming they're aimed correctly)? At this moment in time, my main objective is conspicuity, with less emphasis on night-time visibility as that's a once-in-50 occurrence. (I've located a Group Buy for the 1100X multi-fit kit on another site and which might just be too good to pass up...)
Like you said - I think its really a matter of 'aiming' the lights correctly. Down enough to not harrass the other drivers, but high enough to add some lighting benefit for you. Here is a pic on the PIAA website that may help.

1100x_la.gif

Scott

I just watched the videos of the hyper whites. They don't seem all that blatantly obvious to me. The halogen headlamps is/are considerably brighter than the LEDs, IMO

I've also thought of using the PIAA lights. My thought was to get 2 stanchions to space away from the caliper mounts, .250" alum. plate spanning the 2 stanchions w/longer grade 12.5 bolts to accomodate the plate/stanchions and then bolting the lights to that. This thread has tweaked my interest again in this! Might have to do it this time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just watched the videos of the hyper whites. They don't seem all that blatantly obvious to me. The halogen headlamps is/are considerably brighter than the LEDs, IMO
I wish he had a video of the flashing ones. I think that would be much more effective for getting cagers attention.

Thanks for the ongoing info folks!

I'm leaning toward the PIAA 1100x lights - mounted at the mirrors.

Which mirror brackets do folks prefer? I've heard Garauld's and FJRGoodies brackets mentioned.

I've also heard that HID use less wattage - but put out the same light?

Thanks Blokes!

Thanks for the ongoing info folks!
I'm leaning toward the PIAA 1100x lights - mounted at the mirrors.

Which mirror brackets do folks prefer? I've heard Garauld's and FJRGoodies brackets mentioned.

I've also heard that HID use less wattage - but put out the same light?

Thanks Blokes!
HIDs generate more light than halogen, with less wattage.

Garauld's brackets get rave reviews, and they're priced very competatively.

Great picture. My goal is fork mount, as well, but not using brake area. Did you have to fab the extension bracket or where could I find it? Also, which catalog # are your lights?

Many years ago I learned at the feet of a Lighting Master who learned at the feet of a Lighting Master. Dale told me something that has stood the test of time on multiple brands and models of bikes over more than a decade.

When considering a lighting solution, what do you want to accomplish? There are only 2 possiblilities: Seeing or Being Seen.

If you're interested in Being Seen then there are many different options; most of which create a triangle of lamps that increase your front cross section to other drivers on the road. That usually means your headlamp and 2 other lamps mounted somewhere below the headlamp (forks, lower fairing, crash bars, etc.).

Seeing applications need the lamps mounted high and wide. High for distance down the road. Wide to create a triangulation on obstacles that aids your binocular vision in seeing and recognizing those obstacles as early as possible.

The problem with trying to use a Being Seen solution for a Seeing application is that low-mounted lights lose the majority of their light into the road right in front of the bike; comforting to someone watching an area about 5 yards in front of their bike but useless in trying to see far enough ahead to react to obstacles.

The interesting thing about the Seeing application is that there is some triangulation provided by a high-and-wide installation that improves your Beeing Seen needs as a side benefit.

Being very frugal, I bought a pair of road lights at Auto Zone for about 25 bucks and made my own brackets out of a sheet of galvanized steel. Just bent and shaped it on a grinder, used the mirror posts for a guide, and painted everything flat black. Gives me good extra visibility and a bit more light to ride by at night.

IMG_0105.jpg

There's a switch I could have bypassed, but decided to mount it here.

IMG_0103.jpg

These can be aimed as desired, by the way. Please disregard all the crap in my driveway.

IMG_0104.jpg

That's all well and good...

But what is the Windex for? You didn't use that crap on your lexan windshield, did you? :nono:

PS - Nice self promotional Forum sticker on the CalSci shield, Mike. :yahoo:

But what is the Windex for? You didn't use that crap on your lexan windshield, did you? :nono:
I dunno. It seems to work. What do you suggest?
You don't want anything that has ammonia in it or it will eventually haze your plastic (hence my aversion to Windex). You can use any glass cleaner that has no ammonia, or you may want to use a plastic specific cleaner like Plexus (sp?).