• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Auxiliary Tank Group Buy (merged threads)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of right now, I have two orders (plus one possible). That means that I have enough to place an order. We are still in the top price zone and need to have five orders before I get a break (and pass those savings on to you)

That also answers your question about future pricing. I can't have these made one at a time. The shop I'm working with isn't interested unless they are making at least two and the price drops with larger orders. I will be able to have these made after the group buy ends, but not one at a time. Two is the minimum order.

My intention wasn't to rush anybody into anything. I just wanted to have the GB before my riding season started.

I can always use more help proving this tank will work in a gravity feed set-up. My personal set-up uses an auxiliary pump.

I don't have a rack made for the JAZ poly tank yet. But I'm a little encouraged by the interest in this and I'll probably end up finishing both the rack for the JAZ poly tank and something like the Tag-Along for the poor souls riding GenIs :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I am "in" for a tag along tank in the "naked" form at a minimum (still checking on accessories). I still have a couple of thoughts/concerns I will pass along today or tomorrow.

I will have to get the tank IBA inspected/certified as I plan to use it in the IB5K. Although not req'd for IBA, a puke tank design would make it compliant for all rallies. My plans will be to use it as gravity fed first and if I am not satisfied with the results, I will switch to a pump. Both of my prior set ups were gravity fed and never had any problems with the transfer (although the tanks sat much higher). Even if I need to use a pump, I don't see it as a downfall at all.

Joe, I would consider funding "an inventory" purchase if we are close the next price breakpoint. Once we get some tested miles on these tanks, you will get the orders.

Thanks, Corey Nuehring

Marion, IA

I am "in" for a tag along tank in the "naked" form at a minimum (still checking on accessories). I still have a couple of thoughts/concerns I will pass along today or tomorrow.
I have that price for you and I found something interesting when I was looking it up. I forgot to add tax and shipping to the list of fittings, valves, caps, etc. Since those are coming from different suppliers, the shipping expenses will add up. I'll still honor the prices I posted. Everyone will save a few extra bucks on this first group buy. ;)

$660 if there are two orders $625 if we have five orders, etc.

That's the cost of the tank with no surface finish, so fittings, valves, cap, or anything.

The count is at two.

The CAD model has been updated to reflect the lessons learned on the prototypes. Plus, I rotated the the JAZ bolt pattern 30 degrees per 01VFR's request (and eeksnake's approval).

Here is is:

verify_tat_2010mar26.jpg

I will place the order Monday.

I don't have a rack made for the JAZ poly tank yet. But I'm a little encourage by the interest in this and I'll probably end up finishing both the rack for the JAZ poly tank and something like the Tag-Along for the poor souls riding GenIs :D
As I said, Joe, if you come up with something that nice for GenIs, I'm likely to jump on one. Once you explained it, I quickly adopted the idea of being able to leave everything except the rear seat in place as the most elegant solution.

The count is at two.The CAD model has been updated to reflect the lessons learned on the prototypes. Plus, I rotated the the JAZ bolt pattern 30 degrees per 01VFR's request (and eeksnake's approval).

Here is is:

verify_tat_2010mar26.jpg

I will place the order Monday.

It looks awesome...I can't wait!

Oh, sure, THEY get the GOOD tanks! :rofl:
You got one that was good enough for who it's for. Maybe to good if your just going to pack water in it. :yahoo:
:lmfao:

Well, that gets my ass out of the liability sling!! The MoFo tank was obviously designed as a camel back!

:D

"MoFo Tank" ... I like it. Is that copyrighted?? Dibs on MoFo Tank for the GenI!

Damn! Getting one more in on this deal would be nice. I want someone to order the 45° filler neck (McMaster-Carr P/N 43485K154) and Pro-Werks C73-759 bung and cap assembly. I'll even throw in a FREE Perko locking gas cap (as long as you post how it works) in addition to the screw cap supplied by Pro-Werks.

One more. One More. One More!

There's still an hour and forty five minutes left if you're on the Left Coast (and five hours and forty five minutes if you're in Hawaii)

I realize I'm a little late to the party here. But I've been searching for a Gen II specific fuel cell. I'm on page 6 or 7 of the design thread. I suspect all of my questions will be answered over there. I'm not in a huge hurry, so if a second buyer comes along, we may have enough for a second run. Lemme get through that other thread and see if I still have questions...

edit - since I'm allowed to place conditions on my interest, I'd be interested if you etched a Hello Kitty design in to ALL of your products. Not just the ones I might purchase.

Okay, the volume of the aux tank is 4.8, my main is 6.6. Together that's 11.4. IBA regs are to be under 11.5 including any fuel lines, etc. Have you gotten buy off from Dale that your design meets the requirements? That would be a deal breaker for me. I saw him chime in a couple times, but never about volume - Dale's blessing (on the whole thing really!) would be huge for me.

The baffles are in the final design? I can do the foam thing, but would rather not.

Has Doug started his separate thread yet? I'd like to see how he does this from the ground up. the development thread gets confusing for this simple gal in terms of what is needs to install THIS version and not how things may have been left over from previous designs. This is NOT a criticism of YOU, rather a criticism of ME!

Nice job. Seriously nice job. You really know how to follow through on something!

Okay, the volume of the aux tank is 4.8, my main is 6.6. Together that's 11.4. IBA regs are to be under 11.5 including any fuel lines, etc. Have you gotten buy off from Dale that your design meets the requirements? That would be a deal breaker for me. I saw him chime in a couple times, but never about volume - Dale's blessing (on the whole thing really!) would be huge for me.
The baffles are in the final design? I can do the foam thing, but would rather not.

Has Doug started his separate thread yet? I'd like to see how he does this from the ground up. the development thread gets confusing for this simple gal in terms of what is needs to install THIS version and not how things may have been left over from previous designs. This is NOT a criticism of YOU, rather a criticism of ME!

Nice job. Seriously nice job. You really know how to follow through on something!
Kitty, I've run the tank over 220 miles filled with water (jeesh I've taken heat for that?) and there is no sloshing/movement perceptible to the rider. Hopefully my other parts will arrive soon I can hook it up to the main and run gasoline like the big gurlz n boyz!
More info on my install/fuel line routing/honest evaluation of the prototype tank.

Kitty, I've run the tank over 220 miles filled with water (jeesh I've taken heat for that?) and there is no sloshing/movement perceptible to the rider. Hopefully my other parts will arrive soon I can hook it up to the main and run gasoline like the big gurlz n boyz!
More info on my install/fuel line routing/honest evaluation of the prototype tank.
I believe, but could be wrong, that the sloshing isn't an issue when it's full, but rather partially full. When the tank is full, there's no where to slosh. Honestly, I never had anything in my current aux tank until it became a requirement and never had any issues at all. But it's a requirement, so important for me to know. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Curious why you'd fill it with water tho? Why not just put gasoline in it?

I factored IBR requirements into the design. Your question about volume is answered here: <Link>

A good photo of the baffles is here: <Link>

I'm not sure who Doug is. (Sorry Doug! :dntknw: ) I'm a little more confused about what he's doing from the ground up, but I can answer your questions about installing this version.

The rear seat comes off > Two screws through the grab rail are removed > Put the tank on > Put the two screws through the tank, grabrail and into the rear subframe.

BadaBing BadaBoom. Simple, Solid.

I am super excited about your interest in this! Three !! :yahoo: Would you like a screen shot of the filler neck and Pro-Werks C73-759 bung and cap assembly? Or, would you like yours with the flush mount fill cap? Or, just the hole and bolt pattern so you can install a JAZ 45° degree filler neck?

43485K154l.gif
[SIZE=14pt]- -[/SIZE]
C73-739_1.jpg
[SIZE=14pt]- -[/SIZE]
212962070.jpg

The photos give an idea of what I have in mind, but I haven't made a CAD model with these parts actually on the tank. (yet)

Don's full name is Doubting Don Little Faith

:D

Doug, Don, whatthefuckever. :lol:

As for the filler neck... Hmmm... I like the idea of the filler neck, but I guess I need to think that one through.

Has (Christ I'm gonna get his name wrong) Corey gotten Dale's blessing? I'm talking about the dude who was gonna run this for the IB5K? Awful bold to buy and install without Dale's blessing! I was in discussions with him many moons before the IBR to make sure my set up was cool with him.

What about a groundwire? I haven't seen mention of one yet.

I should probably look the other thread you referenced...

Doug, Don, whatthefuckever. :lol:
As for the filler neck... Hmmm... I like the idea of the filler neck, but I guess I need to think that one through.

Has (Christ I'm gonna get his name wrong) Corey gotten Dale's blessing? I'm talking about the dude who was gonna run this for the IB5K? Awful bold to buy and install without Dale's blessing! I was in discussions with him many moons before the IBR to make sure my set up was cool with him.

What about a groundwire? I haven't seen mention of one yet.

I should probably look the other thread you referenced...
Ground wire *is* only needed if you use a pump. Anyways, that is as simple as running a wire from a nut on the filler plate to your grounding block/frame. It's pretty hard to get someone IBA approve the tank until it is built...maybe I should have waited for the prototype to get "approved" but it looks to be solid to me and I already have a tank that can been approved pretty easily if it doesn't as I used in the NSR...(not keeping all my eggs in one basket). I figured I would get the tank in the next 30 days and set up a meeting for inspection sometime...afterall, I need to get some practice runs in.

Corey

Ground wire *is* only needed if you use a pump. Anyways, that is as simple as running a wire from a nut on the filler plate to your grounding block/frame. It's pretty hard to get someone IBA approve the tank until it is built...
The only way this tank won't be grounded is if the powder coat/surface finish extends into the screw holes. That's gonna be pretty tough to do. The two screws that attach the tank to the bike are about as grounded as you're going to get.

Warchild is pretty blunt. If there was a problem with the design, he would have posted. Plus, I was careful to follow all the advice he offered. Although; I didn't make the tank as high as he recommended. That would be a totally different design. There is no reason for the tank follow the lines of the bike if it's monolith on a pedestal. There is already a tank available that does that, and that tank is more expensive.

I mentioned "Simple" and "Solid" earlier, but sexy is a nice fringe benefit ;)

Ground wire *is* only needed if you use a pump. Anyways, that is as simple as running a wire from a nut on the filler plate to your grounding block/frame. It's pretty hard to get someone IBA approve the tank until it is built...maybe I should have waited for the prototype to get "approved" but it looks to be solid to me and I already have a tank that can been approved pretty easily if it doesn't as I used in the NSR...(not keeping all my eggs in one basket). I figured I would get the tank in the next 30 days and set up a meeting for inspection sometime...afterall, I need to get some practice runs in.
Corey
Unless the rules have changed, that's not quite true. However, I think Joe answered in his post - the bolded part in his response.

From the rules:

Non-metallic auxiliary tanks should be grounded to the frame of the motorcycle with a conductive strapor wire attached to the tank in the vicinity of the fuel inlet. Metal tanks do not require a grounding strap if

they are attached to the frame with conductive brackets.

Sexy indeed! I really do like it!

One other question, I see the vent hole in the highest point of the tank, but are you including a vent line to move the fuel away from the bike? Sorry if it's stated somewhere, I don't remember seeing it noted or in any of the pictures.

Good luck in the IB5K Corey! I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I would (and did) be having conversations with Dale to ensure that he doesn't take exception to something in this set up. Personally, I wouldn't take his silence as his consent. But again, that's just me!

One other question, I see the vent hole in the highest point of the tank, but are you including a vent line to move the fuel away from the bike? Sorry if it's stated somewhere, I don't remember seeing it noted or in any of the pictures.
Good luck in the IB5K Corey! I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I would (and did) be having conversations with Dale to ensure that he doesn't take exception to something in this set up. Personally, I wouldn't take his silence as his consent. But again, that's just me!
I am including the vent fitting. I assumed some would go from there to a burp tank and others would vent to an air intake filter.

I would love to see a few of these in the IBR next year! I would definitely make the trip to the starting line (as a spectator) for that! Do we have any IBR tech inspectors in the Midwest?

I believe, but could be wrong, that the sloshing isn't an issue when it's full, but rather partially full. When the tank is full, there's no where to slosh. Honestly, I never had anything in my current aux tank until it became a requirement and never had any issues at all. But it's a requirement, so important for me to know. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Kitty, you are absolutely correct, mia culpa. I'll take that bad boy out on Monday with 1/2 full of GAS and report back. My hunch is that there will be no problems.
Regarding the water thing, jeesh, will I ever live this down? I don't yet have my main tank drilled and fitted with bulk head fitting, waiting on parts from both Sampson and McMaster Carr. And I was/am impatient. I want it, and I want it NOW! :lol: So I filled with water just to see what the ride would be like.