• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Auxiliary Tank Group Buy (merged threads)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete,
On about the 18th page of this thread: Auxiliary Cell Design <Link> the Gen 1 tank design is shown.
Auxiliary Cell Design: Post #344
Good reading! I spent a good bit of time poring over that some time ago.

Auxiliary Cell Design : Post #215

(that thread is where I will be plucking the details to share here)
Seriously, if you have any interest in auxiliary tanks, you should check out that Auxiliary Cell Design thread. I poured everything I learned into that thread. There are ideas for every cost comfort zone, from the least expensive / most basic, to the most elegant works of functional art. (I may be a bit bias)
There's a ton of good information there, for sure. I have a project that someone started involving a plastic Jaz fuel cell, but have never spent the requsite time to fab up a mounting system - was hoping for something plug and play (more or less) but it looks like I should get busy with the Jaz tank and make it work!

Thanks for all of your work on this!

Thanks for all your hard work putting this together, guys. I'm in if we can get to 5 - I might be in anyway but let's try to get it to 5!

I'll look at picking it up on one of my business trips to the US to save on cross border shipping.

Joe, are you going to offer powder coating at $60 extra or is that off the table? Also, did running the fuel line into the fuel pump return port ever work out?

Joe, are you going to offer powder coating at $60 extra or is that off the table? Also, did running the fuel line into the fuel pump return port ever work out?
I will look into the powder coating. I'll visit the shop that did the work last time, plus I have a back up that I can visit. I'll have to get back to you on cost and added lead time.

Speaking of lead time... JSaul, this is your gig. Have you decided what the deadline is for orders?

The fuel fitting through the fuel pump flange worked so well, that I installed it on my 2012 Tiger 800 XC. It works fantastic for me. I'm a fan of auxiliary fuel pumps. I don't know if gravity feed advocates would have the same results.

A word about filler caps and filler necks. Six holes is what you want, like in the top of this photo:

aircraft_cap.jpg

Or, one of these:

dragster_fillers.jpg

Also, I have a photo somewhere of my tank and how I routed the vent line. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some photos. This is a good representation of what is included:

IMG_0062.JPG

With the exception that the length of hose going from the valve, arcing up and then resting on the table... I don't know why that was in there. That is not included.

You will need to buy your quick disconnects, fuel line from the valve to the quick disconnects and then to the OEM tank. Then, you will need to decide on whatever method of tapping into your OEM tank works best for you.

Be safe. Do your homework. Ask questions. Read the generously provided documentation from those who have gone down this foolish path before you.

I'll keep looking for photos. "I know I left them here somewhere"

Ah...
And then there are these bits...

IMG_0046.JPG

Did I mention I am not a toolmaker anymore?
Yep.
I'm sourcing these bits to be made (instead of making them myself) and will be ready to provide them to the fabrication shop by whatever deadline JSaul sets.

If two or three sets need to be made, might as well be five, right?

I thought I had a better photo of how I routed a vent line from my tank, but this is all I could find:

IMG_0267_cropped.jpg

Shown is my prototype tank, and one of the group buy tanks out for delivery.

I used clear Tygon fuel line, looping it for a sort of anti siphon tip over valve. There are lots of options out there for that too. You might choose to put an anti rollover valve on your puke tank.

All interested please declare by 15 July 2015 so we can determine pricing based on orders.

Deadline for group buy interest is 15 July 2015

Reminder all the time for commitment is near. This commitment will not lead to alimony directly down the road. Looking for commitments for group by for auxiliary tank purchase.

Clock runs out 15 July 2015.

Hey, I have one of these tanks from Joe and have Linda's Custom covers for it. It's been a great Aux tank and if needed can take pics for you all.

Dave

I'm also willing to take pictures/measurements for anybody that needs them. I have a decent set of measurements and diagrams for where I put the bulkhead fitting in my main tank as well.

I would like to add my name to the group buy on the assumption that the tank fits a Gen III.

JSaul would you consider extending the deadline by a few days. Just to allow conformation of the Gen III fit. If we can confirm the tank fits a Gen III, we may get more Gen III owners to commit to the group buy.

Cheers

Bill

Mr_Canoehead,

It would be quite a bit more complicated for me to have the powder coating done this time.

Sorry.

Let's extend until 20 July 2015 to let the Gen3 interested parties jump on.

Joe if this doesn't cause you any heartburn I am fine extending until the 20th of July 2015.

Right now, we are at four:

JSaul

fleetfoot

Mr_Canoehead (claims he's only in if we get to five, but I have a feeling he's in)

BritRiderr

One more order, and everyone will save $118.

Here's the update: I was hoping we would get to five, so I've been making five sets of the various bits/bungs that get welded to the tank.

I've had to beg to have access to the shop now that I'm not a toolmaker anymore, but no-one in their right mind would make these parts for me at a price I could afford to pay. Believe me, I tried!

Now. I'm ready to call the fab shop to have the tanks made, giving them the supplemental components when I place the order.

This is up to you guys. If you want to wait to get one more order, possibly from a Gen 3 rider, that is fine with me. Like I said, I'm ready to go. But I think we need to have a consensus. We don't want to have people bowing out if we are waiting too long for someone to get in.

p.s. I didn't mean to make it sound like five was the limit. If I need to make more sets of bits/bungs to provide to the fab shop, I will.

Yeah, I'm in. Let's get it to five (or higher). Since the seats and Gerauld's stiffy kit are the same for Gen II and Gen III, I can't see that the subframe is different.