Average age of FJR owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys here's my story. Did motocross in my teen years and at about 24yrs of age i had had enough. Borrowed a road bike off a friend in 07 and loved the freedom and socializing it gave. The saturday or sunday ride with the guys was a brilliant day out.

First puchase was a Yamaha FJ1100 1984 which to me was a classy looking bike even by todays standards . After riding the FJ for a couple of years it was time for a step up, and of course i wanted to travel further afield and have the reliability to go with it.

One day while surfing the net i just happened to run into the FJR and to be quite honest bought the bike purely on looks. To me the FJR was a stunner. I just had to have it. After owning it now for near two years,touring the south Is of NZ in 2010 and looking at a return trip Feb next year these are brilliant bikes.

The only way i would part with it is if i was going to buy a new one, and that could be on the cards down the track.To all you young fellas out there, and i see there are few of you, Well done ,you,ve made a great choice cause this is one hell of a ride.

Gazza 52
Seeing you're from NZ reminds me of how often I've thought how this magnificent machine might have been appreciated by your fellow countryman, Burt Munro. Imagine going this fast COMFORTABLY and without having to cast your own pistons!

For what it's worth, I turned 58 today, been riding legally for 44 years. First bike was a Yamaha YL-1 Twin Jet 100.

Went thru my mid-life crisis at the age of 12. Bought a motorcycle, never regretted it. :thumbsupsmiley:

That was . . . uummmm . . . 42 years ago, so makes me 54.

Add another late 20's person. I have to say, most people here are probably over 40. But that just makes this place that much more a wealthy of information.
Well, if old age makes us wealthy: Thanks to Papa Chuy, RadioHowie, SacramentoMike, FJRay, Niehart and Tucson Joe - We here on our FJR Forum are a pack of fecking Billionaires!!!

Well, if old age makes us wealthy: Thanks to Papa Chuy, RadioHowie, SacramentoMike, FJRay, Niehart and Tucson Joe - We here on our FJR Forum are a pack of fecking Billionaires!!!
Amen.

This place oughta be called "the home".

SacMike knew Jesus.
Namedropper! I actually played softball with Pontius Pilate, a great second baseman!

You know Old Michael, the more I think about it, I believe FastJoyRide played shortstop on that team!

And MadMike2 played outfield, left field if I remember correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep going to regional FJR events where I see lots and lots of FJRs but I've only met one or two FJR owners. Usually the parking lots at the venues are filled with grizzled, gray haired old guys guzzling suds and smoking ceegars. The next morning some unknown persons in full gear show up, leap on the FJRs and roar off into the sunrise. I've met a young Biker Geek rider and a COMPRESSION LIBERATOR or some such name and an Aroostook, all young hot-shot FJR riders, but all the other FJR riders must be hiding someplace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started riding in 78. In 87 I had a power saw accident that left me with limited use of my left hand (could no longer operate the clutch lever).In 06 got an email from my brother-in-law (06 soft tail at the time) about a bike with a computer controled clutch (began to drool)at the time I was involved in renevations to mom's house to be sold as part of the estate so I was finanacialy unable to make a move. House finally sold in 09 and ran to the dealer for my 09AE. :yahoo: Come January I'll be 58. :p

SacMike knew Jesus.
That's right, pal. I KNEW Jesus. And you, sir, are no Jesus.

Speaking of Jesus, another miraculous thread resurrection!

And finally, I noticed on the list of today's member birthdays, we have TWO Nineteen-year olds (Ranch Hand and olliethe3rd)! Happy birthday, kids. Way to lower the average. :lol:

72 in February. Use the FJR for long western trips based out of Vegas and keep my shiny red K1300S for Florida and the eastern mountains.

Picked up my 09 FJR in June of this year. First street bike in 31 years. Always focused on off road since then, but I really enjoy this bike. Too cold to ride now at this altitude, need to load it in the trailer and head south soon. I am 54.

32 now. been riding since i was 21. First bike was a 81 yamah xj750 seca. When my brother wrecked that one, i ended up getting a 91 FJ1200. went from 17k mi on it when i bought it to 42k on it when it was stolen 2.5 yrs later.

I swore if yamaha made a bike that was shaft drive and fuel injected, i would have to buy it.

been without a bike for about 5 yrs. Im in a better place financially, and missed riding. Saw a sweet deal for an 05 fjr1300 on craigslist. gave the guy a call, and the rest is history.

I have had it now for a month and a half and love it.