Avg FJR guy Economic status: poll part III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If your given free 15,000 $ by an imaginary FJR forum millionaire :) lol and you could only do

• Invest into productive stuff / bank stock etc

Votes: 45 84.9%
  • finish off debts

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • upgrade to newer FJR

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Buy another FJR

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • upgrade to higher priced motorcycle like BMW / Ducatis etc

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • buy another other type/brand of motorcycle in addition to FJR

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • spend on family / like vacation / gifts / kids college fund etc

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • take a cost to cost trip in USA with extended motorcycling vacation alone or with family

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • fly off some where and take a motorcycling vacation alone or with family

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • spend on other extravaganza Eg: party, buy car, boat etc

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand people's aversion to discussing how much they make. Maybe this is because for the last 20 years, my salary has been public information. You guys know that an Intellius search will cough up your net worth in less than 5 seconds right?
Really, how hard is it to know how much someone makes. I'll go out on a limb and say you guys with huge houses, 5 motorcycles, expensive cars and nice shit make more than me. Aaaaaaaaand, I don't care. Lol...

I saw this a while back and thank it's both funny and interesting:
As a public employee my salary is published in the local newspaper every year. As it turns out, most people don't read the paper anymore, and some at K-State lose there minds when they find out it's public knowledge. When they first started doing it years ago the Athletic Director of KU took it to court, claiming that as the athletic department was technically separate from the university (as most of them are set up in the US) his salary was private. The KS supreme court said he was out of his mind, so we now know he's the highest payed state employee, and has been for decades. The top 10-20 in Kansas are AD's and coaches, like many states, showing where our priorities are.

No one is forcing anyone to answer the questions. If you are concerned, don't answer.

Appreciate your effort Doc, hope you don't let those with PMS shut you down.

One vote to continue from here.

I don't see the problem. Just answer whatever you feel like. Feeling poor this week? Less than $40k. Feeling better? Check the big box!

Personally, this week I feel like a very wealthy retiree with military service and very low debt who collects planes and boats.

Next time I may be poor, overworked and up to my eyeballs in debt...but I'll still collect airplanes! Will that skew the results?
punk.gif

Sorry but I really am not a cranky old man.
no.gif
I was curious about the purpose of the poll and it did seem more personal than "What color do you want next years FJR to be?" Everyone can do whatever they want to do about the poll I was not trying to bring heat on the OP. If someone is asking me to respond to a poll, I can ask why.

Enjoying the survey and as noted it is anonymous. Data could be used for marketing but the same thing can be said of answering all the questions when you register almost anything for warranty purposes. The majority of the questions on warranty registration forms are only designed to determine which of the manufacturers other products can be pitched to you in an effort to influence your buying decisions. All those forms get from me is name, address.date and model number.

I was going to ask the management to shut the thread down, but after seeing some support i am thinking just to let it be since it took me some time to type up all that text and options
smile.png
I guess those who dont feel comfortable to answer some quesions can just ignore specific parts which sounds like too much info.

Again i was not trying to be intrusive since in my mind this was as a blind study as it can be with no one knowing who responded or what they responded to. I agree if we walk up to a person and ask his financial situation it sounds real direct. In real life i am an introvert and hide in the corner kinda guy and will never be able to hold a conversation solid enough to ask you these things
biggrin.png

disclaimer: I have no financial gain, no professional gain, and no any sort of hidden gains. I do nothing with this, all the data is open to every one to see. This was just an intellectual exercise and thought every one would enjoy to know the results and be curious what the brethren FJR tribe looks like. I wish i could do this to almost all the types of motorcycles forums for eg: imagine what kind of answers will ducati monster or zx14 guys be giving. > here is the interesting part > we all have our stereotypes about the "specific bike ownership" pattern. But will it hold true.

in the coming weeks i wanted to do a 'social status' and 'health status' poll. As of now dont know if i should at this point. Might be bit more intrusive than this . In one extreme, some thing silly like - has any hitchhiker asked you for a ride/ or u offered a stranger a ride, or what type of food you prefer on longer rider etc to the other extreme - some thing like 'have a serious medical conditions like coronary artery disease ' or not ( possibly many will consider this super intrusive and personal
sad.png
) But be honest arent you guys at least some what curious to know the answers to these questions, doesnt it sound some what interesting. One lucky guy in here might have given a stranded actress a ride while she was stranded between vegas and LA, or there might be multiple guys who had multiple bypass surgery and still wouldnt quit riding a 670lb bike. May be its just me
sad.png

another example, The polls so far show - avg Fjr owner age is pushing closer to 60s, but majority still have to work, most over 50 hrs. And still manage to carry on with a hobby and ride an Fjr. And overwhelming majority managed to get a performance award from the police. This one sentence breaks many stereotypes held by non riders and riders of other style of bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another public employee here...with a little searching one can determine what all 1000+ employees of the District bring home. It is what it is, can't change the rules. If I were that worried about it, I'd hunt for another job...
no.gif

Pretty clear demographic so far and one I would expect knowing a bunch of you bums here!

--G

Status
Not open for further replies.