The 2015/2016 Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When it is time to replace the tires (pick 3)

• I have a shop change them

Votes: 228 49.1%
  • I change my own (or have a friend change them)

Votes: 178 38.4%
  • I change them in sets (front and rear at the same time)

Votes: 193 41.6%
  • I change them when they wear out (not in at the same time)

Votes: 199 42.9%
  • I always use the same brand and model front and rear (matched sets)

Votes: 258 55.6%
  • I sometimes use different model tires front and rear and select what I think is the best for each.

Votes: 77 16.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mondai nai, Hud-san. This forum requires development of ninja level 3 Google-fu to find even the stuff you know exists.
ph34r2.gif

I went to the source regarding current PR 2's.

Regarding your email stating:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love my PR 4s but I am only getting 9500 miles per set when I used to get 15K per set of PR 2s. Same bike, same rider, same roads. Are PR 2s still being currently manufactured?

We apologize about the inconvenience, but the Pilot Road 2 tires have been discontinued in the needed sizes and are no longer available. At Michelin, we continuously strive to be leaders in safety and innovation, which means we're constantly improving our existing products. It seems like at the moment you may be using the Pilot Road 4 GT. These tires are actually kind of a hybrid between a bias and radial tire which along with their softer compound kind of the expected life of the tires, but increases the amount of weight the tire is able to handle to be sutable for those larger GT applications. We show that the tires where discontinued about a hear and a half ago so there is the possibliity you may find the tires still in someones private stock. Again we apologize about the inconvenience.

Has anyone had experience with the NEW Dunlop Roadsmart lll's yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

I love my PR 4s but I am only getting 9500 miles per set when I used to get 15K per set of PR 2s. Same bike, same rider, same roads. Are PR 2s still being currently manufactured?

We apologize about the inconvenience, but the Pilot Road 2 tires have been discontinued in the needed sizes and are no longer available. At Michelin, we continuously strive to be leaders in safety and innovation, which means we're constantly improving our existing products. It seems like at the moment you may be using the Pilot Road 4 GT. These tires are actually kind of a hybrid between a bias and radial tire which along with their softer compound kind of the expected life of the tires, but increases the amount of weight the tire is able to handle to be sutable for those larger GT applications. We show that the tires where discontinued about a hear and a half ago so there is the possibliity you may find the tires still in someones private stock. Again we apologize about the inconvenience.

Was that a copy-and-paste from their reply to you? If so, I'm not very impressed.

I've been almost anal about checking air pressure in my tires on this last set of Michelin PR4s. My goal was see if I could get past the 10,000 miles mark without feeling like I was riding on square tires.

So before, at the very least, every other ride I would make sure the front had 40 lbs. and the rear 42. Just went out and looked at my mileage and as of right now I've put 13,000 miles on them. They both show very even wear with almost no scalloping on the front. I wouldn't take off on a multi day ride with them but I'm sure they are good for another 500 miles or so. So that's my experience!

All the rain in Seattle must reduce the wear on those tires.
punk.gif
. I will not get that on the dry side of the hill. - Nice job

Was that a copy-and-paste from their reply to you? If so, I'm not very impressed.
Yes, it was.

I've been almost anal about checking air pressure in my tires on this last set of Michelin PR4s. My goal was see if I could get past the 10,000 miles mark without feeling like I was riding on square tires.
So before, at the very least, every other ride I would make sure the front had 40 lbs. and the rear 42. Just went out and looked at my mileage and as of right now I've put 13,000 miles on them. They both show very even wear with almost no scalloping on the front. I wouldn't take off on a multi day ride with them but I'm sure they are good for another 500 miles or so. So that's my experience!
I also am anal about my tire pressure and also run 40/42. I wonder if adding the GIVI 56 l Maxia and hardware has anything to do with mileage. I'm at 9500 and need to change.

I've never got more than ~9500 miles from a PR2 rear before. Because I avoid slab whenever possible, I always wear out the softer side compound before the center strip is down to the quick. On our cross country trip to MT and WY I put a new PR2 on before leaving and when I got back after 6500 miles it looked very good (except for the plug I had to put into it in MI) and actually that tire is still on the bike 2 1/2 years later in my son's tenure (he doesn't ride too many miles / yr.)

The type of miles ridden and the roads ridden on will make too much difference in the overall lifespan of the tire to compare longevity between riders.

PS - PR2 rears are still available in the 180/55-17 size. I'll keep running them until the supply dries up.

Yes, some are in the pipeline still but I am afraid of getting one from the bottom of the pile that's 3 or 4 years old. I still like them.

Have you heard any feedback on the Dunlop Roadsmart lll's?

I haven't heard much about the Dunlop Roadsmart III. They are, of course, hyping them as the latest and greatest but they would have to be a LOT better than the RS II before I would buy them. Not much in the way of comparable reviews yet. I will also be interested. The new shit-hot latest and greatest of a couple of years ago (Pirelli Angel GT) was a big disappointment; not living up to the hype IMHO - unimpressive life and the only tire that ever gave me bad steering wobbles by 3500 miles.

...I just ordered a set of the new Roadsmart III's. I won't be putting them on the bike till just before heading out to YFO in the end of May.

Just put a set of PR4's on my '05 last weekend.... dang! Most expensive tires I've ever put on a bike but I wanted them for my all-weather commuting. Got about 9500 miles on the PR3's... rear down to the wear bars in a few spots and slightly flat in the middle but the front was still good for a few more miles (I like to replace them as sets). Went up to the 190 in the rear but the extra width is barely noticeable (no matter, I wanted the extra ht.)

Regards,

Mr. BR

Edit: rear tire is 190/55 x17 (non-GT)

FJRLoonie posed: I'll need to change out tires this summer. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried the new(ish) Metzeler Roadtec 01?
Awesome tires in wet and dry. Got about 12,000 miles on them before changing them out for Metzeler Roadtec 08s. Had some life left in them, but will be doing about 2,000 miles the weekend of March 4-5, so .....

Buy them again? Absolutely. Almost as good as T-30s and PR4s, but far less cost. I commute on the FJR, so longevity and cost are important factors.

Just scored a set of PR2's before there gone for good. I still have the a set on the 2008 that have gone over 15K and more to go. Haven't changed them in two seasons of MC riding. The just keep on going.

Dave

I am one of those 15K+ riders on PR2's. I also live in the land of flatness and curvey roads are almost unheard of around these parts. Also are asphalt is not like the chip seal they use out west which looks a lot more abrasive on tires.

Dave

wow...good thing that's settled
rolleyes.gif
By the way, the new Roadsmart 3 tires that I ordered on Tuesday were delivered yesterday.

FJRLoonie posed: I'll need to change out tires this summer. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried the new(ish) Metzeler Roadtec 01?
Awesome tires in wet and dry. Got about 12,000 miles on them before changing them out for Metzeler Roadtec 08s. Had some life left in them, but will be doing about 2,000 miles the weekend of March 4-5, so .....

Buy them again? Absolutely. Almost as good as T-30s and PR4s, but far less cost. I commute on the FJR, so longevity and cost are important factors.
Are the Metzelers you last put on the Z8s? I can't find anything on a Roadtec 08. If I have it straight, the Z8 was out several years back (maybe 2012?) and the Roadtec 01 just came out last year.

You are correct, sir, Just came back from the parking deck to confirm: I typed in bad shit. My FJR is currently wearing Roadtec Z8s. I tried the Roadtec 01s for NAFO based on

and other internet sources, and am trying the Z8s based on the same video.
I cannot discern any difference between the two Metzelers, except price.

Can't believe the PR4s came in 6th place out of 6 tires, but it's only one man's opinion, and, as they say, Your Mileage May Vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.