• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Awesome deal on cold weather gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tested them out this week. In the dry they are definitely warmer than my Teknic Winter and waterproof gloves.

In the wet, well it rained about an inch today, I was only out in the heaviest of it for an hour and 15, these gloves are not waterproof, ummm no sir not one bit. Hands were quite damp and the whole glove was soggy like a wet dog.

My Teknics in comparison had kept my hands completely dry when I rode a couple hours in three quarters of an inch precipitation.

So for the price they are great dry Winter gloves, but don't count on them to keep your hands dry in the wet.

That's good to know, thanks!

I've got a can of Kiwi Camp Dry from Walmart I'll treat mine with prior to trying them in bad weather. The stuff works great on my boots and rain gear, so I see no reason it wouldn't help with these gloves.

https://www.kiwicampdry.com/

Camp Dry is good stuff, but it stinks (literally) so try it out on a rag first and see if you really want that on your gloves. I've used it on rain jackets before and wished that I had not.

Any silicone type spray is just going to make the outer surface of the fabric water repellant. The waterproof breathable liner is supposed to keep your inner glove dry(er) but that is awfully hard when the outside and insulation become soaked. Another product to treat fabric or leather gloves that isn't quite so noxious smelling is 3M scotch guard. I use that on the outside of GoreTex rain gear to improve its water resistance.

I've never owned a pair of motorcycle gloves that were truly waterproof when tested in a steady hard rain. The best system seems to be to get some outer rain gloves like the Aerostich claws for the really heavy rain rides.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Any silicone type spray is just going to make the outer surface of the fabric water repellant. The waterproof breathable liner is supposed to keep your inner glove dry(er) but that is awfully hard when the outside and insulation become soaked. Another product to treat fabric or leather gloves that isn't quite so noxious smelling is 3M scotch guard...I've never owned a pair of motorcycle gloves that were truly waterproof when tested in a steady hard rain...
A few years ago at a Whitehorse open house I picked up some Tour Master gloves with a HiPora liner and to this point I have never had wet hands. I'm not shy about riding in rain and no matter how hard it has rained or how long I have been in the rain these gloves have always kept my hands dry. Heck, I even wear these gloves when I run my snow blower and I still remain warm 'n dry. (The picture is a clickable link.)

Yeah I also have some First Gear TPG gloves w/ Hipora lining (Glaciers) and they are pretty good in light rain or for shorter rides. But eventually even they have become damp inside. They are probably a whole lot better at keeping out the H2O out than these bargain gloves. But they cost a whole lot more too. ;)

Might have to try some of those tourmasters. After all they have the ionbeam seal of approval!

So how's the sizing on those tourmaster gloves? Too many times I have tried on XL only to find that they were too small. And I don't have that enourmous of hands.

So how's the sizing on those tourmaster gloves? Too many times I have tried on XL only to find that they were too small...
That's one of the nice things about having Whitehorse relatively close by, I can have a nice little ride, then try things on. I normally wear XL gloves and it turns out that the Tourmaster XL gloves were exactly the right size. I got them at a real good price during their open house. Hmmm, it doesn't look like Whitehorse carries them anymore.

Made me look, the gloves I have are Winter Elite II MT. They have nice reflectors on the wrist and edge of the hand. The gloves also have a polar cold cover that is stored in the wrist of the gloves. When you pull out the cover and look at it, it doesn't look like it would do much -- and it doesn't do much except be a PITA to deal with.

I used to spray stuff with Scotch Guard all the time to help with the water. Never knew of that really worked. Maybe that's what I'll do. I've never used the Camp Dry stuff, but I have a sensitive nose. If my gloves stink, that's gonna bug me.

Only problem I've had with these gloves so far is they are so stiff. Hand cramps by the time I get to work. I kind of hope they break in fast, but I also hope my opportunities to wear them end soon.
biggrin.png