Back Protectors / Body Armor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockwells

Reaction score
Howdy Gang!

Tried a couple searches, not much help. Anyway, most of you know I went down about three weeks ago, somersaulted over front of the bike, landing on my left sholderblade area, tumbled and slid aways. I was wearing a Tourmaster Intake jacket, Tourmaster pants, Bell 3/4 helmet, gloves & boots. No roadrash, tore up those pants pretty good though. Helmet took a beating, no noticable dammage to the jacket. Ended up w/ seven broken ribs on my left back area.

I'm wondering if one of those back protectors would have helped? The Intake has hard armor in the sholders and elbows, but only some chessey padding in the back area.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I rode for the first year in my Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket without a back pad, and no hip pads in my Darien pants. But I finally ponied-up and got them all. The backpad can be put in other jackets, find it here. I figure every little bit helps, and I know their TF3 armor is going to work a lot better than some cheesy padding.

When not wearing my Aerostitch with the back protector insert, I wear a regular ol' Ninja Turtle-style articulated back protector made by Dainese. The first 60 seconds of this video shows my typical Sunday-ride gear, including Ninja Turtle back protector.

When we rode together, though t'weren't my place to mention it :rolleyes: , I felt you were slightly under-protected. But of course that's your call.

I'd get a full-face helmet to start. The majority of helmet strikes are to the left and right chin areas, which means you're likely to break your jaw in an accident if only wearing a 3/4 helmet.

(I thought you broke 42 ribs?)

Last edited by a moderator:
When not wearing my Aerostitch with the back protector insert, I wear a regular ol' Ninja Turtle-style articulated back protector made by Dainese.
I wear an ealier model of this back protector. Having been through two highsides roadracing (backprotectors are mandatory) and walked away from both without back injuries. I am a believer in their value to the point I won't ride without one. I have a 'stich and I think the back protector they offer is inadequate, so I wear my old roadrace one inside the 'stich.

One of my highsides was caused from someone oiling the outside ofthe race line. I was riding an Honda RS250 grandprix bike. So momoentum is everything through the corners to keep your lap times down. I was backing into a corner with the backend about a foot out of line with the front and had just started to open the throttle to drive out of the corner when the rear tire got into the oil. (they ran two different classes on the track at the same time) The bike went sideways and I was launched about 15-20 feet in the air according to the corner workers. I rolled out of it and landed flat on my back. Spread out the impact well enough that I didn't even knock the wind out of me. Did break my foot on the launch off the bike, but that was it. No sore back, no broken ribs. I know part of it was how I landed, but part of it was the protective gear.

The main thing is to get one that fits comfortably so you wear it always. Becareful of the the ones that are race only. some have a piece that goes down to protect the tail bone. Unless you are hunched over in a race position it is very uncomfortable for street riding.

Have to agree with Toe that Skyway's T-Pro armor is right at the top. The best armor is one with the right rating but soft construction so it takes the impact and not your body. Hard armor can be just as bad if not worse than none at all. We are not usually riding in the dirt or on the track. The point being, wear ATGATT. All the gear, all the time. Wearing it is way better than not. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I stuffed a Dainese BackSpace G into my Frank Thomas Strike jacket. It feels just right along with the rest of the suit's GP armor. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit into my Olympia Airglide II jacket (which I ride 2/3 of the year in.) The good thing is that the Airglide has two sets of foam back protection in the jacket.