Bad Brake Lines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleTy

LOVE 2 RIDE & RIDE 2 LOVE
Reaction score
Going through the mountain passes this year, I experienced brake fading several times and had to pull over.

I had the same experience on my sport bike on the race tracks on the stock rubber lines, the problem went away once I installed SS braided brakes lines.

This coming year, I plan on replacing the stock brake lines with SS braided brake lines.

Before I do, I wanted to get some feedback on your experience and preferences.

1. I noticed that they are fairly more costly on the FJR than most other motorcycles.

2. Also where did you get yours and what kind did you buy.

3. Did you notice a big improvement?

Thank you for your feedback and help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your problem is NOT the OEM brake lines, it's old brake fluid, which has absorbed water which expands under extended heavy braking leading to brake fade.

The reason your sport bike braking problem was solved after installing SS lines is that in the process you had to replace the brake fluid.

I ride my FJR pretty damn hard in the mountain twisties and have experienced the same problem when I skipped the periodic brake fluid flush one time. You should flush your brake fluid at least once a year.

Don't get me wrong, SS lines are an excellent farkle, but not if you're doing this just to fix a quick and simple problem of brake fade due to old fluid.

Brake fluid 101

CLICKY

Steel brake lines, my humble opinion: they won't lighten your bike, but they will lighten your wallet-- a lot. They don't increase your performance, but they will increase your feel. However, unless you're 10 times the rider I am, you won't notice the difference much, if AT ALL.

Gary

darksider #44

And while you're flushing your Brakes, also flush the clutch fluid. You'll be amazed at how dirty it gets even after a few months of use.

I agree with JamesK - I've run the bike pretty hard as well and never had any fade. If my bike was going to have a time to exhibit brake fade, it would have been at EOM this year - 500 miles of twisties at a pace not legal for discussion. Flush or have it flushed and see if that changes anything. The additional cost can be contributed to the additional lines that make up the linked brake system as compared to a typical sport bike application.

SS lines will NOT cure fade, exept as mentioned, to install them you have to replace the brake fluid. They supposedly change the feel, though, giving the lever a firmer feedback. Dunno, never changed any lines.

But "softer" brake lines have nothing whatsoever to do with brake fade.

Brake fluid 101

CLICKY

Gary

darksider #44
+1

This was my first year on an FJR. I found the brakes a bit 'spongey' and was considering replacing the pads, though they looked fine. Saw Gary's fluid wiki and flushed brake and clutch lines - the difference was like night and day.

If you haven't done this already, might be a good place to start.

Al.

I know the brake fluid does need to be replace desperately. I believe this will make a significant difference!

Thank you for the feedback and help :)

Do you think SS lines will improve the braking performance on the FJR?

My understanding is brake systems 'normally' operate around 750 psi max. Standard rubber lines are good for ~8000 psi, while steel lines are good for ~20,000 psi.

Even brand new rubber lines will expand (very slightly) under pressure and give a slightly mushy feeling. For the vast majority this will be barely noticeable. Steel braided lines will not expand and give a more 'direct' feel.

Overall performance is not affected either way.

As has already been covered above old (contaminated) brake fluid will cause fading, usually when the water in the fluid turns to steam and becomes a compressible vapour.

Don

I know the brake fluid does need to be replace desperately. I believe this will make a significant difference!

Brake fluid is cheap. Certainly cheaper than new lines. I would recommend trying the flush first, and see how it feels. If you still feel you need SS lines, knock yourself out.

Edited for grammar

I would ask this question: Once you've completed your brake fluid flush and refill, take her for a test drive, and then ask yourself this question: do you still think you need to improve the performance of the FJR's brakes?

Gary

darksider #44

Good question. He may need the aid of a chute.....

I'll bet the 2013 model has one. Maybe it will be the latest farkle mod......