Bad Day at the Gas Pumps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:( yep did the same thing a month or so ago, taking a long ride home from work and looking at my maps when, there is was only I was sitting on the bike so i was taking a bath as well, rode straight to the car wash and washed everything after grabbing the window wash bucket and pouring it over the bike to get as much of that liquid fire off.

Just now was able to clean and start wearing my gloves again.

Auto-shutoff pumps ARE NOT DESIGNED to work with a bike. YOU SHOULD NEVER RELY ON THESE WHEN FILLING A MOTORCYCLE.

No offense, but this one is entirely your fault, not the gas station's.
I dis-respectfully disagree! :p

I ALWAYS use the auto shut-off feature. Now frequently, I manually turn it off before full, but many times I let it do its thing so to speak. I only had a problem once. On my way home from WFO-3 - in Jackson, WY, at a Chevron dealer. Auto shut-off did not shut off, and seemed like a gallon of gas spilled out the tank. It was probably much less, but it sure seemed like a lot. My FJR was HOT, having just done quite a bit of stop-n-go through the heavy traffic of Jackson. Not fun, but no major problems.

Like I said, I still use the auto shut-off frequently, but I do keep a close eye on it to prevent any repeat "Old Faithfull" performances.

Sorry to hear about your *fun* EXPDSGT. Don't do that anymore!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scooter -- I agree with you about how much a probably "small" amount of gas looks like on your FJR and the ground.

I gassed again today. This station has the new style recovery thingy--it is only about 2-3 inches long. The

old(er) ones were 6-8 inches long and you could grab them and pull them back and fill up. This one would not move and it would pump without holding it back. But that didn't help -- My FJR has five little holes and the big hole for the nozzle. With the nozzle in the big hole the stupid ring covers all of the five little holes. YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. I was so paranoid after yesterday that it took me forever to fill up five gallons. And it did shut off -- the auto off worked and this was the same station but different pump.

It looked like the nozzle was into the big hole 3-4 inches so it shut off with no problem. I still believe yesterday that the pump malfunctioned. Gas was shooting out all sides of the black rubber recovery ring and gas was still coming. Today the gas barely touched the tip and off it went.

1-I will never sit on the bike and gas again;

2-I will never use the locking device again;

3-I will not look at the pump or anything else while gassing-I will look at the opening for signs of "GAS"

4-I will try to use stations that have buckets rather than mounted water containers for the windshield water;

5-I hope someone has an idea how to safely gas in California.

C.R.

1-I will never sit on the bike and gas again; Good thinking! I like my privates warmed by the FJR, not "Fast Roasted" at the gas pump.
2-I will never use the locking device again; You're a quick learner.

3-I will not look at the pump or anything else while gassing-I will look at the opening for signs of "GAS". I always do that, standing at the "pump" side with the bike on the centerstand.

4-I will try to use stations that have buckets rather than mounted water containers for the windshield water; If yuh doesn't spill, yuh doesn't need tuh give the bike uh bath. Eeew, bug contaminated soapy water on my waxed gas tank!?!?!?!? It might be better to carry a small can of "Honda Polish" and a soft rag, if you're going to be "messy".

5-I hope someone has an idea how to safely gas in California. Refer to above suggestions and examples.....

C.R.
:D :crazy: :lol2:

I'd say you were lucky; my brother-in-laws BMW touring bike (forgive me, I can't keep track of their models...they all have 1200 and a K, R, S or T in the name..it gives me a headache!) burned up a couple of years ago when he overflowed the tank onto a hot motor and it lit off inside the fairing..no good. I never have tried the auto-shutoff feature on a bike; of course here in Tejas we don't have to dick around with the rubber nozzles; (we had'em years ago though and I'm sure they'll return) the vapor recovery is through perforations on the end of the nozzle.

I know spilling gasoline on a hot motor is a scary thing, but with a flash point of 475 degrees, is there really anyplace on the exterior of a hot motorcycle engine, shut off and being fueled, that is hot enough to cause gasoline combustion?

Not that I'd pour gas all over my FJR to find out, but I'd think it was starting a bike soaked in gas that's in danger of catching fire, not just spilling some gas on it.

Any petrochemical engineers wanna chime in on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
No engineering degree here, but I do teach fire behavior(and have stayed at a holiday Inn). Flash point refers to the lowest temp. a volatile substance will evolve enough vapor to flash momentarily ( gasoline minus 45 degrees approx). As substance is heated more vapor evolves.

Howie nailed it with the 475 degree mark, this is where gas reaches its autoignition temperature at atmospheric pressure.

So gas vapors are always present, and with the right rich/lean mixture and a spark arcing from plug cap, static arcing, etc. Flame on!!

How about header temps? Anyone know if they reach the magic number?

No engineering degree here, but I do teach fire behavior(and have stayed at a holiday Inn). Flash point refers to the lowest temp. a volatile substance will evolve enough vapor to flash momentarily ( gasoline minus 45 degrees approx). As substance is heated more vapor evolves. Howie nailed it with the 475 degree mark, this is where gas reaches its autoignition temperature at atmospheric pressure.

So gas vapors are always present, and with the right rich/lean mixture and a spark arcing from plug cap, static arcing, etc. Flame on!!

How about header temps? Anyone know if they reach the magic number?
The cats down below will reach that temp.

[...]

The cats down below will reach that temp.
When the motor's shut off? (assuming one is not a complete dumbass and doesn't refuel a running bike)

It was shut off!!!!!C.R. (Is that better? I just wanted all to know)

No Howie -- it was just very embarrassing to even have to post this but I wanted to warn others. I already got Scooter mad at me; I don't need more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take it easy, big guy...was NOT referring to you.

I was following up on the "can a hot bike ignite gasoline" portion of the discussion and responding to JoshHefnerX's reply about hot cats.

Better?

Now, pry that exclamation mark key off your keyboard and clean it. It's obviously sticking. :)

Take it easy, big guy...was NOT referring to you.
I was following up on the "can a hot bike ignite gasoline" portion of the discussion and responding to JoshHefnerX's reply about hot cats.

Better?

Now, pry that exclamation mark key off your keyboard and clean it. It's obviously sticking. :)

fixed it.

You guys made me paranoid... so I've started carrying the suit pictured below, and put it on before I fill up.

firesuit.jpg

When I filled up yesterday that is exactly the suit I wished I had. I have been gasing bikes for forty years and never had this happen. I don't think I ever used the auto shut-off before but this new pump and bike made it look like the best way to go. In Calif. the newst hoses have the short (3") recovery ring that does not (can not) have to be pulled back. The nozzle had no side pressure so it seemed fine. At least a gallon of $3 plus gas poured all over everything and yes that was scary. Still trying to figure how to do it with no worries. YOU CAN'T SEE IN THERE!

This Sunday Morning I decided to take a ride on my new FJR-A. Since my gas gauge had been flashing for some time I went to get my third tank of gas in the three days that I have been able to ride my new Blue Star. I pulled into the SAME pump (Union 76 station) that I had used yesterday to fill up. Just as I had yesterday; I put the nozzle in letting the recovery ring sit on the aluminum ring on the tank and locked the auto fill/auto off handle in the lowest volume setting. I was watching to see how much gas it would take when I heard SPLASHING and the sound of LIQUID flowing on the cement. I turned back to the task at hand to see my new FJR being totally bathed in gas -- freely flowing out of my tank, all over the motor, plastic and seat. I released the auto lever as quick as I could and looked for water to dilute the gas. There was none; so I grabbed the windshield washer thingie and put as much water on my baby as I could.
Luckily I had only driven from my house, about a quarter of a mile, so the motor was not very hot. I hate to think what would of happened if I had gassed after my 100 mile morning ride. Gas went everywhere. My Alpine Stars (with the non-skid rubber sole) slid for about three feet as I jumped back then forward to shut off the nozzle. It seems they are non-skid unless they are standing in 1/4 inch of gasoline.

I told the attendant and all he was concerned with was the gas all over his island. I rolled the bike out of the puddle knowing the tires were going to be very slick after their bath. I sloughed windshield water on as much as I could and held my breath and refired her up. (I let it sit for a while before this). It didn't catch on fire and me and my insurance company are glad of that. I wet the seat and it appears to be O.K.

So if you use the auto fill/auto stop feature of the gas pumps, be aware they do fail (even if they worked the day prior). I don't know what will happen with a "HOT" engine but it was a big scary mess with a cold one. The attendant did not even act like he was going to check out the pump; which bothers me. I will have to find a different station and darn they have gas for a nickle less than others.

I am not sure how I will handle gassing in the future as you can barely see the gas as it fills. If anyone has an idea let me know. C.R.
I dont' trust any auto fill gas pump.... since they use pressure as a sensor, sometime they simply dont' work on bikes... I've even had problems filling my Jeep...sometimes it overflows, others it keeps cutting off...

I'm suprised when I still see an auto cuttoff on a gas pump...

Oh yeah.... did manage to wash my bike with gas a few times...<BG>

Mary

Didn't the governor wreck recently?

Anyway I find listening as the tank fills will tell when you're getting close to the filler neck. Then slow it down and watch it until full.

Latest posts