Bar risers or no?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If not, do you have to change your posture?

• Yes

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 42.0%

• Total voters

Salish1300

Reaction score
As a new FJR owner I am continuing to consider the farkles that will make my ride safer or more enjoyable. I've done various things already, including mirror extenders, frame sliders, and canyon cages for the side cases. The persistent question remaining is whether I want to do bar risers.

I realize this is a perennial topic, but my interests are not in what type to use or how to install them. I've read many threads here on risers and if you start a thread on risers the people that chime in typically have risers
rolleyes.gif

I'm interested in what % of FJR riders out there actually use riders? And if so, how tall they are?

I am finding that if my riding form is lazy, I put too much pressure on my hands and that's not great. But if I remember to do my Master Yoda riding style and use my leg and torso muscles to hold myself up, then I am quite comfortable with the standard bar position, which I have already moved to it's forward most position.

If I knew how to do a poll, I would do it on this. Simply do you use them or not. I've not been able to find that thread anywhere. And do people who do not use them find that it requires them to be correct in their posture, and like it that way?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the MV Motorad Plate ... ABout 1 inch up and 1 inch back from what I recall ... Definitely helped me ...

I added a poll for you. Took about 60 seconds. Feel free to edit if you like.

I also see hundreds of threads with many that talk about whether people use them or not by searching on "Risers" as part of the subject. Simply takes time and inclination to read through them.

I'm 5'10" with a 30-31" inseam.....

Motorrad Risers

Laam Seat

Canyon Cages with highway pegs.

Grip Puppies

All 4 of those things combined are a must for me to get LD riding comfort for a perfect riding position....

I had the plain highway peg brackets on the 05, and the position they put my legs in was ok, but the new spot on the canyon cages highway pegs is far better for me....

*edit* i can't vote yes without answering both questions.....

I voted yes top and no bottom FWIW

MCL risers first, now Helibar. Google can give you the dimensions, it was the up and back changes that worked for me. (Grip puppies too) RDL seat came after, it was the cherry on the sundae. Only drawback is my tank bag can now honk the horn on full lock. Had to install a horn defeat button for parking lot maneuvers. (6' with 32" inseam)

-Steve

No risers for me. Before my FJR I was riding a small cruiser, so I had a lot of adjusting and getting my muscles used to the very different riding position of the FJR. I guess I adjusted to the machine rather than adjusting the machine to me.

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. The bike is perfect for me, without risers. Unless I just don't know what I'm missing. Risers are gonna depend on your size and comfort. I noticed Warpdrv is only one inch taller than me, but has a shorter inseam, which makes his body taller. His taller body is probably why he prefers risers.

Thanks Ignacio. And I should have said that I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam.
Me too.

Never felt the need for risers. Do have bars in the most rearward position.

Some folks like to sit straighter than others. Personal preference.

Riser install imminent. I'd like to have my elbows bent a little more, and hope the risers provide that extra 'closeness' required.

Won't be for a few weeks, but I'll happily share my impressions.

I did not need risers until I had Seth Laam build my seat. Once the custom seat was done I had to sit in "the pocket". Many folks who have a custom seat built then find themselves needing risers where before they did not. This is because the seat moves them backward and often upward as well.

For me it was just a matter of fine tuning the bike to make it better for me. For Pop it was not a big deal as long as we were riding locally but after several days on the road the forward lean began to wear on him. The risers made it easier for him and took one more fatigue factor out of the way.

I also found it impossible to Vote unless I answered both questions, a bit unnecessary I think.

I have risers. Bought the Gen Mar knock offs from EBay. I'm 5'8" and change with a 30" inseam. Laam seat, Cal Sci medium windscreen. I rode my '07 for several months without these mods but when wife and I decided to try our first LD rally, Mason Dixon 20-20 and covered about 1100 miles in 30 hours, some of the bikes shortcomings became apparent. Risers and heavier bar end weights helped get some upper body weight off of my wrists and alleviated some tingling issues in my hands after long hours.Laam seat has done wonders for my posterior.

Prior to doing a rally of this type I'd ridden several hundred miles on a weekend without issue. My desire to increase mileage and saddle time made these changes a necessity. Now I don't think I could do without them.

I am finding that if my riding form is lazy, I put too much pressure on my hands and that's not great. But if I remember to do my Master Yoda riding style and use my leg and torso muscles to hold myself up, then I am quite comfortable with the standard bar position, which I have already moved to it's forward most position.
5'11" (and shrinking), 32"

Hoping this is not too off topic but I think it sort of ties into your comment about riding position and muscles. I've never owned a cruiser so the little forward lean on the FJR felt natural to me and I've kept it that way. That said, and combining that with not having the enjoyment of year-round riding, I have come to expect not being as comfortable with my posture when the riding season starts up each year. I've found it'll usually take several weeks and a few long rides before I feel good in the seat again. Come the end of the season I feel like I could sit on the thing all day and not think twice about how my body feels. I'm guessing that has to do with not using certain core muscles during the off-season and having to get the riding-specific ones back in order, whatever those may be. I would imagine a small program of core exercises would help here including, as my good friend and chiropractor emphasized, back strengthening ones also as the torso and back should work together to keep you upright.

That's a wordy way of suggesting that if you don't ride year-round, maybe get some seat-time in before making changes to the bike early in the season. Then again, if you do ride regularly all year -- never mind.
whistle.gif

After the first ride on my FJR (coming from a 2010 Kawasaki Voyager) every muscle in my upper body ached.

Hands, arms, shoulders, back. It was a big transition from a cruiser.

I am hoping some modifications over the winter are going to help.

I'm 5' 10". 32" inseam. The FJR is perfect for me without the risers. At the beginning, my hands went horribly numb. I put the bars to the aft most position and adopted the Master Yoda style. It's been heaven ever since. Back straight and elbows at 90 degrees with no weight on them at all. Once you get used to that, there no turning back.

I did not need risers until I had Seth Laam build my seat. Once the custom seat was done I had to sit in "the pocket". Many folks who have a custom seat built then find themselves needing risers where before they did not. This is because the seat moves them backward and often upward as well.
I'll be interested to see if this holds true for me after I get my Laam seat in May. Right now, with the stock seat, I don't need them.

5'8" 29" inseam, Laam seat shaved down as much as can be. Just put on MV risers and love 'em. took care of that last little bit of forward lean I had.

Would do them again in a heartbeat

I tried risers and it made the comfort worse. After some experimentation it became apparent that what I needed to do is change the angle so the bars were rotated towards me by a few degrees. I had to modify the upper triple clamp to be able to do this but for me it was night and day. Extremely comfortable right now (13,500 miles so far).

Dan

5' 8"

31" inseam

No risers, bars in rear most position

Stock seat in high position.

Works well for me. 800 mile days are no problem.

I had a BMW R1200 RT in 2006. I tried risers on it and hated them. Went back to the stock position and all was OK.