Barely used FJR-A with about 2k miles... what should I look for?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am totally appreciative of ibleedgreen trying to help me... the 'thank you' was indeed meant in earnest and not as an 'autoreply' :)

I just found out from a Yamaha dealer about this particular one (from the VIN)... all the recalls and TSBs have been done to the bike and single owner checks out as well as the title.

Only thing is if it has been in a bad accident... and repaired so the extent it is not apparent in high res photos...

any suggestions? Oh yes, it just went out of warranty in Sept 09 and so no ... ineligible for the YES warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am totally appreciative of ibleedgreen trying to help me... the 'thank you' was indeed meant in earnest and not as an 'autoreply' :)
I just found out from a Yamaha dealer about this particular one (from the VIN)... all the recalls and TSBs have been done to the bike and single owner checks out as well as the title.

Only thing is if it has been in a bad accident... and repaired so the extent it is not apparent in high res photos...

any suggestions? Oh yes, it just went out of warranty in Sept 09 and so no ... ineligible for the YES warranty.
Hard to tell without seeing it in person on repairs made if any. And most would not notice if the repairs were done well anyways. I would get as many high res pics as you can before making the journey.

As for the warranty, I think factory warranties are a waste in most cases anyways.

any suggestions?
Unfortunately, the only way you can really get an idea of whether or not it's been repaired is to look at it in person..

If you set the bike up on it's center stand, take a step back and look at the bike overall. Sometimes you can see that something just isn't right with bike.

Also, you can look underneath fairings at various spots and see if there's any missing fasteners. Or, panels that don't line up correctly. Open the little glove box and see if it's mounted solidly. Basically, put your hands on everything and see if it's tight and normal.

Perhaps if you know someone who's close to that dealership who could take a look at for you?

any suggestions?
Unfortunately, the only way you can really get an idea of whether or not it's been repaired is to look at it in person..

If you set the bike up on it's center stand, take a step back and look at the bike overall. Sometimes you can see that something just isn't right with bike.

Also, you can look underneath fairings at various spots and see if there's any missing fasteners. Or, panels that don't line up correctly. Open the little glove box and see if it's mounted solidly. Basically, put your hands on everything and see if it's tight and normal.

Perhaps if you know someone who's close to that dealership who could take a look at for you?
Thats a great suggestion! Thank you!!

They are in Sycamore, IL... anyone reading this thread and who is close to that area??! :rolleyes:

If you stand squarely facing the rear of the bike you will see that the muffler locations are not symmetrical -- this is normal :)

Change the oil & filter, check tires and go,go,go just watch out for those guy's in blue, the fjr is pretty fast

Its here...!!! :)

It appears that I was more worried than it was necessary - whew!! feels good to say that instead of 'I should have been more careful as you all had cautioned me'!!

Bought the bike and it is absolutely worderful and not a single scratch or blemish anywhere - mechanical or otherwise...

I have a new post with pictures > Link <

It appears that I was more worried than it was necessary - whew!! feels good to say that instead of 'I should have been more careful as you all had cautioned me'!!Bought the bike and it is absolutely worderful and not a single scratch or blemish anywhere - mechanical or otherwise...

I have a new post with pictures > Link <

What have you DONE???!!! Obviously not enough time spent inspecting the bike before you picked it up. I noticed right off...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--

It's black instead of the proper blue color...

Gotta admit, it's still purty.