Battery Terminal Bolts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
My battery connections get slightly loose over time.

Since I don't have wrench access to the rectangular nut down below, all the tightening torque is absorbed by the flimsy sheet metal battery terminal.

I'd like to have bolts which I could wrench on both ends, protecting the terminal from the torque.

If the terminal was slotted a bolt could be inserted from the side with the nut on top.

I believe the battery designers could develop a better terminal design which would allow for higher clamping force without damaging the sheet metal terminals.

You sir....sometimes make me want to create a new thread forum category: Eye-Roll Chuckle Shake-Your-Head Too-Much-Free-Time-On-Your-Hands Thread

You really should start your own motorcycle company and market your perfect FJR replacement with revised terminals, oil cooler, easy-to-check tire pressure, etc.
rolleyes.gif
no.gif
laugh.gif

P.S. I've never had my "flimsy" terminals loosen up over time on three different FJRs. I simply torque them down to the proper amount and they stay tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never had mine loosen but have always thought the nut was to thin and the bolt was too short for adding much in the way of extra electrical farkles. So I made an aluminum nut that takes up the whole space and got a longer bolt.

If you don't like something get creative. :)

Let me save you some grief. Take your battree terminals off. Check under them, the little rubber wire and terminal insulators are rather large and get wedged underneath in between the terminal and the post, hence they come loose again. Cut those bad boys back on the bottom. They'll never come loose again.

BTW - It was my positive terminal with the issue.

I tried looking for my old post on this, has pix etc., probably about 8 years old, I couldn't find anything over a couple years. Tried Site:FJRForum.com etc. no luck. Sorry.

Thanks Ionbeam. I finally found it too but you beat me to it.
smile.png

That was a pain to find for me I had to use all sorts of different words and I finally got a good hit.

Last edited by a moderator: