Beartooth 2010 - 4 Days of fun!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone!

I have a Nikon D5000 DSLR, it's pretty much a entry-mid level DSLR camera, nothing special.

And yes, I do some post processing in PhotoShop.

Still Day 2 (July 6th, 2010)

Yes, it is snowing!

DSC_3712b.jpg

Fresh snow on top of old snow. Starting the descent into Red Lodge.

DSC_3722b.jpg

A crazy mixture of weather.

DSC_3729b.jpg

On the descent.

DSC_3731b.jpg

Nice new road.

DSC_3735b.jpg

Getting lower, getting warmer.

DSC_3778b.jpg

Yes, the road is dry.

DSC_3792b.jpg

Picking up the pace.

DSC_3801b.jpg

Wow, what a road!

DSC_3805b.jpg

Descending into Red Lodge, MT (raindrop smudge on camera lense)

DSC_3817b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 3 (July 7th, 2010) 329 Miles

After breakfast, Red Lodge, MT - Looking to be a nice day for a ride.

DSC_3207b.jpg

Heading south back over the Beartooth.

DSC_3216b.jpg

Retro!

DSC_3218b.jpg

What a beautiful day, on our way back up.

DSC_3223b.jpg

Mr "Hi-Vis" on my six.

DSC_3224b.jpg

Rest area, lots of bikes. I didn't see one other FJR the entire trip. Saw lots of cruiser's/Harley's, a handful of Honda ST's quite a few KLR's, V-Strom's and BMW's.

DSC_3233b.jpg

View from the rest area, coming from Red Lodge.

DSC_3242b.jpg

More to come.

Awesome report and pics. Thanks. They bring back some precious memories. I did Beartooth on consecutive days last September. it looks and feels quite a bit different going the opposite direction at a different time of day. Good enough excuse for me to do it twice anyway. Glad to see there is new pavement. Last September I rode over many miles of dirt road there.

For those thinking of heading that way and have the time: Between the SW end of Beartooth highway and Cooke City is the north end of the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway. Its 47 miles long and heads toward Cody, WY. It it a spectacular road for motorcycle enjoyment as well as scenery.

Awesome report and pics. Thanks. They bring back some precious memories. I did Beartooth on consecutive days last September. it looks and feels quite a bit different going the opposite direction at a different time of day. Good enough excuse for me to do it twice anyway. Glad to see there is new pavement. Last September I rode over many miles of dirt road there.
For those thinking of heading that way and have the time: Between the SW end of Beartooth highway and Cooke City is the north end of the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway. Its 47 miles long and heads toward Cody, WY. It it a spectacular road for motorcycle enjoyment as well as scenery.
gunny :yahoo:

gunny :yahoo:
Gunny squared! B)

Thanks for posting. Brings back memories. When we went to Yellowstone in 2003, we passed through Beartooth Hway because it was rated the most scenic drive in U.S.

Well, that seems to have worked out pretty well, even with all of that white stuff. Hopefully, the Going to the Sun portion will prove worthwhile, too. Great photos,BTW. I was thinking about getting an Olympus PEN camera but maybe a DSLR is still the way to go. Or, maybe it's just good photoshopping. How you cut and pasted in those mountains I'll never know.

Saint Mary's Lake Campground (eastern side of Glacier National Park) the afternoon before riding the Going to the Sun Highway, after NAFO 2008. If you do ride GTTS, if you have time, and if you think of it, please give an appropriate salute!

17GlacierNPCamping.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic pictures, I felt like I was there. Thanks for sharing.

Mac

Well, that seems to have worked out pretty well, even with all of that white stuff. Hopefully, the Going to the Sun portion will prove worthwhile, too. Great photos,BTW. I was thinking about getting an Olympus PEN camera but maybe a DSLR is still the way to go. Or, maybe it's just good photoshopping. How you cut and pasted in those mountains I'll never know.

Saint Mary's Lake Campground (eastern side of Glacier National Park) the afternoon before riding the Going to the Sun Highway, after NAFO 2008. If you do ride GTTS, if you have time, and if you think of it, please give an appropriate salute!
Sounds good.

Before I had a DSLR camera I had a digital point-and-shoot that took great pictures while riding. I just use the DSLR so I don't lug around 3 cameras (the other is video) and while riding I have it in "auto" mode anyway, all pictures I take other than while riding are in full manual mode, it's nice to have that kind of control.

And yes, it's some photoshopping. If anyone cares to know I'm more than willing to share my "secrets". :)

Day 3 - Cont.

Pretty much the same picture(s) Tyler took on her trip. (Which were awesome btw)

DSC_3248b.jpg

Wish I were there now!

DSC_3252b.jpg

The Duc pilot.

DSC_3256b.jpg

1 in 10 turn out ok, 1 in 100 are really good, I give this a 1 in 20.

DSC_3276b.jpg

On the way back up, heading away from Red Lodge.

DSC_3283b.jpg

Another over-the-shoulder snap.

DSC_3286b.jpg

Check out the ski tracks.

DSC_3308b.jpg

Almost to the top.

DSC_3314b.jpg

"Fiji" posing for the camera.

DSC_3327b.jpg

Blue sky, big sky.

DSC_3311b.jpg

"Poser"

DSC_3392b.jpg

Not a lot of "riding" shots of the "Chief Joseph" I was having too fun.

DSC_3395b.jpg

Scenic Stop

DSC_3398b.jpg

Ain't she purdy!

DSC_3404b.jpg

Yellowstone Lake.

DSC_3444b.jpg

Yellowstone

DSC_3448b.jpg

Yellowstone Falls

DSC_3457b.jpg

Traffic Jams

DSC_3471b.jpg

Back to Jackson, The "Grand Teton" in the background (I stood on the tippy-top in 2007).

DSC_3481b.jpg

Day 3 was a long day.