Beowulf Radiator Guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR_Nebr

Reaction score
In the processing of installing a Beowulf radiator guard on my '09 ABS. Embarrassing question, but do I remove the stock guard before installing the 'wulf or does it install on top of the stock guard?

I'm not aware of there being a stock guard. You sure it doesn't have an aftermarket one?

Last edited by a moderator:
[Guess]

It is a used FJR and the previous owner installed a guard. The new owner, being pro active bought a guard not expecting one to be already there.

[/Guess]

Bikes on this side of the pond come with a plastic guard already installed. Most people remove the plastic guard because the gaps between the grilles are too wide and don't offer adequate protection. The stainless Beowulf guard is a significant improvement.

Don

[Guess]

It is a used FJR and the previous owner installed a guard. The new owner, being pro active bought a guard not expecting one to be already there.

[/Guess]
Replacing stock plastic guard, which has very widely-spaced mesh, with stainless guard with finer mesh. More gravel road miles on my riding routes than I'd like ...

A stock guard, such as it is .....

BTW, it became obvious as I got into it that the Beowulf guard REPLACES the stock guard.

G.

I'm not aware of there being a stock guard. You sure it doesn't have an aftermarket one?
It's a "GEN II" thing, standard from '06.(Click on image for larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:
In the processing of installing a Beowulf radiator guard on my '09 ABS. Embarrassing question, but do I remove the stock guard before installing the 'wulf or does it install on top of the stock guard?
The plastic radiator guard on the Gen II's is removed by taking out two 10mm screws hiding directly behind the horns. There are engagement tabs on the bottom. After the removing the screws the factory guard easily comes out. That is it. The screws are hidden so it is not obvious until you look at a parts manual on line under radiator hose.

I did this today when I installed a Cox guard obtained from Bike Effects. When you order don't forget to get the FJR Forum discount.

Gen I owners don't have factory radiator guards. Clearly this explains why you find one on the road-side occasionally wishing they had at least the basic factory plastic guard install on all Gen II's. :yahoo: