Best Bluetooth Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bababang

Reaction score
OK

So I bought the new Oneil Fastrack II helmet with bluetooth. It's OK, I can hear a caller at about 70 MPH, but it has very little bass in the speaker system. When I listen to MP3's its like listening through a tin can, its very weak in bass. I'm hoping there is something better out there and somebody has found a better product. The fasttrack II can be purchaed for 250.oo at Motorcycle Superstore

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/40568/ITEM/ONeal-Racing-Fastrack-II-Bluetooth-Helmet.aspx

Most helmet speakers are unable to produce hi fidelity sound due to the distance they are from your ears. The low frequency sound is just lost. In-ear monitors will make the sound pretty good if you can figure out how to convert the speaker connections into a 3.5 mm jack for the in-ear speakers. Otherwise, getting the speakers very close to your ears will help, but we're talking headphone close, and that is hard to do comfortably in a helmet. I didn't check your link, but is the helmet A2DP stereo compatible, and are you using a stereo source? If the BT system and source is not A2DP, there are limits to the fidelity you can expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a really good review of helmets,and any gear in general go to webbikeworld. That is a terrific source of information on stuff. They give great comparisons and honest shortcomings of each product. It helped me decide on my latest helmet. The glove reviews are interesting too. Cheers. T.

Not sure about the A2DP compatibility, there was nothing in the specs that came with the helmet, not sure what A2DP stands for? I do have access to the 3.5mm jack and maybe could rig an earbud to it. I'm uncertain about how the wires to the ears would be stowed when wearing the helmet since the wires would be coming from inside the helmet to the ears. The system is not bad, Its very possible my expectations are too high.

Thanks for your advice.

We went with the Sena SMH10 setup in our new Schuberth C3 helmets. Skip the Schuberth unit, it's WAY too expensive.

My wife is happy with the in-helmet speakers. I've used custom-molded earbud speakers for years for the very best sound and want to continue to do so. So I had to replace the regular backing plate with the SMH-A0304 backing plate (detachable mic) that has a plug-in for earbuds.

Sena also makes the SR10 unit to make use of two-way radios and also pipe in GPS and radar-detector sounds into the headset.

If you decide to go the Sena route ping me off-list for a vendor with special pricing.

I would think Sena or Scala G4 will have an OK bass response. Scala Q2, not. Have the G4 now and it's a vast improvement. I use it for compatability with other riders I hang with. Wouldnt mind hearing a comparision to the Sena..'. hard to find anyone who has both.

Sena has the ear-bud option that I use. Using the ear buds out of any unit is gonna be pretty easy. I currently use SkullCandy buds. They keep a good amount of noise out, are comfortable, and sound good.

Word is, the Entymotics (sp) are the best bang for the buck with the best noise deprivation, sound, and comfort.

However, if you have already invested in a communication system that will run your music, it will prolly be cheaper to just modify what you have.

FWIW, some have found that they get better sound from helmet speakers by wearing very good ear plugs and turning up the volume on the speakers...Otherwise, the speakers have to overcome the wind roar.

Since you asked, the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) is a Bluetooth profile that allows for the wireless transmission of stereo audio. It is THE profile required to transmission of high fidelity stereo music on a Bluetooth channel. Most aftermarket headsets include it (Midland, Sena, Scala), and a few GPS units include it (Zumo 660/665, Nuvi 765T). It is used by a number of phones and music devices, you just have to read the specs.

The Oneal Fastrack II does have A2DP according to this spec page.

If you wire a 3.5 stereo dongle, you want that to attach outside the helmet, with the socket facing to the rear or down. You will insert the earplugs, then plug them into the outside of the helmet. All the parts are available at Radio Shack for a DIY. Depending on how the speakers plug into the bluetooth module, you may be able to use an off-the-shelf option. This one works with my Midland BT2 and uses a USB to 3.5mm adapter dongle: With this, you can choose to use the speakers or an in-ear monitor, simply by plugging the appropriate output into the BT speaker plug.

21EozYg5BpL._SS400_.jpg

Word is, the Entymotics (sp) are the best bang for the buck with the best noise deprivation, sound, and comfort.
I had a pair of Etymotic ear phones. The noise isolation and sound quality was very good but the fit in my helmet was not comfortable. My Arai Quantum II helmet does not have much space for speakers of any type. Today I have a set of Skullcandy earbuds - the sound is not as good as the Etymontic but they fit much better even in the same helmet. A very good review of sub $100 earbuds clicky clicky.

Placement of the speakers inside the helmet is of the utmost importance. It took me a few tries to get my wife's positioned perfect. They need to be aligned with the ear canal.

I have used the Etymotics for several years. The work great for both sound reproduction and external noise reduction. However, no matter which (foam or baffled vinyl) tips I have used, the helemet's pressing on the earplugs invariably starts to cause pain after about a week or ten days on the road. On even longer trips my ear canals have been bloodied and it hurts to pull the helmet or take it off. I still use 'em, though.

I have used the Etymotics for several years. The work great for both sound reproduction and external noise reduction. However, no matter which (foam or baffled vinyl) tips I have used, the helemet's pressing on the earplugs invariably starts to cause pain after about a week or ten days on the road. On even longer trips my ear canals have been bloodied and it hurts to pull the helmet or take it off. I still use 'em, though.
My Etymotics were about $200. But they are AMAZING in sound quality. You wouldn't think such a tiny speaker can reproduce such details. But I agree with the comfort. Outside a helmet, they are fine, inside they get pressed in too much for me.
I suggest geetting a SENA. It's transferrable helmet to helmet, I just got them before Christmas and they work very well, great battery life, easy to use and sync, and have survived two slight rainy days. And I recently started, and will forever will continue, to ride with earplugs. It blocks the wind and exhaust noise and makes any music or speech be heard much clearer.

Alexi

I have the Nolan N103 helmet and chose to get it without their BT system because the volume was VERY weak. At max, it was barely adequate while wearing the helmet in the convention center at a bike show. Obviously it would not be enough volume while riding down the road.

I went with the Sena from forum member Cougar 8000 and have been extremely happy. Even with standard EAR brand plugs inserted, I can hear the Sena speakers over the wind noise in my helmet (I believe all flip-up helmets are noisier than my old Shoei used to be). My Droid 3 automatically syncs with my Zumo 660 and the Zumo automatically syncs with the Sena unit. When my wife is riding, the 2 Sena units automatically sync up also.

Not using earbuds does limit the quality of the audio, but I'm just not willing to deal with the hassle and potential ear pain of using them at this time.

My Etymotics were about $200. But they are AMAZING in sound quality. You wouldn't think such a tiny speaker can reproduce such details. But I agree with the comfort. Outside a helmet, they are fine, inside they get pressed in too much for me.
I suggest geetting a SENA. It's transferrable helmet to helmet, I just got them before Christmas and they work very well, great battery life, easy to use and sync, and have survived two slight rainy days. And I recently started, and will forever will continue, to ride with earplugs. It blocks the wind and exhaust noise and makes any music or speech be heard much clearer.

Alexi
The helmet is the key here. With my Shoei X-11 which is a very snug fitting helmet with small ear pockets the Etymotics start causing pain after a few hours from the helmet applying pressure the area of the outside of the ear where the earbud speaker is. On my HJC helmets which have big ear pockets, I can wear the Etymotics for days with no issues. For pretty much 11 days of straight use during the Iron Butt Rally, I learned to use the 'S-Plug' earbud speakers as they are smaller and softer than the Etymotics but pricier at $150.

Something else that I have recently figured out (through trial and error) is that when you have the in-helmet speakers perfectly positioned, center of the driver is aligned with the ear canal and the speaker face is touching your outer ear, you will get the best bass response from the speakers then, but you'll also get the bass from the helmet as any wind buffets your head. Especially if you open (even a crack) your face-shield, the vibrations that the shield receives are transferred directly to your poor ears.

I've recently opted to back the speakers off as much as possible so there is no direct contact to eliminate that mechanical vibration noise transfer and just suffer with non-audiophile quality bass. What the hell... With all of the other noises going on it's not exactly like a sound studio anyway... ;)