Best fuel mileage EVER!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did Lake Almanor to Arcata on Hwy 36, and return on Hwy299. Worst mileage was 44mpg, best mileage was 56mpg. Cool. :yahoo:

My commuting mileage to work is steady at 40mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I don't see how someone can get such high mileage?! Before I installed the PC-III, I could see low 40's but that's the best I've ever seen. Since installing the PC-III, mileage has gone down as low as mid 30's depending on which map I'm running. Running the stock map I get around 37mpg in mixed city/highway riding.

BTW, anyone with a PC-III installed needs to ignore the bike's computer because it'll be way off. The bike computer only knows what it's internal map shows as fuel usage. The PC-III adds fuel that the bike computer doesn't know about, so you can completely ignore the avg mpg reading on the bike because it has no basis in reality. You'll need to manually calculate fuel mileage by filling the tank each time and dividing gallons filled into miles traveled since the last fillup.

Several riders commented about increased mileage at altitude...how does that work? It kinda sounds like the fuel mix is richer at lower altitudes and is a more efficient mix at higher altitudes...not sure I understand that one. Unless a TB Synch at a higher altitude makes it so, wouldn't even the stock ECU be able to adjust to compensate for altitude?

I've noticed it too is the thing, I just wrote it off to practicing my "cruiser" pace in preparation for this tour...

I can get over 50 mpg on a good day on the FJR but I don't weigh anything (even wet with change in my pocket). All you have to do is ride with a guy with a Honda Shadow. You can be smooth on the throttle.

I can see how commuting on the FJR would decrease the mpg's.

On spirited rides (spirited for me), I get low to mid 40's.

I am laughing out loud because I bought a Prius to commute in. It is like a low powered FJR that doesn't handle as well, but it has a roof, 9 speakers (I believe), heat and A/C. And you don't have to wear a helmet. My best tank of gas averaged 67 mpg. My best commute (anywhere from 86 to 108 miles) was 73.7 mpg. I drive to different construction job sites and my company pays me 48.5 cents per mile.

If the Prius got 40 mpg, I would be bitching and complaining. If someone gets 40 mpg on the FJR, I would say that they probably had a GREAT time. I can only imagine.

Art

My MPG is simalar to above. 30ish around town and high 40ish on the road. Being the incredibly cheap bastard I am. When I get bored I see how high I can get the MPG I've hit high 50 (58 or so), but then I get bored with that game and twist the wrist and destroy that mpg. I haven't been able to get above 60 yet, but I'm working on it. (I don't include that going down hill with the wind to my back and hitting the reset and watching it go to 99mpg) that's fun for a few seconds!

Wetdog

Chuck

www.manzway.com

I've only had the bike a week and am at just about 450 miles,

but even with my gentle break-in riding my best is mpg is 38.

I've only had the bike a week and am at just about 450 miles, but even with my gentle break-in riding my best is mpg is 38.
Give it some time. New bike, everything is tight. It'll loosen itself up over time. Absolutely expected.

I've gotten 50 mpg at higher elevations in Colorado. Usually around 42 to 45 on the road though.

GP

I can't trust the bikes MPG read out. On a cruiser led ride on Friday the computer said 50.5, but at the gas station, the calculator said 45. Stock bike, no PC

Last edited by a moderator:
Several riders commented about increased mileage at altitude...how does that work? It kinda sounds like the fuel mix is richer at lower altitudes and is a more efficient mix at higher altitudes...not sure I understand that one. Unless a TB Synch at a higher altitude makes it so, wouldn't even the stock ECU be able to adjust to compensate for altitude?
I've noticed it too is the thing, I just wrote it off to practicing my "cruiser" pace in preparation for this tour...
Pretty simple explanation. Most of the work of moving a motorcycle down the road is pushing it through the air (tire and bearing friction being the remaining work load). The air is thinner at higher altittudes, hence it takes less work to push the motorcycle through the air. Less work means less fuel needs to be burned to generate the energy required to maintain a given speed, hence better fuel mileage.