Bi-Focal Face Shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on topic... I too was having trouble reading the map on the tank bag even as just a quick reference. I bought the Zumo and have it mounted at the perfect distance. Right now I can still read that fine.

I had hoped the lenses were stamped from a strip and it would be easy to get 4 or 5 inches of it.

Today I got a reply from Jeff at Optx and they are individually molded, so a strip is no easy task.

Maybe they will see a market for them but it doesn't look very promising atm....

The Shoie Qwest helmet has channels for glasses. Mine go on without any issues and don't hurt my ears after a long ride.

I think I mentioned using those Optix lenses a few years ago, ;) but my concern was over putting them on the visor (instead of my sunglasses ) as they'd be out in more direct sunlight.

As these are basically magnifying lenses, I remembered how I cooked ants with one when I was a kid. The idea of Burnt skin or torched retinas had me remove the things and put them on my sunglasses instead.

Another option if you dare then is to buy a PVC Fresnal Lens and cut it to the size you want...like a narrow strip. I've seen big ones on van windows so I guess they would stick the same way as the Optix ones. Edmund Scientific still sells them too:

https://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/optical-lenses/fresnel-lenses/fresnel-lenses/2040

Again, I'd be careful on a sunny day.... Z

You could always buy prescription Oakleys. Bottle caps and FlackJackets have flat temple arms. They are crazy comfortable. I absolutely love my Oakleys. They're the only sunglasses/safety glasses I have worn for 12 years

You could always buy prescription Oakleys. Bottle caps and FlackJackets have flat temple arms. They are crazy comfortable. I absolutely love my Oakleys. They're the only sunglasses/safety glasses I have worn for 12 years
Sounds Great! Got a Link?
coolsmiley02.gif

Um...Oakley.com.

If you are Military, Law Enforcement, Fire, or any other type of public servant, I have an even better website that cuts smoking deals. PM me if you think you qualify. Retired may count...

Better to get old than not get there at all.

Dad wears prescription Maui Jim sunglasses, the polarization is necessary because of his fishing. He had issues with his clear regular glasses on overcast days. While I was researching along these lines he took a Killboy picture of himself riding the FJR on the Dragon's Tail to his eye doctor and explained to her his issues. Armed with that she was able to fit him with glasses that wrapped around the sides a little more and also adjusted the progression of the bi-focal so that he could see his instruments and the road. He sees well enough now that I quit researching.

Dad suggested looking into the "cheater" lenses that attach to the inside of a welding hood lens. I had not thought of that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my prescription Serengetti's except the progressive bifocal part is a bit smaller than I'd like. The driving lenses provide amazing contrast for a wide variety of weather conditions. They're real glass lenses, so don't drop them on a sidewalk.

There are bifocal safety glasses available from various sources, various tints... start at Home Depot.

About 10 years ago I broke down and went to the doc and bought a perscription set of progressive motorcycle sunglasses. They were very expensive but worth every penny. The rubber padding around the eyepieces is starting to deteriorate a little but other then that they are a perfect solution to my problem.

I've been making and selling glasses for 35 years and have come to this simple truth. There are four ways to deal with the fading near vision. 1. Progressive lenses. 2. Bifocal lenses. 3. multiple pairs of glasses for each need. 4. A white cane and a service dog.
coolsmiley02.gif
They all work, just differently. And if it works for you. JSNS.

But in the eye industry, it is a common assumption that only the slower of the species can't wear progressive lenses.
tonguesmiley.gif

I use progressives which work pretty well for me. The dispensing opticians tend to place the transition point too high for me. I make them move it down as far as possible. The full near correction is too much to see the instruments clearly, this put them in a "mid" zone. When dirt biking I often will wear single correction lenses and carry cheaters, no instruments to read on the trail. Pushin' hard on 60, age do present its challenges.