Big Day Tomorrw

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl_1300

Reaction score
I have had the itch for a FJR for over two years now. I have been riding a 1800 wing since 02 and a Valk two years before that, so I'm looking forward to something with a little more zip and less weight. The problem is I also have a hot spot for the new Concours 14.

Well my dealer called tonight and said he would have a C14 and a 07 FJR and a 08 FJR all ready for me to test ride and drool over tomorrow.

I'm looking for advice from those that have experience with both the FJR and the C14 or with the wing and either of the super sports.

Thanks

.... The problem is I also have a hot spot for the new Concours 14.

And from what I have heard, the Kaw has a big "hot spot" for you. I rode one, the engine is smooth as hell, but the other ammenities just did not tickle my fancy..(it was too cold out to notice if my fancy was also getting cooked)

The bike felt heavier than the FJR..but if you are used to a GW it may not be a problem.

I think my take on it them is this...The C-14 is a new bike, and not proven yet. The FJR has been around awhile, and the major complaints/issues have been fixed. The 08 is the result of those improvements, as the Kaw has not been on the road that long enough for owner feedback to effect any changes.

But, it is still what your heart tells you.............

KM

Make sure to ask him about the cost and hassel for maintenance on the C14. You may want to look at all those issues beforehand, hint hint.

As for the FJR maintenance, check out this forum for virtually and exactly everything known on FJR, with FJR, for FJR, for people with FJR's and plenty of experience over many of the sales people you might encounter.

If you get the FJR then book your room for Colorado this summer!

I don't envy your delema. I was in the same boat last year when the 14 became available, I went in ready to pull the trigger and there were some problems I couldn't reconcile. First the darn tail is so high that even with a 33" inseam I kept kicking the hard bags so I decided to read everything written compairing the 14 and the FJR starting with MCN's head to head between the 14 and the 07 FJR. The 14 got its but kicked and that is basically what I found on the 6 or so mags that I found comparisons in. The only one that went for the 14 was a Euro rag but their criteria did not match mine and they were not as nearly analitical as MCN. So since MCN noted there were a bunch of changes for 08 I went to the International show. Well I was great to go back an forth but the reps there knew less than I did about the changes (about 8 in all over the 2007 model). It turned out that all of the changes were ones I wanted as I had the honor of breaking an FJR in in 2004 cause a buddy who bought one broke his foot and wanted it ready to travel when he recovered. The heat issue was the bigest one for me and they fixed that in 06 but there were some other problems like the tranny, windshield, bars etc but they fixed all those. So I went for the 08 FJR but it was a long process of elimination. The Honda and the BMW were also considered but I wanted the slightly more sporty nature of the Connie or the FJR.

Good Luck, and like the other guy said follow your gut.

McG

Wow, this shopping idea is a novel concept. Mine just keep coming home with me when I go to the local dealer for some maintenance items.

Good luck!

Yeah, ride that 08 FJR and you might as well write the check. I never read any comparo, never did any test rides. This has been a want bike for me since I first saw one in '03. Took me 5 yrs to get it and glad I did. Got the one with all the "fixes". I love this bike. It is such a sleeper yet it performs almost as well as my R1 and is much more comfortable.

Be sure to look at all the features to include the bags and how the FJR comes with liners so you don't have to debag everytime you stop at a hotel or whatever. Do a search, there is a MCN article on here somewhere that does the comparo. Shame they didn't have an 08 to compare with other 08's. But just goes to show you that last yrs FJR was good enough to kick this yrs Sport tourers butts.

Good luck.

AH might as well just say, "welcome to the family". Its dysfunctional but it is ours. :rolleyes:

I just got my 08 A delivered two days ago after riding Hondas for 35+ years, ranging from a Super 90, to my trade in for the FJR, a VTX 1800C. Since I live in eastern Iowa, I haven't had a chance to ride it. This is the first time I have EVER bought a brand new bike without test riding it!! I was researching the FJR, the Connie, and the Honda ST 1300. At first I was biased toward the Honda just because I was a "Honda man". But it seems that Honda has gone stagnant with most of their models. The ST seemed overweight and oversized for it's engine, and had the least carrying capacity due to it's weight. I sat on a new Concours at the dealer, and immediately new it wasn't for me. Too tall, with a too agressive riding position for me. (I'm about 5' 11" with a 30" inseam) The FJR seemed to strike a balance between the other two. Killer motor, less maintainance, looks good with or without bags, etc., etc. If I hate this thing after actually riding it, I will be surprised!

1) How easy to change oil and filter?

2) How often and how expensive to adjust the valves?

(Depending on how many miles per year you intend to ride, it is a maintenance cost to be factored into ownership.)

[SIZE=8pt]Many FJR owners ride mega-miles thus have to do the valve adjustment "dance". 26-28K is pretty decent mileage before valve adjustment is due on the FJR. Even if they have to be checked, there are rumors that the C-14 engine has to be dropped out of its frame to access the head/valve covers. Best to check with the dealer because that would certainly add to the cost and time of that particular maintenance job.[/SIZE]

I own an '07 'Wing and and '08 FJR...

I wanted a bike that complimented the Goldwing, and after riding the C14, RT, ST each for a weekend I came to the conclusion that the FJR best fit the job. Lighter than the bikes I tested, not as much wind protection as an RT or ST, not as hot as a C14 or ST, looks great with the bags off.

If you're after similar features as the wing, some things you might miss are...cruise control, wind protection, self cancelling turn signals, cargo capacity, radio, intercom, passenger comfort...but most can be added without too much trouble.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming that you are still on the fence after weighing all the "emotional" aspects, what about some pragmatism? Ask what extended warranties are available for the Kawi.

Yamaha's YES warranty is excellent and can be bought from other than the selling dealer for cheap (D&H in AL). Yamaha also has a pretty good history for standing behind their bikes in warranty and even some out of warranty problems (see "tickers", altitude fix, etc.) for a few hundred dollars you get 4 years of added full warranty coverage. That's a lot of peace of mind for short money.

I have no experience with Kawasaki warranties, which is why it's worth asking.

Let me get to tha point; Stop dicking around with thinking about the Connie and or the ST1300 cause the FJR is the way to go.

- - - Why would you buy a bike {Connie} that has not been de-bugged?

- - - I test rode the ST1300 2 days ago and don't even think it should be on tha table for consideration.

- - - Other than the heat issue on the GEN 1's YOU would be hard pressed to find anyone that would have ANYTHING negative to say about an FJR1300

- - - Yamaha HAS gotten all of the bugs out of the FJR1300 so stop trying to make the rules and start following the rules....BUY the FJR1300.

I think you live in Oklahoma so why not give D&H a call and see if they have some leftovers. Then catch the Greyhound down there and buy one.

Vinni / Tha Butcher of Naples

Nobody mentioned that the C14 is "Butt Ugly". It's not even silver but some boring grey colour.

I've never seen one with the bags off but expect that it doesn't look any better.

Too "Buck Rogeristic" for me with all the slashes on the bags and the one big pipe.

Just my 2 cents worth

That C14 just doesn't look balanced with the single pipe set up. The windshield is terribly small with little protection and the maintenance schedule for those valves is way too close. That is, if you plan on riding it much. If you ride it as most FJR riders would that should be about 3 to 4 valve adjustments per year.

That C14 just doesn't look balanced with the single pipe set up. The windshield is terribly small with little protection and the maintenance schedule for those valves is way too close. That is, if you plan on riding it much. If you ride it as most FJR riders would that should be about 3 to 4 valve adjustments per year.
3 TO 4 Valve adjustments per year? DAMN!