Bike down, totaled slider, frame damaged, 15 mph

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bramfrank, is that for the FJR? The page will not link back to an order page or other info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better tell that to Yamaha since they sell one for our bikes as well:
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/detail...;item=2150&

Theirs seems to be made of a Delrin-like material.
Good point. But note they call it "roller protector", meaning only tipovers, AND the design is set up differently. While I can't see the whole thing, even in the photo, you can see that the moment is not going to be lateral to the bolt.

-BD

The Pre-06 FJR's with the plate are probably better suited for drops than the redesign and convient install. I was not sold on aluminum as a crash protector and the energy that could be passed on. Galaxy 5 is happy with his in a collision. You pay your dues and take your chances. Everyone knew what they were buying, and what could happen was well discussed. IMHO Skyway has no responsibility for what happened. How about delrin behind the aluminum stepped together for best of both materials? TJ

This is the second 06 I have heard about getting dumped in a corner in the past few weeks, and I gotta wonder if the sensitive throttle and herky/jerky control issues didn't play a role in this accident. It is really easy to snatch the bike and upset the suspension in mid turn due to the new throttle pulley.
Highly, highly unlikely. It's either the s*** happens kind of thing or rider lack of skill/experience. The '06 has no more a sensitive throttle than any other bike out there today.
I'd be interested to explore this issue from the standpoint of riders who've dropped their FJR AND who either formerly rode a significantly lighter motorcycle OR a motorcycle with significantly stickier tires.

throttle jockey: Your reply above leads only to a couple of conclusions

You cant accept responsabilty for your buying decision

And I got the lawyers lined up ready to go

Skyway you are absolved of all wrong doing and excluded from further legal action

Dam those deep pocket laws :angry2:

weekend rider

So of the many lessons I'm processing is to pay attention to that thick white paint in intersections and roundabouts. I keep coming back to this not because i'm looking for absolution, but because i'm hoping that i might save someone elses butt. And save mine the next time i lean a bike over on white paint.
Yeah, best to just train yourself to avoid the stuff all the time. Another one I recently encountered was those little reflective buttons on top of the white paint. Don't meander across them, especially when leaned over. Get a good angle and get over 'em!
And number 8 . . .
"White lines – now this is frustrating. A society that can lob satellites into geo-synchronous orbits in space for all sorts of reasons and produce GPS systems that can tell you where you are – at any time, anywhere on the planet, to a distance of a foot or two – cannot come up with a paint to use for highway markings that does not turn to ice when damp? White lines will throw your bike on the ground with very little provocation when wet – avoid them. In summer, they are warmer, but still slippery!"
BTDT. I had the front wheel wash out from a white arrow in a parking lot while I was executing an otherwise textbook turn. It's hard to look ahead and just in front of the tire at the same time, but necessary, as I found out, thankfully without a lowside. It was close, though, and a real puckering experience. :eek: