Bike down, totaled slider, frame damaged, 15 mph

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the second 06 I have heard about getting dumped in a corner in the past few weeks, and I gotta wonder if the sensitive throttle and herky/jerky control issues didn't play a role in this accident. It is really easy to snatch the bike and upset the suspension in mid turn due to the new throttle pulley.
Highly, highly unlikely. It's either the s*** happens kind of thing or rider lack of skill/experience. The '06 has no more a sensitive throttle than any other bike out there today.

Camera,

I'm really happy & pleased that you're ok & here on the forum telling us about this incident yourself.

Now, about them sliders... I thought about this same thing when they FIRST came out. (absorbing forces w/ metal) No disrespect meant to the developer, either.

When I bought my bike 2 years ago it had R&G crash protection installed. Been down on the R&G. Low speed high side. They did exactly as they were supposed to... they compacted & absorbed a lot of the downward force. My upper was smashed because the bike came down directly on it & the R&G. There was minor damage to the mirror, my lower got a few scratches & of course the saddlebag got pretty mucked up. The R&G was bent back to the body of the bike since I had landed directly on it.

I removed the R&G once I got home (no structural damage to my frame) & put a new one on. My buddy Larry was trying to talk me into just buying a new bolt & putting the slider back on. I refused & spent the $$$ to get a proper new slider & engine bolt. I figured that the bolt itself was probably made out of a certain/specific type of material which is now confirmed.

Go get yourself some new & proper gear... oh, don't forget a new bike, too.

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your crash. It would be interesting to see a photo of how your clothing held up and the damage it sustained if you find time to post one.

Sorry 'bout your booboo, Camera. Glad it's nothing that insurance money won't cure. Hope yours covers your gear as well as your bike.

So what is the consensus at this point? Are Skyway slider's mounting bolts simply too short? Could a longer bolt rectify the situation? Is the mounting location wrong? For those of us who already have Skyway sliders, would it be better to remove them altogether?
I'd say Skyway's aluminum sliders are mostly bling although they'd save some damage in a soft lowside or a tipover. I prefer plastic.

Plastic bobbins will absorb more energy than aluminum, but any sliders are best used as tipover guards. Even the plastic ones will still transmit a lot of energy to the frame in a highside. Crashing an FJR at speed is going to lead to serious damage to the bike. Sliders might mitigate the damage but given the mass of the FJR, the sliders will probably soon be bent out of the way so the asphalt can do its best on the rest of the bike.

My advice: install sliders for protection in case of a tipover and avoid crashing the FJR.

Ok fellas, it's time to vote
Here's the situation

Left side mirror mount bent

Engine cover scraped up

Handle bar bent

Exhaust holed

Choice 1

Do nothing

Short term cost: nothing

Long term cost: bike is unsellable

Choice 2

Have the frame welded

Do nothing about the rest.

Short term cost: probably less than $500

Long term cost: bike is unsellable

Choice 3

Self repair the simple stuff

Get the frame welded

Short term cost: probably less than $1800

Long term cost: bike is sellable but probably worth 20% less. So another $2000 or so

Choice 4:

New frame

Everything done

Short term cost: $6,000 or so

Long term cost: bike is sellable for market price

Choice 5

Insurance company pays

Short term cost: $500 deductible

Long term cost: Most likely big step up in premium on car. Need to reserach but probably $3,000 over the next three years / life of bike. bike is sellable

Hmmm, choice 5 looks like the winner
Consider this though! Even though you replace the frame, the bike will be known for a wreck if ran through the Ins. co. due to the fact that the frame will be unstamped with the VIN # and titled as a salvage bike with either a VIN sticker or riveted plate IDing it = vastly depreciated value. If you repace the frame yourself and stamp the frame it will not look factory and be suspect also.

Friends

Thanks first for all the good and thoughtful responses. Hopefully all of this will add nicely to the collective knowledge and someone will benefit in the future.

And update for those following along . . .

1. I made a claim on my insurance. That's what it's there for. I'll know next week what the repair estimate is and what the insurance company proposes to do. Thus far (Farmers) has been very friendly and helpful.

2. I have just returned home with a Vanson leather jacket and tech-somethingoranother pants with leather at all the slidey points, and some sort of flexible fabric behind the knees, inside the crotch etc. I am heading next towards either RUkka or motoport (or possibly stich) for more touring oriented gear after reading an excellent thread on this forum

3. My wife, god bless her every day, said something to the effect of "why don't you just go buy a new bike." I remain in awe after 25 years of knowing her. We'll see about that one.

I realize the bike with new frame, if that's what happens, will be salvage, but presumably straight and rideable. If it's totaled, I will be back online with all the nearly new farkles for you all to pick over.

If it's totaled, I will be back online with all the nearly new farkles for you all to pick over.
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait a minute..... aren't you going to need your existing "nearly new" farkles to move over to your new '06 FJR.... ? :unsure:

If it's totaled, I will be back online with all the nearly new farkles for you all to pick over.
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait a minute..... aren't you going to need your existing "nearly new" farkles to move over to your new '06 FJR.... ? :unsure:
Yes I will. At this point it is my intention to go get another one just like the other one! Momentary lapse.

Camera56,

Be glad you were not injured, you cant go to the ER for anywhere close to 1K

Are you sure there was not some type of liquid on the road surface?

Glad you are OK, the Bike can be fixed.

Todd

Seeing as I've been through a complete frame replacement for a broken motormount tab, I feel I have $0.02 to toss in here.
I stripped the bike of all bodywork, but still rolling, and took it to the dealer for the frame replacement. $3,100 (included radiator too, but frame was all but 100). I couldn't find ANYONE willing to weld it, something about cast aluminum in a stress bearing connection.

I opted to replace the frame (on insurance dime) rather than total bike because I would have lost out big-time on the loan payoff.

I'm glad I replaced the frame (and other damaged parts) because the bike is fine now, and right.

Independant of the sliders, that portion of the frame is weak, and breaks easily.

If you end up repairing, there are great dealers to get parts from. I use MrCycles in Asheville, NC, and was WELL below the local dealer's prices.
Yeah, anything cast, be it Alum or iron, needs to be preheated, but it can and has been done with not much effort especially when your only building up a lip. Personally, I'd just leave it and put on a Delrin slider and longer bolt, to the point of almost bottoming out in the hole (like the way that sounds!lol).

This is the second 06 I have heard about getting dumped in a corner in the past few weeks, and I gotta wonder if the sensitive throttle and herky/jerky control issues didn't play a role in this accident. It is really easy to snatch the bike and upset the suspension in mid turn due to the new throttle pulley.
Highly, highly unlikely. It's either the s*** happens kind of thing or rider lack of skill/experience. The '06 has no more a sensitive throttle than any other bike out there today.

Oh no! Here we go.........

Friends
Thanks first for all the good and thoughtful responses. Hopefully all of this will add nicely to the collective knowledge and someone will benefit in the future.

And update for those following along . . .

1. I made a claim on my insurance. That's what it's there for. I'll know next week what the repair estimate is and what the insurance company proposes to do. Thus far (Farmers) has been very friendly and helpful.

2. I have just returned home with a Vanson leather jacket and tech-somethingoranother pants with leather at all the slidey points, and some sort of flexible fabric behind the knees, inside the crotch etc. I am heading next towards either RUkka or motoport (or possibly stich) for more touring oriented gear after reading an excellent thread on this forum

3. My wife, god bless her every day, said something to the effect of "why don't you just go buy a new bike." I remain in awe after 25 years of knowing her. We'll see about that one.

I realize the bike with new frame, if that's what happens, will be salvage, but presumably straight and rideable. If it's totaled, I will be back online with all the nearly new farkles for you all to pick over.

Smart moves. Especially marrying a woman like that. Glad you are safe and rebounding.

As for some of the posts about 'sliders' - some of you don't know nuttin'. In fact, some even know less than that.
Nice. Nothing like an introductory insult to get peoples' respect.
Yes, sorry 'bout that :( . I meant it to come accross as more lighthearted that it did. Must remember to use smilies as well as slang to convey humour. I have now written 'I must show when I'm being lighthearted' 100 times. That OK now? :rolleyes: (Actualy, I typed it once and copied it and pasted it 99 times, but you can't really tell :D )

Here's my .02....I just ordered my R&G sliders and bar ends from Vancosports to replace my beautiful Skyways on my 06AE. Insurance wise, I carry Liability only and I really really don't want to have to mess with a cracked frame due to slow speed tip over, which appears would be very likely with aluminum sliders.......As most of my riding is High Speed Sport riding (weee hours in the morning riding the twisties on country roads) I've examined this thoroughly via reading all the post and that's my decision..

I'll be posting my Skyways for sale in here once I receive and install the R&Gs....Yea, I'm gonna miss em cause they sure are purtty.......but they'd be even perttier on your bike...

R&G's are probably better, but unfortunately, Vanco's signature hurts my eyes...

I'll probalby replace my Skyways at some point when I find something that doesn't look as bad as the R&G's. I know what the Skyways offer, tip over protection. I also insure my bike. I realize if I wreck it, I wreck it. That's why it's insured.

Frame damage or not, it is what it is.

Maybe it varries by state, but I don't think cameras bike will get a salvage title unless they 'total' it. If they total it, he's buying a new one.

Here's my .02....I just ordered my R&G sliders and bar ends from Vancosports to replace my beautiful Skyways on my 06AE. Insurance wise, I carry Liability only and I really really don't want to have to mess with a cracked frame due to slow speed tip over, which appears would be very likely with aluminum sliders.......As most of my riding is High Speed Sport riding (weee hours in the morning riding the twisties on country roads) I've examined this thoroughly via reading all the post and that's my decision..
I'll be posting my Skyways for sale in here once I receive and install the R&Gs....Yea, I'm gonna miss em cause they sure are purtty.......but they'd be even perttier on your bike...
What does everyone think of the Motovation Sliders?

https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/Scrip...p?idproduct=180

Best Regards,

Shane

R&G's are probably better, but unfortunately, Vanco's signature hurts my eyes...
I'll probalby replace my Skyways at some point when I find something that doesn't look as bad as the R&G's. I know what the Skyways offer, tip over protection. I also insure my bike. I realize if I wreck it, I wreck it. That's why it's insured.

Frame damage or not, it is what it is.

Maybe it varries by state, but I don't think cameras bike will get a salvage title unless they 'total' it. If they total it, he's buying a new one.
Good catch on that. I'll check into that one.

What does everyone think of the Motovation Sliders?

https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/Scrip...p?idproduct=180

Best Regards,

Shane
Shane

Here's my nickle back having now spent a considerable amount of time and energy on this topic. The right side and left side install differently becuase of how the frame is made. I'm sure others will disagree, but I am absolutely convinced that in a low side slide on the left side, there is a high probability that you will frag the frame unless you're convinced that the material is soft enough that it would deform and not place a lot of lateral pressure on the collar it sits in.

Camera56, It was the Ducati 1000S you crashed, not an 06 FJR. The photos are Ducati, or did I miss something?-----------Never mind, I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camera56, It was the Ducati 1000S you crashed, not an 06 FJR. The photos are Ducati, or did I miss something?-----------Never mind, I see.

FJR. I just stuck the picks in that folder becuase i was moving fast. Duc got sold. Now i'm wishing it was still sitting in my garage so i'd have something to ride for the next month while the FJR gets sorted.

Regardless of what happened to the bike in this crash, I am keeping my Skyway sliders cause I love'em. I know that they are only for a tip over and I think that they are the best looking sliders out there. As said by many others, if something happens to the bike, that is what insurance is for. Put what you want on your bike and ride.