Bike for GF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancasterFJR

Reaction score
I need advice regarding choice of sport touring bike for my GF. She is a skilled rider and currently owns an 06 Kawasaki ZRX636, a hard core sport bike with no long distance capability. We have done several 250 mile day trips, me on the FJR and she on the Kawi. Needless to say, she gets quite uncomfortable near the end of the trips and has lately avoided such trips. She is 5'6", quite athletic but will be 43 soon.

She clearly need a more comfortable bike. We have looked at several. The short list includes:

1. Honda NT700. Built in saddle bags, shaft drive and established track record, but expensive (11k OTD).

2. Kawaski versys, Funky looking, tall, but fairly cheep (just over 7k OTD) and fun to ride. Hard saddle bags available from Kawasaki .

3. FZ6. Nice bike, but heavy and buzzy. No saddle bags in the US.

4. BMW F800GS. No close by dealers and I hate BMW. Way over priced.

What do you think? any suggestions will be appreciated.

She is a skilled rider.... She is 5'6", quite athletic but will be 43 soon <SO??>.
She clearly need a more comfortable bike. We have looked at several.

Get her an FJR

My wife currently rides a shadow aero and is the same height of your GF. She sat on the Honda NT700 and really liked it.

I say, with the specials everyone is running and trying to sell bikes; take advantage and try the NT700, doesn't have a auto-windshield, but I think it slides up manually.

That bike will probably be the best for her. I sure my wife will make the transition in the next year or two.

My wife is selling her '07 Kawi 650r. It has a touring windshield. Very comfortable and more protection than the Verys. You could add saddle bags and have a half of an FJR!

Having come from an 06 636 myself, and looking to get something more capable as a 2up tourer, I was originally looking at the Suzuki SV650s, GS600F, Kawi's 650R and ZZR600 (which is their 00-02 ZX-6R reintroduced as a "new" model in 05 or 06), the and the FZ6R. For me when I realized all of these were just going to eventually disappoint me in the touring category, I decided to spend the money for the FJR. Since my better half doesnt ride (yet), all my rides include a passenger and gear for two, so I needed something a little bigger.

Having owned all Kawi's prior to the FJR I was leaning towards the Ninja 650R, but would have likely ended up with the FZ6R.

No regrets about the FJR!

My wife has a Versys, at 5" 8' she finds it a bit tall, it leans over on it's side stand a lot and if the bike is loaded for touring it's a handful for her getting it up right after filling up at the gas station.

I'm a inch shorter and don't have that problem so it could be just upper body strenght and technique.

Best let her take it out for a test ride if you go that route.

Great touring bike though.

I would be afraid she'd be underwhelmed by the Dullville. It's definitely underpowered and heavy. And IMO way too expensive.

Good cheap 600s that are old enough to have some level of useful torque: Late-model ZZ-R600 (which is the same as the), '00-'02 ZX-6R, CBR-600F2/F3/F4, YZF-600R. These bikes will have 80-90 rwhp, 15 or more down on her bike, but they're not as peaky and a lot more pleasant to ride.

I think the SV-650 is "enough" bike for anyone, but the standard doesn't have much wind protection and the S is cramped. The SV1kS isn't as cramped, and is a lot faster. Kawasaki's ER and Versys are supposed to be great bikes and might even change hands cheaper than an SV since they're not as well known. I haven't ridden one but everything I've heard has been generally positive.

The 919 is one of the best invisible bikes ever, and the ZRX-11/1200 is a bullet in retro standard clothes. The gen-1 FZ-1 is similar but looks more modern. The Bandit 1200 is one of the best standard bikes you can buy, comfortable as a sofa and faster than just about anything.

I'd think if she bought a sport bike initially, though, it's for want of performance. I think the best bike for performance with the comfort to go hundreds-of-miles days is the Sprint ST. Also much cheaper than a Dullville.

I need advice regarding choice of sport touring bike for my GF. The short list includes:1. Honda NT700. Built in saddle bags, shaft drive and established track record, but expensive (11k OTD).

2. Kawaski versys, Funky looking, tall, but fairly cheep (just over 7k OTD) and fun to ride. Hard saddle bags available from Kawasaki .

3. FZ6. Nice bike, but heavy and buzzy. No saddle bags in the US.

4. BMW F800GS. No close by dealers and I hate BMW. Way over priced.

S.O. is currently shopping, too.

She's looked at a few on your (above) list. She termed the NT700 (Dullville) as "Clunky" (probably the most damning condemnation I can think of...? :unsure: :rolleyes: ). She settled on a new '09+ Ninja 650.

I think Kawi's ZZR600 would make a nice sport-touring bike for lots of riders, too. Suzuki's GSX650F may also fill the bill? With any of these, the accessability of touring ammenities becomes an issue.

But, size of the bike compared to the rider can really be an issue -- too big can really intimidate and spoil the fun (IMO).

I watch these threads closely whenever they come up hoping there'll be some new mid-sized FJR-like model out there for my wife. Something around 800cc, shaft driven, good wind protection w/ adjustable screen, day-long comfort yet sporty ergonomics, manageable fuel range, hard side bags, enough extra juice to power heated gear and aux lights, under 550 lbs wet, lower seat height, ABS, centerstand, etc. I know, I know, I don't ask for much. :rolleyes:

I was hopeful when I first heard that the Honda NT700 was headed to our shores, but after looking at it, it's just not the one, cost being just one of the factors.

All that being said, my wife has been pretty happy with her Kawi 650R and really has ridden the sh!t out of it. However, it's just not up to the distances she sometimes rides. She's done >700 miles days on it, but not without some pretty significant discomfort, so we're shopping too.

She has looked very seriously at the VFR (800), the BMW F 800 ST, and the Triumph Sprint ST (1050cc). For a whole bunch of reasons, she's pretty much decided that she's going to be looking for a used Sprint when spring rolls around. Aside from the limited dealer network, I'm happy with her decision.

I don't think anybody mentioned the Honda VFR 800. Great all round bike and would still entertain those with sporting intentions. It is available with hard bags by Honda or Givi. Everyone who owns one loves it. Not a great two up bike but perfect for a single. The only issues are that they are that they are bit pricey new and the VTEC is a little expensive at valve adjust time. Look for an 06 or later as they tweeked the VTEC to make it less abrupt. Available with ABS too. I'm sure there are non currents in boxes out there with good prices.

Thank you all for the response. I see that many of you are in the same dilemma. I just added two more bike to the list:

1. FZ1. Nice naked motorcycle that can double as a tourer and has available luggage and bags. thank you Tyler for reminding e of this one.

2. VFR800. More sporty but for sure also more comfortable than the 636. Good deals out there with the VFR1200 on the horizon. Thank you TILAM.

The Triumph is nice, but no local dealer. Have to drive to LA to check them out.

I'll let know how this turns out. Sam

+1 on ZRX. I have a ZRX1200R in addition to my FJR and love it.

you can tour all day on one (assuming an aftermarket seat) and with equal riders it'll leave an FJR far behind in the twisties. it's also bulletproof and you can buy a cherry one for around $4k.

only real negative is significantly less weather protection but thats going to be true of anything except another sport tourer and if you;re getting one of those the FJR is best.

I have a FZ6, great little bike. I like the upright seating and wind screen for longer days but really it is a day/ play bike for me.

Having said that I agree the FZ1 may be better for touring or I would look hard at the Bandit with ABS as it seems a bit more upright which helps on those long days in the saddle.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife rides an 06 VFR-800 Interceptor with the Honda saddlebags. She just went over 55,000 miles on it without any troubles at all. I added Heli bars and lowered the bike 3/4", which you can do in about 20 minutes by yourself. JamesK from this forum rides in our group and he can attest that she can easily ride 3-500 miles without an issue. She has used it on an IB ride around Florida and ridden with me the BRP a couple times. It is a solid bike that can do almost as much as the FJR, just a bit less power. She is 42, 5'4", and unknown weight.(by me) LOL. Definitely a bike to consider if you want to ride and do minimal wrenching.