Black wheels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never cared for the Mad Max looking black wheels. I like the silver better. Guess I'm retarded Greg.

Gp

The answer was already given. In europe we have three color options:

'frosted blade' (= your stone grey), very dark orange metallic and midnight black...

By the way: all colors have black rims in Europe too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Never cared for the Mad Max looking black wheels. I like the silver better. Guess I'm retarded Greg.
Gp

YOU said it! Not me!
tonguesmiley.gif

After dealing with 3 bikes that had silver wheels and trying to keep them clean, I LOVE how the black wheels hide all their sins.

Kerosene for the quick wipey clean of black wheels. Seriously. Takes longer to check my tire pressure than to hit it with kerosene on a rag, which I do, uh, during tire pressure checks....

Anyone know what is under the black? Had a Honda Nighthawk S with black wheels. Used Zip Strip and took the black off and it was polished aluminum under the paint. If worse comes to worse, I guess I can test it when I change the tires by stripping some off on the inside.

Well, it will be alloy (aluminum) but I doubt it will be polished. If you want paint to stick to a surface, polishing is the last thing you would want to do.

Of course, once you strip the paint off you can polish them up if you want that. Seems like a lot of work, for just a little bling, to me.

YMMV

Well, it will be alloy (aluminum) but I doubt it will be polished. If you want paint to stick to a surface, polishing is the last thing you would want to do.
Of course, once you strip the paint off you can polish them up if you want that. Seems like a lot of work, for just a little bling, to me.

YMMV
img022-1-Th.jpg
img025-1-Th.jpg

Well all I can say is these wheels came directly from Honda as black and after I used the zip strip this is what I got. All I had to do is shoot some wax on them. It isn't hardly any work at all. When you have the wheels off to change tires you just brush on the zip strip and wait, maybe half an hour, don't recall, then blow them off with a hose.

I love the black. But every wheel I've had on any motorcycle gets dirty fast. I can leave with a clean bike, and come home at the end of the day, and a damp white towel will come off black. Those wheels look like they turned out well.

I forgot how quickly black wheels get dirty. I put 300 miles on 013 and back wheel is filthy. If I had my druthers, I will take unpainted aluminum. Am I alone on this?Jim
Your not alone. My Gen2 FJR bland gray wheels are way less maintenance (cleaning) than my gloss-black ones on my Beem. I'm a stickler on clean and polished bikes, and this is def another added duty. :(

After 300+mi. of riding, they're coated...

3135677-129Slayer_zps6ac03ee5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I should just paint them muddy brown
Fred,

For a smart guy you have that screwed up pretty bad. My 690 has black wheels and I don't have any issues. Stop washing the thing and they'll have that ruddy brown patina all the time with no paint!
Sorry, was just reading some of the older posts and some are just very funny like this one.