Blazer BH2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldbound4now

Reaction score
I just finished up a modest install of the Blazer BH2010 horn kit that Autozone sells. It includes the necessary relay but no useful wiring. Following the FJRTECH instructions on installing Magnum Blaster horns was helpful, but I still managed to blow the horn fuse once, found my error was a hot wire that I failed to connect to the relay on my rough install. There seems to be plenty of clearance on my '05 on the left, but the right bracket had to be drilled shorter to raise the horn higher. This brought the horn further away from my superbrace with at least 1/2 inch clearance.

On my first hit of the horn button, I jumped out of my skin. I'm not sure the decibel rating on these, but do not hit the horn in a closed garage!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey there.

Coincidentally I just purchased the same kit from Autozone today adn came home to do a search and see if anyone else had experience with these.

I figure I'll tackle them this weekend and see how it goes.

I'm really novice novice when it comes to electrical. Home wiring makes sense but I need good diagrams. Auto/mc wiring seems much more complex. I guess b/c it is working frm a battery? I dunno.

anyway, I'll jump in and give it a shot.

Do the existing horns have a relay? If not, why is there a need to use the relay on the replacement horns?

If I run into trouble this weekend do you mind if I pm you?

thanks.

The relay is there for a purpose. The function of the relay in this installation is for amperage draw to protect your fuse from failing

The horns you are using take quit a bit if ciurent draw, when you push the horn button the relay takes the intial jolt of the amp draw and the horns engage with out you blowing a fuse.

that is basically why you need a relay

The aftermarket horns take a lot more juice...thus the loud noise...therefore the relay is in there to protect your wiring harness so it doesn't get fried. I hear buying and installing a whole new harness might be a bit pricey.

Lee - I believe FJRTech has a piece on wiring up aftermarket horns...so you might find some good info there.

Disclaimer - I know nothing about electricity...its all magic as far as I'm concerned. :)

weekend and wheaton--

I did some research on the web on relays and think I understand why to use them.

I'll open the package up and see if a relay is included. I think it is.

I have seen the fjr tech and plan to follow that procedure.

will post on here how it goes, satisfaction level, etc.

if it works well it is a good price at under $30.

I'm trying to get ready for my insallation tomorrow.

Hope you can answer a couple of questions on your install.

I have the Blazer horns, relay, brackets, minimal wires.

Q1: on the FJR Tech wiring diagram there is a 10Amp fuse between the battery hot and the relay. Is that already there with the stock horns or did you have to buy the inline fuse w/your wiring?

Q2: In the FJR Tech instructions it mentions wiring from either the battery or from the power barrier strip. Was there an obvious hot wire to the existing stock horn that you used as your power source?

TIA for any help.

hey there.Coincidentally I just purchased the same kit from Autozone today adn came home to do a search and see if anyone else had experience with these.

I figure I'll tackle them this weekend and see how it goes.

I'm really novice novice when it comes to electrical. Home wiring makes sense but I need good diagrams. Auto/mc wiring seems much more complex. I guess b/c it is working frm a battery? I dunno.

anyway, I'll jump in and give it a shot.

Do the existing horns have a relay? If not, why is there a need to use the relay on the replacement horns?

If I run into trouble this weekend do you mind if I pm you?

thanks.
You found the same kit? I'm not able to locate it in the local stores and their website doesn't list it either. If you haven't already pitched the packaging, could you snap a picture of it and the horns and post them please?

Thanks!

hey there.
You found the same kit? I'm not able to locate it in the local stores and their website doesn't list it either. If you haven't already pitched the packaging, could you snap a picture of it and the horns and post them please?

Thanks!
if you can wait until tomorrow I will give it a shot. I didn't toss the package yet b/c they will take it back if it wasn't installed. figured the packaging might come in handy.

P1000173.jpg

https://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo241/L...55/P1000172.jpg

P1000172.jpg

sorry it took two posts to get both pictures. The picture of the label kept giving me a message that I was trying to link to a page that the administrator didn't allow. Probably operator error.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I'm throwing in the towel on this horn project. I know if I had it all laid out on a bench I'd be able to do this. I just can't seem to find enough room up under there to do what has to be done. Call me wus if you like. I bow before all who have done this. I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy......

Am I missing something really basic like you have to take the cowelings off or remove the front wheel? I just cant figure out how you all get this done in such cramped quarters.

Okay, I'm going back to the garage and install the pigtail from the battery that will be there for the slime pump I bought so I won't have to get to the battery out on the road sometime.

Then tomorrow I'll return the horns for a refund.

well, I'm throwing in the towel on this horn project. I know if I had it all laid out on a bench I'd be able to do this. I just can't seem to find enough room up under there to do what has to be done. Call me wus if you like. I bow before all who have done this. I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy......
Am I missing something really basic like you have to take the cowelings off or remove the front wheel? I just cant figure out how you all get this done in such cramped quarters.

Okay, I'm going back to the garage and install the pigtail from the battery that will be there for the slime pump I bought so I won't have to get to the battery out on the road sometime.

I just did my horn upgrade the other day. I pulled the fairings. I'm sure it can be done with them in place but it is so much eaiser with them off.

Thank you for taking a picture of the packaging....the model number (from the first post) isn't accurate so my search wasn't working so well.

BH201C should be easier to find :)

I'll get them and make the attempt. My fairings are currently off so I might have better luck? Who knows... I wouldn't give up just yet; I might be able to figure out a way to get them installed. (unless you've already returned them)

I just did my horn upgrade the other day. I pulled the fairings. I'm sure it can be done with them in place but it is so much eaiser with them off.
I did mine without pulling the fairings, but I have had the fairings off since and agree it would have been easier to install the horns with the fairing off. On the other hand, pulling the fairings is no picnic either.

That relay looks pretty cheesy. I'd paint it with some silicone to help with the water resistance if it were going on my bike.

I got my horns at NAPA. Big sound, small package.

Link

Thank you for taking a picture of the packaging....the model number (from the first post) isn't accurate so my search wasn't working so well.
BH201C should be easier to find :)

I'll get them and make the attempt. My fairings are currently off so I might have better luck? Who knows... I wouldn't give up just yet; I might be able to figure out a way to get them installed. (unless you've already returned them)
Glad the pictures worked okay for you.

I've got 90 days to return them so I'll wait and see what you come up with.

If the "cost" of getting them installed is taking off both fairings, left and right, I'll pass. It isn't worth it to me to have man-horns. I've ridden just 30,000 in the last 5 years but have managed fine w/o them so far. Please understand I'm not dissing anyone for adding them or for going through the effort it takes to install them. For me it was beyond my capabilities w/o removing the panels and not worth my time to remove both panels to add the horns.

Best of luck to you (honest, no sarcasm intended!) on your install. I'd like to hear how it goes for you but I assume you will be okay with your panels off.