Bleeding clutch hydraulics

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a simple harbor freight tool I paid $30 for years ago. It is a vacuum bleeder by Chicago Pneumatic. Looks like a paint sprayer. You hook up your air compressor hose (dialed down to 40 psi, I think). When you pull the trigger, it uses vacuum to pull the brake fluid through the system. I start by using it to suck out the old dirty fluid from the master cylinder. The dirty fluid goes into the plastic container and is fully contained. Then cleaned out the M/C with denatured alcohol, and sucked it out. You'd be surprised how dirty the M/C is. Then filled the M/C with fresh fluid and attached the suction hose to the bleeder and cracked the bleeder. Let run until clear, fresh, bubble free fluid comes out the bleeder ( refilling M/C as necessary). This has worked for clutch cylinder and both brake cylinders several times. It takes me about 45minutes to do the whole FJR, as I am very slow and careful with brake fluid around paint. I cover everything up. Don't ask me how I know this is good advice
weirdsmiley.gif
. Good idea to do this often as brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture/water). Here is the item, on sale now for $25.99. Neatest thing since fuel-injected motorcycles! By the way, works great on autos as well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/brakes/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A simple caution about using alcohol or other solvent in a brake system. Even if the denatured alcohol does not damage any of the seals (not sure about that), you have to remember that it has a MUCH lower boiling point than brake fluid (or water). If ANY remains after bleeding/flushing, it will boil when brakes get hot and you will very suddenly have no brakes. In this respect, alcohol is going to be even worse than using water to flush the system. The best substance to use to flush the brake (or clutch) hydraulics is hydraulic fluid! Of course, clutch hydraulics do not have the same potential as brakes for getting hot and the consequence (not being able to shift) is probably less than the not being able to stop for a brake issue.