Blowin in the wind

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebird

Reaction score
Today was the first day time I have riden in windy weather ,where I was flat out scared . I've been riding for 20+ years , most of which has been transportation to and from work . Since I got the FJR 6 months ago its been all for pleasure . But today was different . I noticed that it was a bit windy at the house before setting off , but nothing to be conserned about ,WRONG ! When I got about 10 miles from the house heading east out of San Diego into the local hills the wind just kept getting stronger and stronger . It was a beautiful day other wise . There was one point where the wind was hitting me directly from the side and I thought it was going to blow the wheels right out from under me .That is a weird feeling to be riding at a 75 deg angle while going straight . I decided that I had enough and turned around . I have been riding quite abit lately and figured there are plenty of good day to ride , why kill myself . Better to live and ride another day !

True dat! I have read a news story about a motorcyclist killed from having been blown into traffic.

I haven't had to ride in a real nasty wind lately, but I seem to recall having concluded that I hate the wind even more than rain on a dark evening commute. Riding in the wind is like having someone constantly trying to kick your bike over. It's freakin' nerve-wracking. The grand slam nerve-wracker for me is dark, rain, rush hour, with strong winds. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Freebird,

I have been in a similar situation your were talking about, but not a a FJR. What were the wind Gusts Speeds your were in ??

Oddly enough, today, I was riding the FJR with the Top Box and the wind was averaging about 20-30mph side winds with gust up to 45mph and it did not affect the bike at all.

I have to say the FJR is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden in the windy conditions and it cuts through quite nicely.

I haven't been Blown in the wind for quite some time, but as I remember it did knock the wheels out from under me..... :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

rode home one evening from my brother's in this (black line is my route):

inm24HRFL_.jpg

This isn't a radar, it's a 24-hr precipitation summary, but you get the idea. At any time, the radar was similar.

That stretch after the turn south then back east is waterfront on Choctawhatchee Bay, and I had crosswinds strong enough to keep flags extended without flapping! There were pine twigs blowing across me, coming from the water!

That was an intense ride: dark, rain, wind, traffic. At least it wasn't cold. . . :blink:

Freebird, where were you riding in San Diego? My commute yesterday in north SD was fairly uneventful with no wind. Were you traveling over the bridge on the 8 just west of Pine Valley? That bridge always seems to generate its own wind from what I can remember.

Tires are another consideration. With most tires, the FJR was the most "wind immune" bike I've ever had. However, with the old PR's, the bike was quite susceptible to wind navigation.

One trick I learned from some old rider many years ago, when you are riding in a cross-wind it helps to point your knee out into the wind.

On last year's in-state CA BB1500 first failed attempt, it just happened to be the windiest day I can remember in years. Once, while stopped, a gust hit so hard I almost couldn't hold the bike up. 700+ miles later, I was hammered. Definitely not the best conditions for a LD ride.

One trick I learned from some old rider many years ago, when you are riding in a cross-wind it helps to point your knee out into the wind.
Would that hold true with fully-faired machines as well?

I'm new to the FJR (only ~2,500 miles on it) but the GL1800 parked beside it in the garage has 110,000 miles on the odo. I've ridden north through the Sacramento Valley more than once with a severe quartering wind from the right, although it was usually pretty steady. Same thing has been true for southern Idaho/northern Utah. Push the windward handlebar and watch ahead. Approaching a bridge or other windbreak, prepare to relax the handlbar push as the wind "breaks." Overtaking large vehicles, relax the handlebar push and the thottle as I pull up beside them, resume push on handlebar and increase throttle as I emerge in front of them. The predictable stuff isn't bad, although it's tiring. Unpredictable gusts, though, can take the fun right out of it!

I find laying on the tank and staying behind a down shield decreases your profile to the side and greatly reduces the effect of the cross wind.

I find laying on the tank and staying behind a down shield decreases your profile to the side and greatly reduces the effect of the cross wind.
That's what I did, but it's rather unomfortable after a very few minutes. Still, not as uncomfortable as wearing a mirror-image KW stamp on your forehead.

I'm not sure what the wind speed was , I would have to guess 40+ . I was riding out hwy 78 toward Santa Ysabel . The further out I got the stronger it got . There were some strong gusts at first . As I would come around a bend I could kinda anticipate the gusts by looking at the trees blowing , but it was still difficult guessing how hard they were going to hit .Once I got out to Santa Ysabel I turned left onto Hwy 79 , this is were it got down right scary . There was a sustained cross wind of probubly 40+ . I continued down 79 which is a wide open valley thinking that once I got past that spot and back into some cover it might improve . There were a few cars coming the other way and they were obviously having the same problem . They gave me a funny look I thing because they probably never saw a bike going down the road at an angle like that before . No joking , I was tilted probably to an angle of 70 or 75 degrees . I could feel the pressure on the tires ,like they were going to get blown out from under me . The other scary part is not knowning when the wind is just going to stop and would I be able to recover fast enough or just fall over Artie Jonhson style (Laugh-in ) for you youngsters. I just slowed down until I found a spot to turn around . It still sucked but I figured I would rather get blown off the road at 35 or 40 than at 65 or 70 . Thanks for the riding tips but I'm not sure how much anything would have helped when mother nature is Exhaling like that . Hope you all don't have to experience anything like this , it was excitng , but I don't recomend it .

I understand what you're saying Freebird. Way back when, in another life, I arrived home from work somewhat the worse for wear. Mom had something to say about it but Dad stuck up for me because he understood how it felt to ride a bike in high winds. I was 17 years old, riding a fully faired Honda CB200. Never forgot that feeling.

Since then, I've found the FJR to be the surest footed bike I've ridden in the wind, so far. It handles that kind of weather a lot better than Andy's K1200S does. I'm real uneasy about stopping though, because I have to choose which foot to put down. That's not an easy choice when the wind is gusting from all directions.

Jill

Now that you mention it , turning around was a little hairy , but I am still glad I did . Your also right about the fact that I will not forget this ride anytime soon .