Blue Sea Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I know this has been beaten almost to death, but did the install this weekend and wanted to pass along a couple of tips. First thanks to Randy for sending me his parts list - I did have to run out to buy one more item, but then decided not to use it! I believe Randy intends to post how he did this w/pictures and his parts list - I don't want to step on his toes, but thought I'd throw out my experience in general.

I bought my wire from a boat supply joint. Installed the Blue Sea under the pillion seat - moved my autocom intercom to the tool box.

1 - I used 10/14ga wire rated to 105 degrees centigrade (probably didn't need to use the ashpalt loom, but then I like redundency, backups, and "plan B")

2 - have ABS - ran the wire from the battery through the clutch side opening (frame) to the back - the throttle side opening is pretty well jammed full

3 - Used the Napa ashpalt loom which I ran backwards. Ran the wire first and then slipped the loom over the back end of the wire and ran it forward through the engine compartment to the frame opening in the front. Seems a whole lot easier than trying to shove it from front to back

4 - Rather then screw around with tight spaces - I removed panels A, B, C, D, the gas tank, and the clutch side silver panel that covers the air cleaner and of course both saddles!

5 - I bolted the relay onto the bolt that holds the rear wheel black plastic covering to the frame. It's just forward of where in my case the Givi mount crosses the bike (under the pillion seat)

6 - Started the bike yesterday - no fires, everything works.

This isn't a difficult addition - but it is time consuming and not something you ought to rush.

...and one more thing I learned - the boating world uses shrink-wrap that also has a heat activated glue inside. So, you get the benefits of the shrink-wrap with an added bonus of a glue bond - meant to keep the salt air/water from getting under the shrink wrap and corroding the connection. The place that Randy noted in his posts - defender.com - is a great internet source and has great prices compared to walk in stores. I used the regular shipping option and got my stuff in 3 days.

Rode to work today and everything worked! In fact, I'd swear my Dual Stars were warmer than before - and they even worked with my high beams on (inside joke)!

Jim

Since you committed me to providing a parts list and how-to, I guess I didn't have a choice :D

J/K - yeah, it's something I've been wanting to do, just didn't get around to it yet.

Since we're on the topic of a Blue Sea install, I want to publicly say "Thanx" to Randy. I installed my Blue Sea a few weeks after Randy installed his and he provided invaluable help to me thru PM's and e-mail pictures.

As usual, the folks that frequent this board are always willing to share knowledge and experience w/ anyone that asks. "Thanx" to all of you as well.

:)

+1

Randy sent me his parts list and his phone number to help me out. The parts list probably saved my many frustrating hours gathering the right parts in the right numbers at the right place and I did talk to him for a couple of minutes on the day of install.

You're both very welcome. Feels good to be able to help out when, all along, I've felt like all I have been doing is mooching info off of others and not contributing. It wasn't that long ago that I was scratching my ass trying to figure out how in the hell I was going to do this install. A bunch of other members shared their info/experiences with me which gave me the knowledge and confidence to do it. If they wouldn't have shared the info, well, not only would I not have the PDB installed, but, I'd have a sore ass from all of the scratching.

Here's a 12 slot blue sea mounted under the seat. :D

190j3495.jpg