Boot Evaluation;

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've worn my Gaerne boots for hundreds of hours, both riding and walking and have no complaints at all. They have been acceptable in the heat, warm in the cold (mid teens, °F), dry in all conditions and as comfortable as house slippers. The soles have offered great traction on all surfaces. I haven't tested them for ruggedness in an accident :erm: but by the specs they have all the right stuff in the all right places. I had expected to buy Oxtar Matrix boots which are a close match to the Gaernes in fit, comfort, dryness and protection but the Oxtars press and rub on some of the hardware in my ankle and were unbearable to walk in. I have a bit of difficulty shifting with these boots but they aren't much different than any other motorcycle boot I've had.

There are a lot of good boot choices, it would be hard to go wrong with most of the boots being discussed here.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Oxtar Matrix Gore-Tex Boots based on other people's recommendations & also price.

Only boots I've owned (MC that is), so I don't have a baseline for comparison with other boots.

They are waterproof (yes I tested), adjustable for tight or loose or somewhere in between, don't look like part of a Mars Lander outfit, and do very well at keeping the left side heater at bay in 95 degree weather...

Oh, you people! All this boot talk made me run out and buy some . Stop the madness! Er, I mean thank you, I think.
Be sure to give us all a good review on those once you've had a chance to wear them for a few hours/miles.
Unfortunately, it may not be this weekend. They're scheduled to arrive Saturday, probably just after we leave for the coast. Hopefully, they keep the wind out and allow me to wear some warm socks underneath. I had an issue last week where my bootlace loop got caught on some part of the bike, preventing me from putting my foot down. Coulda been bad if I needed that foot to balance. No laces = good. I don't have many issues with boots while on the bike and I don't expect them to be comfortable (or intend to wear them) for long hikes, so they'll probably do just fine.

I've currently got the Oxtar Matrix. Definately a nice boot and I like them.

But I have to give the nod to the Garnae ST. More comfortable and better support.

the Nitro boots are very light and have air vents in the arch and along the outside of the toe ,, very comfy and cool ,, but the soles are not so good ,, they feel greasy on hot pavement and in gravel you feel evey rock ,, my favorite boots are my Ridge Tactical boots (EMS and LEO) ,, light ,, great sole ,, all leather ,, water proof ,,

my Lady gave me a pair of Vendramini Marathons for Xmas ,, been wanting a pair for a long time ,, they are soooooooooo nice !! those Italians make the sweetest footwear !!!!

I know this should be in the for sale section, but thought it would get viewed more here. I have a pair of 6 mo. old "SIDI Champion Air". These boots are very comfortable for the street. The only thing I disliked is the zipper/velcro flap being on the outward side of the boot. Other than that, a very nice boot. Anyone interested in them I'll sell for $90. New was $160. Very good/like new condition. If it wasn't for the zipper/flap, I'd keep em! Here's where I got them and what they look like:

https://www.newenough.com/sidi_champion_air_boots_page.htm

Oh yeah, size 46 euro.

Oxtar Matrix in winter.

Sidi Champion Air in summer (although these run a bit small I think).

I haven't got riding boots yet. I wear these:

pTBL-1367839dt.jpg

They are water proof, cool enough for summer, and have good tread. They DO NOT have adequate ankle support or armor for a crash...gonna be buying riding boots soon...

Boot Features

Made of Black Leather

Rubber Soles

Non-Woven Cloth

Inside zipper and Velcro closure

Cement Construction For Long Durable Wear

Approximate height of 11 Inches

Comfort Boots made for everyday riding

30 Day Exchange or Return Guarantee!

Kevlar & Armortex Materials

Polyamide (High Strength)

Water & Dirt Resistant

Freezing Resistant (-25° C)

Abrasion Resistant

Tear-Resistant

Freedom of Movement

Super Stretch

Anti-Slip

Link to $49.50 Boots

boots.jpg

Oh, you people! All this boot talk made me run out and buy some . Stop the madness! Er, I mean thank you, I think.
Be sure to give us all a good review on those once you've had a chance to wear them for a few hours/miles.
Not an actual evaluation but a summary of my experience so far. The boots showed up last Saturday while we were out of town. Sunday night I tried them on. Left first, hmmm, a little tight but I can live with it. Right next, WTF? A definite lump in the arch.

Investigation (after removing insole) revealed a crimped section of the inner sole (the one that's glued in). Well, this won't do. New Enough was closed Monday for the 1/1 holiday. I called Tuesday and got Daniel, the customer service manager. I explained the problem to him, and he said they would send another pair out right away with a prepaid shipping form for the defective pair. I asked him if he could send one size larger and he complied.

The new pair arrived today, three days later, and they never even charged me for anything, just basically trusting me to get the other boots back in a timely fashion, which I did right away. I can't say enough good about my experience with New Enough. I'll definitely be checking there first for anything gear-related that I intend to buy.

As for the boots (Diadora Hurricane), they are the first pair of motorcycle boots I've ever worn, so comparisons are out. They seem comfortable enough and the ergos work good with the FJR. I'll probably wind up adjusting the shift lever some, as the front part of the boot has a very low profile and fits under the shifter real easily. That will come in handy for those mid-turn upshifts and more clearance in general. The sole material seems a bit hard, which compromises traction. Maybe it will improve upon break-in. I think they'll be fine for my needs. The larger size will allow a warm sock when desired, so I'm looking forward to a cold weather ride to put 'em to the test. The armor seems adequate, but I hope to never test that feature.

They are water proof, cool enough for summer, and have good tread. They DO NOT have adequate ankle support or armor for a crash...gonna be buying riding boots soon...
Just don't crash. That's my plan. I only bought the Kevlar suits to look cool. ;) However, I now have a phobia about looped strings attached to my feet.

AlpineStar Goretex Tourers.

Hard to find--I had BikeJohnny send me a pair from the UK. They are comfortable all day, have cushioned soles, don't get wet, are surprisingly warm in the winter, have hidden armor, and don't make you look like a woodsman, a gangbanger, or RoboCop...

First pair was torn up when I went down and saved my ankle from being broken and cut up. It was very badly sprained, though.

Replaced them with the exact same boot--two pairs, but the first pair is still in fine shape.

Oxtar Matrix Gore-Tex Boots
+1
+1
+1

Ordering online I have had terrible luck getting my boot or pants size correct the first time. However I had great experience returning for correct bigger size. On one I got them free shipping as I had asked over the telephone about sizing and they felt they had mislead me so they paid. Shipping is all it cost me on the other...

No one around here carries the Oxtar line so I couldn't try them on but they fit great from day one and no break in time.

Great boots.