Bootleg hydration kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built one recently using a 2-L insulated thermos with a camelback bladder inside. The thermos is just used to keep the camelback cold. The filled bladder goes in first, followed by ice. I suppose I could have skipped the camelback, but with this set up, that's the only thing I have to clean and the thermos can stay on the bike.
I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to slightly pressurize the thermos so that the water will be "self dispensing" like a drinking fountain and I won't have to suck so hard (insert jokes here).
Geez, with a little more thinking you could make it easily removable and use the pot for cooking while camping :yahoo:

Friday?

Geez, with a little more thinking you could make it easily removable and use the pot for cooking while camping :yahoo:
Hmmm!!! What have I started!

Pretty soon I'll have to add LED Lighting, and ...

As already noted, I am impressed with the sewing!

I didn't think men were allowed to know this skill! :)

Seriously, though, this whole set up rocks. Props for thinking it through and getting the excellent end result!

This may be asking a lot, but a post with the entire parts list and sources would be mucho helpful for those seeking to copy.

I didn't think men were allowed to know this skill! :) This may be asking a lot, but a post with the entire parts list and sources would be mucho helpful for those seeking to copy.

Actually, my father taught me to sew. I grew up in Oregon, hunting and fishing, and we made our own tents, backpacks, game bags, or we modified the army surplus stuff! It is funny, but I can sew better than any of my three sisters!

As far as the parts go, I'm still tossing around ideas for the drink tube. I have the Camalback Thermal Kit, and an extension kit.

DrinkTube.jpg

But, I can't tell if the old version just slides in and out ( ok guys, I no I'm pushing it on friday) through the top. When you stop to refill, do you pull out the tube to unscrew the top? Does the tube stay in place when traveling?

I don't want to over engineer this, but I'd like a fitting mounted to the jug that would allow me to unscrew the tubing, like you would a garden hose.

So far I see that it needs to come apart easy to clean. Or, more importantly, the top needs to come off easy to refill. I'm looking at entering the jug from just below the lid, so as not to interfere with taking it off. It clips off the bike easy enough for transport that I'd only have to remove the tube for cleaning.

off to look for parts. Anyone with ideas? Can someone enlighten me as to how theirs is set up?

A suggestion and a question. The suggestion: just put the hose through the center of the top so the hose won't spin around and around the axis as you rotate the top off. Then take a small O-ring that just fits tightly over the hose and slide or roll it up the hose on the inside of the bottle, snug against the top, leaving enough hose below it to reach the bottom of your bottle. The O-ring should keep the hose in place unless you really yank on it. Maybe one or two extra O-rings would make it even more secure, if needed. Seems like the simplest way that would do the job.

The question (well, two): What does that strap and snap fastener/buckle on the outside of the bottle do? And how do you secure the bottle to the bike on the inside? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question (well, two): What does that strap and snap fastener/buckle on the outside of the bottle do? And how do you secure the bottle to the bike on the inside? Thanks.

Oooo, oooo, I know..... I bet he has one of those clippy things on the other side and the two them hold the bottle to the pan. No other attachment to the bike.

Yes?

Oooo, oooo, I know..... I bet he has one of those clippy things on the other side and the two them hold the bottle to the pan. No other attachment to the bike.

Yes?
Yes, there's one quick release strap on each side, that hold the case to the baseplate. Baseplate is bolted to spare footpeg. The jug can be lifted out to refill or clean, or the case (with the jug inside) can be un-clipped and carried inside so as not to be missing in the morning!

A suggestion and a question. The suggestion: just put the hose through the center of the top so the hose won't spin around and around the axis as you rotate the top off. Then take a small O-ring that just fits tightly over the hose and slide or roll it up the hose on the inside of the bottle, snug against the top, leaving enough hose below it to reach the bottom of your bottle. The O-ring should keep the hose in place unless you really yank on it. Maybe one or two extra O-rings would make it even more secure, if needed. Seems like the simplest way that would do the job.
Great minds think alike! I did pick up some little compression rings, for just that, to keep the tube from pulling back out. But if the tube goes through the cover, and then the top of the jug, the top of the jug is now attached to the cover.

I guess that's it! Where my compression rings would be pretty permanent, once I got them on. The o-ring would come on and off easier. It wouldn't need much resistance to keep the tube in, and I could get it off to clean the kit!

I knew I had to be careful not to over engineer this thing! I'll try it.

Red tail I do not think o-rings are what you want.

I believe a rubber groumet would work better.

Also to aid in self dispensing that is easy, just seal the container and tube that exit and put in a schrader air valve to pressurize the container to help aidin flowing the liquid. There are some problems though: air flow regulation, one way check valve, keeping the cannister filled with air so there always pressure on the fluid.

Alittle trial and error and you can work out all the details and have a successfuk drink container sekf dispencing..

Also to aid in self dispensing that is easy, just seal the container and tube that exit and put in a schrader air valve to pressurize the container to help aidin flowing the liquid. There are some problems though: air flow regulation, one way check valve, keeping the cannister filled with air so there always pressure on the fluid.
Alittle trial and error and you can work out all the details and have a successfuk drink container sekf dispencing..
True, but I believe that would fall into the over engineering category!

Easier than I thought!

Made the hole through the case and jug, in back between where the zipper meets. Used a stronger tube, that fits so exact, that it will stay by itself! Now the lid comes on and off with ease, or I can quick release the hole kit to carry inside. And, there's only one bolt involved with changing back to the stock peg.

insidetube.jpg

Also added a retractable clip to attach the tube to the tank bag when underway. Here's how it looks with ice cold water flowing through it!

coldwater-1.jpg

Just in time for the holiday weekend! Wonder what the weathers like in Hyder?

I suppose you could replace the hole kit, with a pump up style bug sprayer!!! Then it would double as a mist system! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Once somebody told me this it seemed so obvious I felt like a damn fool, but I was complaining about how the liquid in the tube of my Camelbak was warm or hot for the first couple of gulps. Couple guys told me to blow it back down and clear the tube after drinking--works like a charm, of course. Nice little trick, and more important with a longer hose.

Um, why do you call yourself "Redtail?" :rolleyes:

I think you might find for longer rides you'll want a more 'permanent' routing. Mine runs along the right side, as riding the bike, under the trim plastic, then between the front cowling area, finally across the tank where the magnetic bite valve attaches to the tank. Hard to explain, let me try to find a pix...

But RT - great job, amigo!

OBTW, I have 79 orders places... :rofl:

....Um, why do you call yourself "Redtail?" :rolleyes:
It sounds better than redfaced. ;)
Careful, I know where you live!

Of course, if I mis-behave, you can go down the street and tell my Mom!

I think you might find for longer rides you'll want a more 'permanent' routing. Mine runs along the right side, as riding the bike, under the trim plastic, then between the front cowling area, finally across the tank where the magnetic bite valve attaches to the tank. Hard to explain, let me try to find a pix...
Please!