Bought a FZ1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sradek

Redbird!!
Reaction score
Just bought a 2001 FZ1, 11K, $3400. I think this is a decent deal. Few others in the area had lot more miles and higher price.

Link

Corbin Seat, handlebar risers, Micron can, sliders

Will also include stock seat (the guy has munged it), hi-way pegs (can go in place of sliders).

Rode in on my FJR, so I convinced the guy to let me test ride the FZ1!

Slow on the get off (just needs clutch position adjustment), but once rev'ed in 2, 3, 4 ... it's a blast!! :yahoo:

Brakes are excellent. There was a very minor wobble in the front, but that can be fixed with correct torque'ing the steering head. Does this thing have a stock fork brace (didn't look ...)

Let the farkle'ing begin!! :clapping:

Gen1 FZ1's are my favorite bikes.......looks like you got a good buy. The front "wobble" is probably a bad front tire (hopefully not) it's been an issue with Bridgestones on them.

WOW. congrats. I had the Gen 1 FZ1. It is a blast to ride. Be aware of the 1,2,3 and sometimes even 4th gear coming out of the corners. Bike after all has an R1 components. I used to power slide on it when was riding aggressively.

It does not have an a stock fork brace but you can get one. Also, I had mine on the track few times and never found a need for it. Do get a steering dampner if you are planning to ride aggressively. AT a time there was only one company that was making them for the FZ1 and it was costly but worth every penny.

Just looked at the pictures and I had black as well. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
:clapping: Congratulations! :clapping:

The FJR is enough bike for me. THAT bike would get my wallet and license in too much trouble! However, it might be real fun until they took my license away.... :blink:

A poor choice for upcoming winter riding. Perhaps the added acceleration will make the trip a little shorter, however. Still, I expect you'll be dead of frostbite, before Christmas.

I think $3,400 was a pretty good deal.

The seller likes Hardlees and had the clutch lever canting towards the front and low (yuck) - trying somehow to make it into a lazy cruiser (not!)

He has a bar riser installed (not properly aligned) and has scuffed the handlebar in the process (shish). The chain was all gunked up with too much lube and crap on it. Clearly, this bike wasn't for him!

His loss, my gain :glare: Phunny, I looked instinctively for the saddlebags :unsure:

Yes, the wobble in the front may in fact be the front tire (the bike was in storage for 4 months), but the seller also said he fiddled (?) with the bearing head nut ... hmmm.

Will get the bike in hand next thursday.

Don't ya worry, the trusty V1 will be right there with me :ph34r:

As you know, I am selling my 06 FJR and will be moving some farkles over.

No takers here so far ... please spread the word! I don't have space in my garage!

you got a good deal. 2 yrs ago I sold my 01 FZ with 24000 miles on it for $4200. The buyer has it up to 60000 miles now and I might buy it back. Those motors will last forever if you take care of them.

Nice buy! I love the Fizzie, but somehow have yet to ride one. An ex racer in my bike club has one and uses it to follow people with a video camera during our trackdays. It's hilarious to see guys on white-plate race bikes, knee dragging, doing all they can... and some dude in an Aerostitch staying upright in the seat right on their asses. :) It's an enormously capable bike.