Bought a new BMW GTL today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score

I just picked this up today and I have been wanting one since it was released. Got it with the tall seat, tech package, safety package, the Nav IV, and a couple of new Schuberth helmets with the wireless comm. I know its no where near as good as the Autocom but I am ready to go wireless. Still not sure what I am going to do with the FJR yet?

Congrats!

Don't be a stranger and do let us know how you like the new beemer.

--G
My FJR was my first love and I am still not sure if I will get rid of her or keep her. To be honest if I can find the room I will keep her and take it on some of the group rides. I will give you guys some A/B reports as I get some miles on her.

Congrats! Can't wait to hear what you think of your new bike. Sat on one earlier this year, fit me perfect!

those are real nice bikes. congrats and enjoy it. All totaled up are those more than $30k?
Yep, it hit $32k OTD loaded. They charge for everything. I wanted a louder horn and they said it would run 3 hours of labor (not going to happen), I wanted my BMW (powerlet plug) on the driver side 'hot' so I could use it to charge the bike when in the garage, I wanted an LED light on the topcase and had to pay for the part and labor? I just wanted to do it right this time and spend more time riding and less time working on the bike this time. The only other item that will be going on the bike very soon will be a Russell Daylong seat.

Congrats! Can't wait to hear what you think of your new bike. Sat on one earlier this year, fit me perfect!
I will share my thoughts from time to time but make no mistake these bikes are fast! As fast as the FJR? Not sure but its got to be pretty close. The torque is insane and riding two up on hills all day was drama free and this thing feels like it could pull a stump out of the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
My good riding friend just traded in his GTL (broke up with GF so no more 2 up riding he said ).

Anyways, I got to ride his bike a bit and I liked it of course. However, the FJR is a lot faster, we did a few side by side races in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear and the only time the GTL stayed close was starting at like 3k rpms in 2nd gear, and soon the FJR would pull away. However, gotta love the torque delivery of the GTL and it's certainly no slouch. That nightime headlight is just pure awesome.

My good riding friend just traded in his GTL (broke up with GF so no more 2 up riding he said ).

Anyways, I got to ride his bike a bit and I liked it of course. However, the FJR is a lot faster, we did a few side by side races in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear and the only time the GTL stayed close was starting at like 3k rpms in 2nd gear, and soon the FJR would pull away. However, gotta love the torque delivery of the GTL and it's certainly no slouch. That nightime headlight is just pure awesome.
I wonder if things would change if there was a passenger on the back or going up a hill with a passenger. I get the feeling the FJR is faster but only when riding one up? Its a different bike and there is no way I would take the corners 1-up as well as I could on the FJR. Being 6'5" I am liking the extra room my wife and I have while riding.

Congratulations on the new bike. I've been thinking of selling the FJR and getting a BMW K1600GT. Given the cost I'm leaning towards a new FJR instead. I'm interested in hearing your opinion comparing the bike against the FJR.

you cant compare his FJR to the BMW he has one of those AE models.........

Trouble free BMW, isn't that an oxymoron Trent?...... :yahoo: :yahoo:

Glad to see i wont have any wiring to do on your new bike......

R

you cant compare his FJR to the BMW he has one of those AE models.........

Trouble free BMW, isn't that an oxymoron Trent?...... :yahoo: :yahoo:

Glad to see i wont have any wiring to do on your new bike......

R
Yes Richard the GTL comes with this odd thing attached the left handlebar that you need to pull in when you change gears? This canbus wiring harness is a little different and it makes adding things a little more difficult for 'do it yourselfers' like you Richard so you can imagine I will not be going anywhere near it.

Congratulations on the new bike. I've been thinking of selling the FJR and getting a BMW K1600GT. Given the cost I'm leaning towards a new FJR instead. I'm interested in hearing your opinion comparing the bike against the FJR.
When I was comparing the two bikes this last week my pocketbook was pushing me towards the FJR but in the end I went with the bike I really wanted. Its a big step up in price and I am not going to lie it was much more than I wanted to spend.

thats alot of $$$$$
Yes sir! :eek:

Still not sure what I am going to do with the FJR yet?
I can give you first hand advice about what to do with the FJR.

KEEP IT

I bought a new K1600GTL last December. Its fun to have the latest and greatest, and it was a treat to have a 6 cylinder in-line water cooled motorcycle with every bell & whistle known to man.

However, I picked up a new "leftover" FJR in February, and side by side, riding one immediately after the other on the same 50 to 100 mile loops, I preferred the FJR.

With my K1600GTL, every time I would come back from a ride, I'd think to myself "what great onboard storage, what wonderful wind protection, what cool gadgets." Just like when I used to come back from rides on my old ST1100.

The power to weight ratios are about the same for the FJR and the K1600. The GT's lower weight compared to the GTL turns out to be mostly because they take the bags off for the weighing of the GT, and the gas tanks are actually the same size in the US model, and the engines are the same tune, although there are slight differences in the suspension setting choices and maybe in traction control .... but the punchline is that K1600GT vs. K1600GTL vs. FJR, I'm happiest with the FJR.

By July I was ready to trade the K1600GTL, and I did - for a new K1300S to replace the one I'd traded to them for the privilege of the 4,000 mile test ride (I keep a lot of bikes and rarely put more than 4000 miles a year on any single one). This deal included cash back to me, and so I've also re-acquired a Rocket III Touring like the other bike I'd traded to get the K1600.

I do not miss the K1600GTL. I would miss my FJR if I were to make the mistake of getting rid of it again. Obviously, YMMV.

The new Gen III FJR even has cruise control, and I'll bet it works reliably. A lot of guys, including me, had cruise control failures, and in my case, they could not diagnose the problem (which they thought was in the instrument cluster) without getting two special cables shipped in from Germany. Then when they figured it out, the final diagnosis was the left multi-switch as in most other cases of failure. But since the left multi-switch had been replaced with a new part number, and since so many of them were needed for production and repairs, they were back ordered.

I like BMW and will still carry some water for them from time to time ... but I don't think you can beat the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator: