Bought a new BMW GTL today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the GTL didn't quite have the lean angle and additional speed that my adrenalin side of me desired,

I'm curious... seeing that you can just take the top case off the GTL, what additional speed comes with the GT vs. GTL?
(taken from my K1600 forum owners, gps measured of course)

Sportier GT model is 155-158 mph, some "say" they have been gps'd at over 160 but you know how that goes <_< ....personally I have only had a chance at maybe low 120's, but had plenty more twist in the fist to go.

Most GTL owners are reporting top speeds of around 125-128, again some may be a tad more/less. The difference is in fueling (computer) and it sucks that the Bavarians castrated the GTL this way but an immediate impression/difference is the sound of the GT, it is like a bad ass Lycoming turbine jet engine with a growl added in for good measure. The GTL still sounds nice, just not as nasty.

So that's talk'n top-end but where I really think the inline 6 shines is as a true power torque monster, even down at a measly 1500rpms. Owners are constantly quoted as saying that "they feel like they can pull stumps out of the ground!"... very common quote with the K1600. Maybe some side-jobs are in order for this machine?.

Bottom line however is the GTL is the overall better deal (as said if you want all the extras), Bimmer just rips u off on the GT model when adding the same freeqn accessories! Why? they know they can. Big fan of the bike, not a big fan of their pricing :(

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting and thanks for the info! Does the GT actually make more power on the top end or is it limited in top speed vs. the GT model?

I think I congratulated you already somewhere else but anywhoo, a new Beemer deserves a Congrats again!!

I'm keeping my FJR along with my new '13 1600GT

I fip-flopped for several weeks on this model choice. The GTL is a much better deal if your going to buy the top case for the GT. Basically you get the LED foglights thrown in if you go with the GTL BUT (waffle-waffle) the GTL didn't quite have the lean angle and additional speed that my adrenalin side of me desired, not to mention that throatier exhaust was the final straw for my decision. Not sure either choice is a bad one, this bike is certainly top dog in the sport touring world ..at least right now :lol: If I went GTL like you I was thinking the exact same; tall seat option! (this is a free swap/opt if you order vs buy off the floor btw). Hope your dealer at least covered that!

My dealer threw in the Nav IV (I'm thinking that was like a $700 value?) and was willing to work with me, tossed in engine guards and a direct battery charging terminal, leather jacket n lots of shirts. Since I went with the GT, I had to buy the top case (cough~ $1500) and LED foggers which are now mounted (aesthetically) on the lower f-shroud.

Now go out and put some miles on that bad boy!
It sounds like we were both trying to weight the pros and cons. My personal choice would have been the GT but knowing our love for riding 2-up and the amount of time that we do it I went with the GTL. The top end loss in speed I am sure has something to do with the top case and BMW wanting it to operate within the limits of the bike. I have had the FJR up around 140 and it really becomes a handful with the top case. With it off there was a NOTICEABLE difference up to about 150 where I had to lower the barndoor (my windscreen) to get the last 10 mph. I am glad your enjoying your bike and come Saturday I will be too.

interesting and thanks for the info! Does the GT actually make more power on the top end or is it limited in top speed vs. the GT model?
BMW castrated the GTL because of the additional weight it carries and mainly the topcase. It's funny cuz you can add the exact same topcase to the GT and not have castration!. Not quite sure how the computer actually does it other than hearing on the K1600 forum that it is done in both fueling, timing and rev limiting. A few have reported that the tuned exhaust on the GT (the one that I say sounds "nasty badd") is in the mix as well, if so can't be much. Beemer basically wanted to separate the 2 models (built on the same platform) and make one more sporty, the other more touring. Mission accomplished, they defiantly ride and play differently.

For my type of (mainly 1up) riding, I like the GT, plus the sportier feel is closer to what I'm use to (Feej). Speaking of which, the GT plays noticeably lighter than the FJR. It doesn't feel as top-heavy as the Feej and the GT just comes in and out of leans effortless, the balance those dang Germans got out of this big bike is amazing and don't ask me how but a ton of K1600 forum members are past (& present) FJR owners and all report the same thing. The K1600 seems like a natural progression for a lot of these guys, it's just big bucks and that really sux. I bit the bullet yes, but that doesn't mean I like the fact that the bike is just so damn expensive. Then again you know the old saying... You only live once!

So... If you mainly ride 2up? The GTL will be the cats ass, they even got flip out arm rests (option) now on the topcase. The GTL def rides more straight-up than the GT... I have not however rode the GTL with a tall seat, but those launching handlebars would still have to be swapped out for the GT bars for me at least. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but with those bars and lower seat... just to close to a G/W type of ride (again, for my preference) BUT... probably perfect for others! :)

GT = SPORT/touring

GTL= sport/TOURING

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

those are real nice bikes. congrats and enjoy it. All totaled up are those more than $30k?
Yep, it hit $32k OTD loaded. They charge for everything. I wanted a louder horn and they said it would run 3 hours of labor (not going to happen), I wanted my BMW (powerlet plug) on the driver side 'hot' so I could use it to charge the bike when in the garage, I wanted an LED light on the topcase and had to pay for the part and labor? I just wanted to do it right this time and spend more time riding and less time working on the bike this time. The only other item that will be going on the bike very soon will be a Russell Daylong seat.

Congrats! Can't wait to hear what you think of your new bike. Sat on one earlier this year, fit me perfect!
I will share my thoughts from time to time but make no mistake these bikes are fast! As fast as the FJR? Not sure but its got to be pretty close. The torque is insane and riding two up on hills all day was drama free and this thing feels like it could pull a stump out of the ground.
Will leave the FJR in the dust! I rented one for three days in Germany and it was fantastic! Too expensive, but that motor and exhaust note is addicting :yahoo:

those are real nice bikes. congrats and enjoy it. All totaled up are those more than $30k?
Yep, it hit $32k OTD loaded. They charge for everything. I wanted a louder horn and they said it would run 3 hours of labor (not going to happen), I wanted my BMW (powerlet plug) on the driver side 'hot' so I could use it to charge the bike when in the garage, I wanted an LED light on the topcase and had to pay for the part and labor? I just wanted to do it right this time and spend more time riding and less time working on the bike this time. The only other item that will be going on the bike very soon will be a Russell Daylong seat.

Congrats! Can't wait to hear what you think of your new bike. Sat on one earlier this year, fit me perfect!
I will share my thoughts from time to time but make no mistake these bikes are fast! As fast as the FJR? Not sure but its got to be pretty close. The torque is insane and riding two up on hills all day was drama free and this thing feels like it could pull a stump out of the ground.
Will leave the FJR in the dust! I rented one for three days in Germany and it was fantastic! Too expensive, but that motor and exhaust note is addicting :yahoo:
...or maybe it was the fact that I wasn't subject to speed limits and was cruising on the Autobahn at 140+ mph...and 100+ mph on the landesstrasse between towns. In any case, it is FAST!

I love hearing that and hope your right. The usuable torque in the mid range after coming out of a corner is insane.

I love hearing that and hope your right. The usuable torque in the mid range after coming out of a corner is insane.
Just to clarify; I rented a GT, and did not know there was a difference, so that may be a factor!

Just to clarify; I rented a GT, and did not know there was a difference, so that may be a factor!
The only difference is top end speed. The GTL is limited to 128 (I think) while the GT does not have such a limit.

that's what I was assuming, I don't see why they would pull power from the larger bike designed for 2-up riding that uses the same engine.

Will leave the FJR in the dust! I rented one for three days in Germany and it was fantastic! Too expensive, but that motor and exhaust note is addicting
Not my experience. I rode mine for 7 months, 5 months of which were side by side with the FJR. The big Beemer was no quicker in normal riding on US roads. The drag profile and power to weight ratios are similar, and if anything, favor the FJR. The FJR felt more sporty, more responsive, and more fun. The only thing that would throw the equation in favor of the Beemer would be the two up trip capability where the K1600 rivals and may beat the Goldwing based on onboard storage and wind protection.

I suppose YMMV ... Mine certainly varied from this report. I'm not one of the guys who's addicted to exhaust noise, but I will admit that folks riding behind me often commented on the exhaust note. Frankly, I'd be happy with an electric motor if it would pull my navel through my backbone. Neither the K1600 nor the FJR are very good at this compared to the strongest options currently available.

There's really only one way to scratch the very real K1600 itch, and that's to buy one. Its great fun to have a 6 cylinder high tech bike. I enjoyed my 7 month test ride .... but not enough to keep the bike for the long haul. That's just me. I'm mighty fickle when it comes to motorcycles.

NO question, the GT in "Sport" mode is faster and quicker than my FJR. It certainly plays lighter and maybe the word would be "more precise".... just maybe not $10K more quicker and precise especially to a lot of frugal folks :yahoo:

This past spring one of my friends bought a Black Mercedes convertible. I parked my Black Caddy CTS next to it at a brew house one night and he slammed me on my CTS (I let him gloat and go on and on). Yes, his car was much better in almost every detail but was it worth $60K more? To him it was. Same thing here (but on a smaller scale) with comparing these two bikes. I still plan on keeping my Feej, it's a really nice bike and heck it was just bought with 0 miles this past March!

NO question, the GT in "Sport" mode is faster and quicker than my FJR. It certainly plays lighter and maybe the word would be "more precise".... just maybe not $10K more quicker and precise especially to a lot of frugal folks :yahoo:
+1, Gunny; the GT in Sport mode is definitely quicker, still love my FJR dearly but I now could not live without my BMW K1600GT!

I love meine Gisele, you know we're expecting a baby any day now; I sure hope Tom doesn't find out, he doesn't know I'm the Dad!

1251302895_gisele_bundchen_290x402.jpg

Note to 2006FJR: Did you happen to buy your GT from Irv Seaver BMW? I went to School with Owner Evan Bell. Orange High Panthers - Class of 1966!

+1, Gunny; the GT in Sport mode is definitely quicker, still love my FJR dearly but I now could not live without my BMW K1600GT!

I love meine Gisele, you know we're expecting a baby any day now; I sure hope Tom doesn't find out, he doesn't know I'm the Dad!

1251302895_gisele_bundchen_290x402.jpg

Note to 2006FJR: Did you happen to buy your GT from Irv Seaver BMW? I went to School with Owner Evan Bell. Orange High Panthers - Class of 1966!
I have not had much luck at Irv Seaver over the last 5-years? I ended up needing to drive to Long Beach to buy my bike. Irv Seavers and the company I work for are a rocks throw from one another in Orange but I was not getting the help I needed to purchase.

.... I went to School with Owner Evan Bell. Orange High Panthers - Class of 1966!
HS Don! Did ur high school football team play with leather helmets back then? :p

JK kinda... and that's why I take your advice, your a Big-Beemer father figure!