Bought a new BMW GTL today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.k1600forum.com Congratulations Trent, Deutschland Uber Alles! Do consider joining K1600 Forum and BMW MOA, lots of good information about Beemers at both. International BMW Rally is being held in Salem, OR next July. Auf Wiedersehen!
Thank you and I have already signed up. My screen name is macmovieman My link I will also be signing up for BMW MOA later today too. Not sure what its all about yet but I have been told from many others I need to do it so I will. :lol:

Still not sure what I am going to do with the FJR yet?
I can give you first hand advice about what to do with the FJR.

KEEP IT

I bought a new K1600GTL last December. Its fun to have the latest and greatest, and it was a treat to have a 6 cylinder in-line water cooled motorcycle with every bell & whistle known to man.

However, I picked up a new "leftover" FJR in February, and side by side, riding one immediately after the other on the same 50 to 100 mile loops, I preferred the FJR.

With my K1600GTL, every time I would come back from a ride, I'd think to myself "what great onboard storage, what wonderful wind protection, what cool gadgets." Just like when I used to come back from rides on my old ST1100.

The power to weight ratios are about the same for the FJR and the K1600. The GT's lower weight compared to the GTL turns out to be mostly because they take the bags off for the weighing of the GT, and the gas tanks are actually the same size in the US model, and the engines are the same tune, although there are slight differences in the suspension setting choices and maybe in traction control .... but the punchline is that K1600GT vs. K1600GTL vs. FJR, I'm happiest with the FJR.

By July I was ready to trade the K1600GTL, and I did - for a new K1300S to replace the one I'd traded to them for the privilege of the 4,000 mile test ride (I keep a lot of bikes and rarely put more than 4000 miles a year on any single one). This deal included cash back to me, and so I've also re-acquired a Rocket III Touring like the other bike I'd traded to get the K1600.

I do not miss the K1600GTL. I would miss my FJR if I were to make the mistake of getting rid of it again. Obviously, YMMV.

The new FJR even has cruise control, and I'll bet it works reliably. A lot of guys, including me, had cruise control failures, and in my case, they could not diagnose the problem (which they thought was in the instrument cluster) without getting two special cables shipped in from Germany. Then when they figured it out, the final diagnosis was the left multi-switch as in most other cases of failure. But since the left multi-switch had been replaced with a new part number, and since so many of them were needed for production and repairs, they were back ordered.

I like BMW and will still carry some water for them from time to time ... but I don't think you can beat the FJR.
Thank you for the information and I honestly hope I have a different experience with the bike or this could get even more expensive quickly. I am not sure how much two up riding you do but much of my decision was based on her comfort when we are out on the road. There was one piece of streatch where we had not got off for for a very long time (a full tank of gas) and she started crying. Its the first and last time she has done this and I wanted her to have more room. Given my 6'5" stature I take up more than my fair share of room on the bike and I do not see that happening with this bike. I will let the group know how it is going from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in our local BMW dealer a few weeks ago and was amazed to see how many used GTLs they had for sale at their three shops. I can't remember when I have seen so many new model, low mile motorcycles for sale. If anyone in New England is looking for a GTL that has taken the big depreciation hit, swing by Max BMW in N. Hampton, NH.

We just spent a couple of thousand miles on a BMW K1300GT with all the bells and whistles. To be fair, about 80% of our riding was done on hair-pin switchbacks and tightly twisting mountain roads allowing us to see the Sport side of Touring much more than Touring. After part of the first day the on-the-fly menu was switched to 2-up SPORT mode because it was needed. The only other time it got switched was on some really weather beaten mountain roads over 9k feet high where it got switched to COMFORT to soak up the chassis busting bumps. It was interesting that as soon as we got over 8k feet in altitude the engine did not run real well and idle was light and floated around. At 11k feet the idle speed wandered between 1k rpm and 2.5k rpm and lightly floated around just like a big vacuum leak would cause ;) After living with the K1300GT I have to tell ya, me likie --- my FJR. The one thing that did shine :) was the BMW HIDs. We did some high speed night riding with deer and bears and the headlights were tremendous.I have to admit that my Gen I is getting left behind by the new Gen III but we like my Gen 1 better than the Beemer. I am interested in the '13 but I'm not wanting to be one of the leaders until I see how things shake out.

IMG_0390sm.jpg

IMG_2555sm.jpg

I was in our local BMW dealer a few weeks ago and was amazed to see how many used GTLs they had for sale at their three shops. I can't remember when I have seen so many new model, low mile motorcycles for sale. If anyone in New England is looking for a GTL that has taken the big depreciation hit, swing by Max BMW in N. Hampton, NH.

We just spent a couple of thousand miles on a BMW K1300GT with all the bells and whistles. To be fair, about 80% of our riding was done on hair-pin switchbacks and tightly twisting mountain roads allowing us to see the Sport side of Touring much more than Touring. After part of the first day the on-the-fly menu was switched to 2-up SPORT mode because it was needed. The only other time it got switched was on some really weather beaten mountain roads over 9k feet high where it got switched to COMFORT to soak up the chassis busting bumps. It was interesting that as soon as we got over 8k feet in altitude the engine did not run real well and idle was light and floated around. At 11k feet the idle speed wandered between 1k rpm and 2.5k rpm and lightly floated around just like a big vacuum leak would cause ;) After living with the K1300GT I have to tell ya, me likie --- my FJR. The one thing that did shine :) was the BMW HIDs. We did some high speed night riding with deer and bears and the headlights were tremendous.I have to admit that my Gen I is getting left behind by the new Gen III but we like my Gen 1 better than the Beemer. I am interested in the '13 but I'm not wanting to be one of the leaders until I see how things shake out.

IMG_0390sm.jpg

IMG_2555sm.jpg
You mentioned you we riding 2-up, what were her thoughts on the GT and did she like it back there? Looks like a great ride! :dribble:

You mentioned you we riding 2-up, what were her thoughts on the GT and did she like it back there? Looks like a great ride! :dribble:
Let me set the stage. I own a '04 that has 8 years of farkling installed on it specifically to make it better for us, the BMW was 100% stock. I can't be objective because I went on the BMW with an expectation that I would love it. I looked for all its features and power to wow me and endanger my bank account by needing being compelled to buy one. Doncha just hate it when that sexy, beautiful young blond you are taking on an eight day lust date opens her mouth and spoils the whole thing? Alas, no love by either of us.

My wife had less seat space and less leg room. The stock BMW seat comfort is a tie for the stock FJR seat which is faint praise. After all kinds of expectations the 2 speed heated passenger seat went unloved. I will comment that the heated seat was odd, we were flying down the road in very cold air with cold rain running down my neck into my coat, cold rain was getting blown into my helmet and my ass was on fire. :unsure: The low setting didn't do much and the high setting didn't do much to make me more comfortable. YMMV.

The vaunted power never showed up, passing with alacrity required a lot of down clicking by the 6 speed close ratio transmission. I have had a lot of 6 speeds and loved them. This one, not so much. The stock windshield allowed slightly less turbulent air than the stock Gen 1 windshield and it offered no better weather protection though this was one thing that my wife did like better than the FJR at higher speeds. To get more picky, the multi-page information display was almost impossible to read in daylight and the gauges weren't much better. I used my GPS as a speedometer because it was much easier to read and way more accurate. The BMW speedometer was simply a trend indicator that was never very accurate at any speed.

I usually don't care or worry about MPG and I wouldn't be bothered that we almost never got as good as 40 MPG, however, with the smaller tank, longer distances between available fills and gas near Mono Lake at $5.69/gal for the premium fuel it required I did care this time.

Eventually I will get around to putting together a complete BMW evaluation. Man, I really wanted, nay, expected to be smitten and in love with this bike.

Thank you for the information and I honestly hope I have a different experience with the bike or this could get even more expensive quickly. I am not sure how much two up riding you do but much of my decision was based on her comfort when we are out on the road. There was one piece of streatch where we had not got off for for a very long time (a full tank of gas) and she started crying. Its the first and last time she has done this and I wanted her to have more room. Given my 6'5" stature I take up more than my fair share of room on the bike and I do not see that happening with this bike. I will let the group know how it is going from time to time.
The two up touring issue .... one of the really great things about the K1600 is that the luggage space is HUGE compared to the FJR's. The significant other will really appreciate the extra room for storing stuff. I don't tend to take a passenger myself. My wife and I have an arrangement whereby I do not muscle in on her gardening, and she doesn't muscle in on my motorcycling. :rolleyes:

Regarding the comfort issue, I could not get comfortable on my K1600GTL. Like so many other BMW saddles, they build a pocket in which you are expected to sit. I always ended up with CNS (crunched nuts syndrome) on longish rides. I paid the extra $725 to get the GT two piece seat, wiring harness, and fastening kit, and this gave me more room and mitigated the crunched nuts. But the seat was still not very comfortable for long rides. I then had Russell rebuild the two piece seat for another $700. In my past experience, having Russell rebuild a seat has always led to joy.... but not this time. My Russell seat equipped FJR is far more comfortable for me than my Russell seat equipped K1600 was. If folks are near tears while riding on a bike due to seat issues, a Russell seat is usually the cure.

Everyone's different, and you are significantly taller than I am. You may LOVE the K1600, and so might your pillion. I'm just saying that you ought to hold on to your FJR at least for several months, unless you were planning to get rid of it anyway. If you get to the point where you're sure you like the BMW better, let the FJR go. Maybe you can sell it on the Spring market.

I gave the same advice to a friend who bought an R1200GS last season and went on a long adventure ride. When he came back, he was so chuffed about the GS that he wondered aloud what he should do with his FJR. I told him to keep it. He and his girlfriend went on some long rides and did back to back comparos. The girlfriend voted for the FJR and so he's keeping both for now. You might want to keep both for a while too.

I looked for all its features and power to wow me and endanger my bank account by needing being compelled to buy one. Doncha just hate it when that sexy, beautiful young blond you are taking on an eight day lust date opens her mouth and spoils the whole thing? Alas, no love by either of us.
I had a very similar experience with a K1300GT, and my conclusion was to not trade the first FJR at that time.

I will say that I LOVE the K1300S, but it is a totally different animal at about 530 pounds and 175 horsepower. You can stick bags on it and pretend you are sport touring, but I like it better sans bags, and instead of pretending, I can be comfortable in that it is a genuine "gentleman's sport bike."

Regarding your comment earlier about the MAX inventory, MAX is a very good dealership and I have bought 3 BMWs from them at the NH store. MAX is selling trades as well as program bikes and demo bikes. It is a good place to get a deal at this time of the year.

I bought my K1600GTL from MAX and traded it at BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta. It was an expensive test ride, but it was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the cruise control, the great onboard storage, and the weather protection. :lol:

https://www.k1600forum.com Congratulations Trent, Deutschland Uber Alles! Do consider joining K1600 Forum and BMW MOA, lots of good information about Beemers at both. International BMW Rally is being held in Salem, OR next July. Auf Wiedersehen!
That K1600forum is populated by the whiniest bunch of old maids I've ever seen on motorcycles.

The BMW MOA is OK, and worth joining. I've still got two BMWs, and I love them both.

I am pretty confident the seat will not work but I am going to do some weekend runs up the coast and get a feel for the seat. If it does not work, off it goes to Russell for a complete reworking. I picked up 3 tickets this year not counting my traffic school and the cop that let me go for 22 miles over the limit. I am trying to slow it down just a little but its really hard and I really enjoy riding at the limit. Deep down I am hoping this bigger bike will not let me push the limits like I did on the FJR. At the rate of speed I like to ride at its only a matter of time when something is going to happen. :huh:

felt sure you would have been by here by now......

R
I am in a holding pattern to see if I can sell the FJR as is without stripping it. You up for a ride next Sunday morning?

Good luck with your new bike and may you always keep the rubber side down. I wish I had dough like that...must be nice! :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention, in appreciation of your purchasing a K16: BMW Motorraden sends you a "Garmisch Girl" for the weekend, Heidi on the right is yours and Top_Speed1 gets Inga on the left! Don't thank me, tell Hans und Dieter en Berlin: Viel Danke Schoen!

IMG_0711.jpg

I forgot to mention, in appreciation of your purchasing a K16: BMW Motorraden sends you a "Garmisch Girl" for the weekend, Heidi on the right is yours and Top_Speed1 gets Inga on the left! Don't thank me, tell Hans und Dieter en Berlin: Viel Danke Schoen!

IMG_0711.jpg
It seems BMW truely understands me and my needs. Other companies wonder how and why they are running away with all of the sales growth...

IMG_0711.jpg
Don, he doesn't need no German skanks. We have plenty of "Made In America" skanks already here...just waiting to pose with him.

I guess if you drink the Koolaid, your eyesight goes as well. :D

IMG_0711.jpg
Don, he doesn't need no German skanks. We have plenty of "Made In America" skanks already here...just waiting to pose with him.

I guess if you drink the Koolaid, your eyesight goes as well. :D
Marky-Mark, Papa Chuy Viejo is 64 years old: A Nod is as Good as a Wink to a Blind Horse!

The-Faces-A-Nod-Is-As-Good-As-A-WinkTo-A-Blind-Horse-Cd-Cover-32207.jpg

I think I congratulated you already somewhere else but anywhoo, a new Beemer deserves a Congrats again!!

I'm keeping my FJR along with my new '13 1600GT

I fip-flopped for several weeks on this model choice. The GTL is a much better deal if your going to buy the top case for the GT. Basically you get the LED foglights thrown in if you go with the GTL BUT (waffle-waffle) the GTL didn't quite have the lean angle and additional speed that my adrenalin side of me desired, not to mention that throatier exhaust was the final straw for my decision. Not sure either choice is a bad one, this bike is certainly top dog in the sport touring world ..at least right now :lol: If I went GTL like you I was thinking the exact same; tall seat option! (this is a free swap/opt if you order vs buy off the floor btw). Hope your dealer at least covered that!

My dealer threw in the Nav IV (I'm thinking that was like a $700 value?) and was willing to work with me, tossed in engine guards and a direct battery charging terminal, leather jacket n lots of shirts. Since I went with the GT, I had to buy the top case (cough~ $1500) and LED foggers which are now mounted (aesthetically) on the lower f-shroud.

Now go out and put some miles on that bad boy!